Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2009, 06:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default wanted: a good case

Need a decent case for my new i7 system, I have everything else (see sig) Suggestions? Budget is under 300 CAD unless it's something really worth getting. Chances are it will come from NCIX so I can a) use my 10 dollar giftcard before I lose it. & b) see if I can score some free shipping.

EATX would be nice as my Rampage 2 Extreme didn't fit into the Silverstone Fortress by a few mm.

I like my cases for the most part plain and simple. Modding is fine, but if I don't need to that's ok too. Don't really care for the LED light fans, and a quiet PC is always something I strive for.

For the time being everything is crammed into an Antec 300 I was going to use for a fileserver and I really notice how small it is now. Thankfully the PSU is modular but there's still wires everywhere for fans and the external USB / sound etc.

Options for water cooling would be nice as I just was given an (i think) Black Ice GT240.

I like the inside of the Storm Sniper but don't much care for the outside. The P183 that I built for my father I liked (also having a P182 myself) but I don't know if it will fit my stuff well. Not likely. I loved the quality/features/engineering of the Silverstone Fortress until I tried to fit the motherboard in it.

Help!

Old September 8, 2009, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What about the Antec P193? You like the P183 so you'll probably like the P193.

With NCIX price match it can be had for $169.99w Canada Computers. Only til Sept 10th.

Last edited by crazyhorsejohnny; September 8, 2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:26 AM
Rookie

I picked up a Cooler Master ATCS 840 and I gotta say that I totally love that case.
If the price is not an issue for you I can't justify not getting it personally.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:27 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

There's also the new Lancool (aka Lian-Li in steel) case that everyone seems to be loving. Why not look into that?
Old September 8, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Buy my case :P

Check buy and sell area.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah it's massive..

You have options like a HAF 932, ATCS 840, Stacker series are also pretty good.. With a $300 budget, I really am digging the new Corsair case, Obsidian, it's really big man..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old September 8, 2009, 11:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
With a $300 budget, I really am digging the new Corsair case, Obsidian, it's really big man..
Definitely the best laid out case you can buy. However it's full steel and weighs a ton.

It's worth considering Silverstone and Lian-Li's that use aluminum as well if you can find something suitable. Perhaps the new Raven or Fortress (don't think its out yet)?
Old September 8, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Definitely the best laid out case you can buy. However it's full steel and weighs a ton.

It's worth considering Silverstone and Lian-Li's that use aluminum as well if you can find something suitable. Perhaps the new Raven or Fortress (don't think its out yet)?
Yes I agree myself, but tell me sacrificing the weight, there really ain't many cases that offer a Hot Swappable SATA Plate in a case under $300.. Or you could add some wheels.. ..

But yea.. surely heavy, and I agree for $300 you could be able to get yourself a nice Lian Li case like a PC-v1010, and certainly not to forget the Tagan Black Pearl, which is an exact copy of the V2000 at a much lower price..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old September 8, 2009, 04:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I wanted to say that for that money a nice Lian-Li can be had, but others have already said it.
Although i can't compare, as it's my first non El Cheapo case, i'm very satisfied with it.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

Appreciate all the suggestions.. so far top of my list is the Lian Li A70F, i love the looks and features, also considering the Raven 2 and I may wait for the Fortress 2. The Corsair is nice but I don't really want to spend the full $300 if i don't need to. Maybe if I can make up my mind, then I just need to source some free shipping love.