Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2009, 09:00 AM
Rookie

Default Scared of Gravity

I am working towards my first watercooled PC and now have all the hardware. The case I selected was a MM Ascension with a custom rear panel to accomodate a 10 slot IO panel. Mobo is a Giga EX58 Extreme which will sit in a vertical orientation. Now the thing that is giving me cause for concern is the graphics cards. These will be two GTX 295 PLUS (older dual PCB) with AC AquagraFX waterblocks. The combination of cards and waterblocks represents a lot of mass and I'm wondering whether I can hang these cards horizontally supported only by the PCIe slot and the IO panel locking screw without something giving?

Do I need to fabricate extra supports to take the weight from the rear mass of the cards?

Also before I start work implementing the watercooling side of things (and disassemble the 295's to mount the blocks), I'd like to check everything is OK component wise and run the thing on air. Can I safely mount something like a Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler on a vertically oriented socket without gravity doing something nasty?

Thanks.
John
Old September 3, 2009, 01:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Take a look in this thread. Kruzn's got 2x295's in there, just like you plan to have. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...worklog-4.html
Old September 4, 2009, 08:43 AM
Rookie

Thx Sugar, I'll check it out.

J
Old September 4, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Crd will bend a ittle after a time but every high end VGA do it. Don`t really stress yo with that.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||