Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2009, 10:09 PM
Rookie

Default New build, new to forums.

Hey all! Im new to hardware Canucks and im finding this site great! And after reading other's builds im going to post my own. I have build 2 computers before this, but this will be my first OC computer. Any tips are welcome.

First off im using a HAF 932 as the base. I think im going to take it apart and colour the inside black and red. I've been reading moding sites about painting cases so i can't wait to start it :D

Ill put an x after items i've already picked up.

HAF 932 x
EVGA Classified x
i7 920 DO
Kingston HyperX 1600 8-8-8-24 x
CoolerMaster 212 CPU heat sink x
Ocz tech Vertex 60GB SSD ( OS HD ) x
WD Cavier Black 1TB HD
Sapphire HD 4890 Atomic
Seasonic M12D 850W x
Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan controller
And Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Paste x

I have two questions .... atlease for now :).

1) I want to use 2 fans on the CM 212. But i really have no idea what fans to use. Im looking for about a mid noice level fan. One i can turn down with the fan controller when im just surfing or idle.

2) I saw some builds where people that used a CM 212 in a HAF 932 had to remove the side 230mm fan and replace it with 3 120's.
a) Is this true?
b)What would be good fans to used if i do have to remove it?

Thanks for any help and comments!

Edit: Got the EVGA Classified

Last edited by MacPhal; August 23, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old August 21, 2009, 01:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just curious, isn't that motherboard SLI ? You are running ATi ? Kind of an unneeded expense... no ?
Old August 21, 2009, 02:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That motherboard supports both SLI and crossfire.
Old August 21, 2009, 02:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'D save some money and get a stock 4890 from XFX so you can get the lifetime warranty and OC the card yourself.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:18 AM
Rookie

Ya it does crossfire as well. A 2nd 4890 will be one of the first things i get after the main set is done.

So does XFX's warranty cover OC'ing? And if it does, does it still work if i add a 3rd party cooler?
Old August 21, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, and Yes to ur question

-Plato
Old August 21, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First of all, drop the Hyper-X if you plan OC this memory isn't what you are seacrhing for. Get some G.skill, Corsair, Mushkin memory these are killer for OC. Second you can get same PSU from other brand stick with corsair enermax and antec for less then the seasonic one. You can also save on the board by getting other brand then EVGA wich I think you paid only for the name.
Now for your question. Try to look at fan with good airflow, Noctua are expensive but they are killer fan for this type of usage. Yateloon also play the game really well.
IMO, It's better to have no fan infront of the cooler becasue these fan will *** up all the airflow, most of the time side fan are just fashion or to blow air in top sided cpu heatsink. Stick with the big fan wich you put on a fan controller and let it run very low so it wont scrap all your airflow and will be much more silent vs 4 or 3 120.
In side panel then you can get scythe slip stream 120mm they are silent and have a medium aiflow so it;s probably the best or noctualike this one with smaller prop.
NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 600-1200RPM 49.2-100.6M3/H 6.2-18.1DBA Molex - Noctua NF-S12B-FLX In Canada.

Ask if you need more adivce.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 21, 2009, 09:11 AM
MVP
F@H

Well, in the idea that you've already got the Hyper-X memory, I'd advise trading it in for some Mushkin or Corsair memory. And in regards to dual fans on the HSF. I'd say test it with one fan first, either push or pull config, depending on how you setup the airflow in your case. And if the fan mounted on the side windows obstructs your HSF I wouldn't say replace it with 3x120mm fans, I'd more or less throw 1-2x120mm fans. 3 is kinda overkill.
You don't NEED to go with the EVGA Classified, there are other viable options in better price catagories.
For example: Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 3PCI-E SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN 3-WAY CrossFireX Motherboard

Do you really need a fan controller? I could understand if you are running umpteen million fans... otherwise use your motherboards fan controllers. They're there for a very good reason.
And if you already have the Seasonic you might as well use it...
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old August 21, 2009, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

IMHO you should wait until Sept 10 when ATI will release it's HD5870 and 5850... it's less than 20 days...
Old August 21, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice looking build, nice parts list also!
Don't sweat the Fans, they're cheap, easy to install....I'm running Scythe S Flex 1200 RPM to 1900 RPM and all of em are relatively quiet!!