Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2009, 10:12 AM
Rookie

Default New build recommendations

Hi all, I just joined hardware canucks and find it very informative and a great site for my computing needs. I have been lurking at XS for quite some time but never bothered to register.

I mainly use the computer to game, video watching (HD), some school work. I tried to OC my rig, but it failed...and now restarts everytime I tried to OC a setting. (Note: that was my first time OC'ing a rig) I don't know what went wrong but, I'd be interested in doing some mild OC'ing if I can find a proper guide/guidance.

My current rig:
CPU: C2Q Q6600
MB: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
Case: Antec P182
Ram: 4x1gb Patriot Extreme
HD: WD 500GB
GPU: Powercolor 4770
PSU: Corsair HX620
and a DVD-reader/writer

Some parts that I current have on the side: 2x 300gb Velociraptor (HLFS) and a 1TB WD Black.

What I have in mind for some parts:

Case: CM HAF922/932
PSU: Probably be re-using the corsair
M/B: Depends if I go the Intel route or the AMD route

I'm in no hurry to upgrade my rig since new stuff would be coming out real soon, just that I need to get my HDD problem out of the way, so I'd say the HDD upgrade is more of a priority right now.

Question is:

-For the CPU upgrade, i'm not planning for the i7 9xx series, but I'm more interested in the i7, i5 and the AMD Phemon II. Which would be recommended?

-Should I jump on the SSD bandwagon now or wait till it becomes cheaper and better? There have been significant improvements on SSDs over a relatively short amount of time and that kind of worries me if I buy a SSD today and something a lot better will be out within 6-12 months. I do have 2x Velociraptor and a 1TB black in hand and wonder if I should just use that instead?

I will be updating this thread as time moves on. Depending on what CPU i'll be going for, this could be done within the next 2 months or till the end of December.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 27, 2009, 02:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have never used an SSD, but my vote is for using the Veliciraptors for your OS Disk, and use the 1TB Black and or 500gb for storage, etc. Running both Raptors in raid would be even better.

RAID 0 will make one stupid fast hard drive (like my 2X Raptor 74's did ). Raid 0 would give you the full 600 gigs with maximum speed (although a greater failure risk. However the Raptor drives are Industrial quality).

RAID 1 will give you reliability and speed. You would only have 300 gigs, but everything on one disk is always copied to the other. Read performance is roughly double what the single drive would be (Which is already very fast).

The URL below is a very nice read on RAID systems. IT also has animations, which can be helpful to learn.

AC&NC | RAID.edu - RAID Levels - RAID Level 0 - RAID 0

I highly suggest waiting on SSD's since you already have 2 exceptionally fast hdd's at your disposal (and I assume they are already paid for).

When I bought my 2 Raptor 74's and went RAID 0 is was a HUGE difference. VERY noticeable
Old August 27, 2009, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For SSD it depend on you're budget and if you're running Windows 7 (witch simplify thing a lot if you're a newb in SSD). a 60gb is about 240$ but it's freaking fast alone and in RAID0 it's ridiculously fast. The Vertex SSD seem very good you can check youtube for speed comparison..
Old August 27, 2009, 03:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Why upgrade those components? You have a very powerful rig CPU-wise, HDD-wise (Raptors, Raid 0 - need I say more), PSU is GREAT, I loved my DS3L / Q6600 combo... but I would seriously consider upgrading that GPU.

Of all your parts, going to a HD4980, or a GTX275 would make a world of difference over any other upgrade.

My 0.02$.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

I agree with Charlie, but maybe a step upto an X48 or P45 wouldn't be too bad. Charlie he has a RAID setup, sure ICHR10 (P45) will benefit, right?

Other than that, yes you need a GTX 275 or a 4870 for sure.. no point really in upgrading.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 27, 2009, 03:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A GPU upgrade will be far more noticeable than a chipset upgrade, which MIGHT increase throughput in RAID.

As for your OC problem, try disconnecting the board completely, removing the battery, waiting 15 minutes and clearing the CMOS. I had a similar issue with my E8400/P35DS3L combo.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:37 PM
Rookie

Thank you for all your inputs. I think I'll just settle for the Raid 0 on the raptors since I can't really sell them lol. As far as reliability is concerned, i don't think there's a difference of what I'm using right now (Single HDD with no backups, what-so-ever), so it should be fine, I just need the speed .

As far as the GPU is concerned, since I'm in no hurry to upgrade, I might as well wait for the new ATi 5xxx series and GT300 series to arrive and see how they perform. I am currently sort of taking a break on computer gaming since there's not much that interests me at all at the moment.

Why I'm even considering to upgrade the rest, is because I'm planning to give the computer to my parents. What they're using right now is the old P4, but I find it really slow, i think my AMD 2400+ can match speeds with it >.> In addition, that tiny HTPC-like case makes it impossible to add another HDD if I want to do a Raid-1. And, if it's used long enough, it feels like a boiler room inside the case. I try to do minor upgrades every 2 years to keep up to date and sell older unused parts around the house

I'd be keeping the PSU to myself, GPU will either go onto my next build (HTPC) or go with my current computer since I don't think the Mobo has on-board graphics? And to be honest, I want to get my hands on the new CM HAF 932 case :P

Speaking of doing a RAID, do I need some sort of controller or something? I've never done RAID before and never really considered doing it until mattydies showed me the link
Old August 27, 2009, 03:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

MY BAD! The P35-DS3L does not have RAID, I should have remembered that. The DS3R is the Raid version. So, if you want to go RAID, a mobo change is in order.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
MY BAD! The P35-DS3L does not have RAID, I should have remembered that. The DS3R is the Raid version. So, if you want to go RAID, a mobo change is in order.
Is it possible to just have some kind of add-on to support RAID instead of changing the entire mobo?
Old August 27, 2009, 03:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, but the hardware RAID cards start at around $300. Cheaper to get a new mobo.

Edit: I should note that there are software raid cards around that are much cheaper. I've never tried one though.