Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2009, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would get the DDR3, because if you want to change you're ram in 2 years (or add more). You'll cry with DDR2 prices...
Old August 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Top Prospect

im also debating getting the lancool dragonlord over the cm storm scout now?
any opinions?

(i like the lancool but prefer a red/black colour scheme)
Old August 25, 2009, 07:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Looking in the Lancool thread on the review it seems that availability will be your only problem with the Dragonlord. Nice case though.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 25, 2009, 08:32 PM
Top Prospect

Here is another way I could go with this build

Newegg.ca - Once You Know, You Newegg
Old August 25, 2009, 09:03 PM
MVP

Wait, hold off on the ddr3 thing.

If you get 4gb ddr2 now, that should be good enough for a long time.

2 years down the road, like someone mentioned. Do you think you will be upgrading the ram and other stuff? Or do you think you'll be building a completely new rig.

I don't see the point in buying a ddr3 mobo and paying a premium for both the ram and the mobo.

Personally, if I was in your situation and I went the ddr2 route. 2 years down the road I wouldn't be worried about upgrading ram, I would rather upgrade cpu and gpu. And if you did decide to upgrade your cpu and gpu in your comp, what would you do with the old stuff?

If you ask me, what I would do when the time came, I'd just build a new rig. Rather than add some ram
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old August 25, 2009, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucklaz View Post
Wait, hold off on the ddr3 thing.

If you get 4gb ddr2 now, that should be good enough for a long time.

2 years down the road, like someone mentioned. Do you think you will be upgrading the ram and other stuff? Or do you think you'll be building a completely new rig.

I don't see the point in buying a ddr3 mobo and paying a premium for both the ram and the mobo.

Personally, if I was in your situation and I went the ddr2 route. 2 years down the road I wouldn't be worried about upgrading ram, I would rather upgrade cpu and gpu. And if you did decide to upgrade your cpu and gpu in your comp, what would you do with the old stuff?

If you ask me, what I would do when the time came, I'd just build a new rig. Rather than add some ram
good point but it seems to come out to the same price with the parts I chose so I think ddr3 will be the better way to go for the "present". I was also hoping for some feedback on my second build proposal.... its a link to a newegg wishlist
Old August 25, 2009, 10:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I like the build! Pretty good specs! I agree with some of the other people here, you should change the CPU cooler to something like an OCZ Vendetta 2 or maybe even a TRUE. Also, like everyone else said, shop around and make sure you can find the best prices! Try to pricematch! Good Luck!
Dell XPS 630i / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.67GHz / Stock Cooling (Temporary) / 6GB DDR2 800 RAM + 4GB Windows ReadyBoost/ Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT / Samsung SpinPoint 640GB + Seagate FreeAgent 250GB / 750W PSU / Nvidia Nforce 650i SLI / Logitech X-235 Speakers + Plantronics .Audio 370 Gaming Headset / Dell 22' E228WFP / Razer DeathAdder /Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Airshehan
Old August 28, 2009, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Acer screen? what the hell are you thinking about??? cmon search on the internet a tru 24 inch from LG or samsung at 1920 / 1200 you can find them for like 30 box more. For AMD go with Hyper 212 for cooler, you can mount it any direction you want and it's really cheap can be pricematched for like 24 box I think.
Here are some good screen for a good price;)

NCIX.com - Buy Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX 23IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 2048X1152 5ms 20000:1DC 16:9 VGA DVI-D 1080P - LS23MYZKFV/XAC In Canada.
WOW LOOK AT THE PRICE! special is awsome maybe I could get one 8-)
NCIX.com - Buy LG W2442PA-BF 24IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 2MS 10000:1 300CDM 1920X1080 1080P HAS Tilt HDMI DVI - W2442PA-BF In Canada.

Ask for more.
Man, I have to agree with you! Acer screens are crap. They see to have good specs, but, when you actually look at them, the picture is so dull and the screen is really poor quality! Save your money and don't get an Acer monitor!
Dell XPS 630i / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.67GHz / Stock Cooling (Temporary) / 6GB DDR2 800 RAM + 4GB Windows ReadyBoost/ Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT / Samsung SpinPoint 640GB + Seagate FreeAgent 250GB / 750W PSU / Nvidia Nforce 650i SLI / Logitech X-235 Speakers + Plantronics .Audio 370 Gaming Headset / Dell 22' E228WFP / Razer DeathAdder /Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Airshehan
Old August 29, 2009, 06:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Acer is wrong, never think why they are like 100 box under every other brand? they are crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
Nice build................except for the Acer monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshehan View Post
Man, I have to agree with you! Acer screens are crap. They see to have good specs, but, when you actually look at them, the picture is so dull and the screen is really poor quality! Save your money and don't get an Acer monitor!
Okay I don't really get what all the Acer bashing is about. I have an Acer X223W and the picture is great! Yeah, I said it. This is an excellent monitor and I'm glad I saved some cash by buying it!

Word of advice for you bumfloss. -> Buy your monitor at a local shop if you can. Walk around, take your time, and have a good look at them.

I went to my local Futureshop and Staples stores comparing different brands and models. I chose this Acer monitor for a few good reasons. The picture, colours, and contrast looked great and the price was more reasonable compared to others. I've had it since December and I'm very happy with it and I don't regret buying it all. I never looked back and thought, "Man I should have sprung for that Samsung instead". I'm not trying to convince you to buy an Acer monitor. Just use your own judgement and get what you think looks good.
Old August 29, 2009, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Okay I don't really get what all the Acer bashing is about. I have an Acer X223W and the picture is great! Yeah, I said it. This is an excellent monitor and I'm glad I saved some cash by buying it!

Word of advice for you bumfloss. -> Buy your monitor at a local shop if you can. Walk around, take your time, and have a good look at them.

I went to my local Futureshop and Staples stores comparing different brands and models. I chose this Acer monitor for a few good reasons. The picture, colours, and contrast looked great and the price was more reasonable compared to others. I've had it since December and I'm very happy with it and I don't regret buying it all. I never looked back and thought, "Man I should have sprung for that Samsung instead". I'm not trying to convince you to buy an Acer monitor. Just use your own judgement and get what you think looks good.
I do have to admit, there are a few Acer monitors that do look good! But, most of the monitors from Acer I have seen, have always had some kind of flaw!
Airshehan