Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2009, 11:22 PM
Top Prospect

Default Build for my sister

Not really looking for advice since I already built the PC, but I'm interested in getting peoples' opinions, mostly because I am not familiar with AMD builds.

This one was for my sister. She does a lot of photoshop - right now she's creating proposals for different manga companies, and all her art work has been done in photoshop. Right now the extent of her gaming has been Sims 3 - and I don't see her getting much more intense than that.

The parts are as follows (pardon the cut and paste):

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
AMD Athlon II X2 245
OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-18
Powercolor Radeon HD 4670 PCs 750MHZ 512MB 1.74GHZ DDR3
Corsair VX550W 550W
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB

I was going to stuff everything into her old case, but when I realized how cruddy the airflow was in her case, I went to buy some fans at my cousin's shop, lucked out, and got an old Thermaltake from him for free - no idea what model, but it's huge, and runs quite cool.

All told, after shipping and handling and GST, the whole thing cost $510 - if she gets all her rebates, that should be $63 coming back her way.

I figured the X2 245 should hammer on her old socket 754 Sempron, and yet is quite cheap and thus no big loss should she down the road decide she needs a new processor. My 1GB 4670 has done quite well for me despite my desire to upgrade - and once again, she's not going to do much gaming, so it seems this should be adequate for her. I BELIEVE everything else should be fairly solid.

Given that her budget got pushed as hard as it could, almost to the dollar... is this a fairly decent build for the money, given the requirements?
Old August 18, 2009, 11:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Seems solid, though I'd drop down to the Corsair 400W or 450W to save a bit. Also could go with DDR2-800 if it's cheaper.

Perhaps a Western Digital or Seagate hard drive, but that's just personal preference.
Old August 18, 2009, 11:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

If you were already looking at upgrade, you could always sell her your GPU and put that money towards a new one. I'd second jdrom's suggestion of looking at a slightly lower wattage PSU to save some money, as well as dropping the RAM down to 6400 speed as that can probably shave a few more bucks of the total cost and will have little to no difference for practical uses. And if you are ordering online, make sure you order through NCIX and use their pricematch feature as that will definitely save you decent amount of money.
Old August 19, 2009, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect

The computer's already built... the 550W just happened to be on sale, with a mail in rebate (gag), so I figured why not? And... I guess I'm counting chickens before they hatch - but the DDR2 1000 RAM was a $2 over the cheapest DDR2 800 RAM available from NCIX at the time ASSUMING rebates come in. Same story with the PSU - I'm counting on a $33 rebate to get full value on that one. I probably would have preferred a Seagate or WD hard disk - but with her budget, I couldn't argue with a $70 1TB hard disk. If she had even just $20 or $30 more she could spend, I probably would have done things a little bit differently.

Also - I have to admit - PSU's aren't an area of strength of mine when it comes to knowledge - I figured I'd rather be significantly over requirements rather than uncomfortably close to minimum - so, being a bit of a chicken in that regard, I'd rather just buy a big PSU, and know I don't have a problem.

I'm almost thinking I should have given her my GPU like you sad CanadaRox... but I'm kinda determined to wait until closer to Christmas - if I'm going to upgrade from a 4670, I want it to be for the 5800 series - or at least for as cheap a 4870 as I can get

Thanks for the reviews guys - helps me to feel I did right by her with that computer.
Old August 20, 2009, 02:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplicito View Post
Also - I have to admit - PSU's aren't an area of strength of mine when it comes to knowledge - I figured I'd rather be significantly over requirements rather than uncomfortably close to minimum - so, being a bit of a chicken in that regard, I'd rather just buy a big PSU, and know I don't have a problem.
For PSUs, having too much is a thousand times better than not having enough. You definitely made a good choice to get the bit of extra power if you were unsure. I generally get a bump up from what I know will be enough, just to be sure, and to cover any future upgrades. Great build and I'm sure your sister will be really happy with it!
Old August 20, 2009, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually a thousand would be a bit incorrect......a 1200W for mitx atom in the extreme just doesn't make any economical or logical sense XD

Old August 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
Actually a thousand would be a bit incorrect......a 1200W for mitx atom in the extreme just doesn't make any economical or logical sense XD
Huh? Was that response meant for a different thread maybe?
Old August 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

He was referring to how CanadaRox it's 1000 times better to get a bigger PSU.
Old August 20, 2009, 03:22 PM
Top Prospect

Ah... gotchya.

I do have a question about the X2's... when my sister's PC is running, coretemp reports a processor temperature of 20 degrees - this doesn't seem remotely realistic given how my Q9550 runs. Are AMD chips just that much cooler than Intel chips?
Old August 20, 2009, 06:14 PM
MVP
F@H

Well, it depends on a lot of factors. Are you O/Cing your Q9550? And is that the temp at load or idle?
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr