Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   My first build; need someone to double check my parts (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/21946-my-first-build-need-someone-double-check-my-parts.html)

Fenrise August 14, 2009 11:02 PM

My first build; need someone to double check my parts

Hello there HardwareCanucks! :canadianwave:

I've been a long time reader of this sites reviews; love how this site is laid out and the quality and quantity of reviews being put out.

But today is not a day for me to read reviews, no, today is a day for you to review me!

I recently came into a bit of money (around 1500CAD) and decided I wanted to get a gaming rig. I played around with the idea of getting one pre made, but was always fascinated by the whole build process. I'd always done small repairs or upgrades to friends of family's PCs, but never a full build.

After looking at a few websites, and realizing how much I was being charged over what it actually cost, I decided that I would build my own... and what an experience its been just picking out parts!

Anyway, this is what I've ended up coming up with...

Newegg.ca - Once You Know, You Newegg

It falls right in line with my budget, $1,323.09 CAD after taxes/shipping. I do have a bit of wiggle room thought. The most I'm willing to spend is 1500CAD, but I never want to spend more then I need to and did some research on cost/value and decided on the pieces I did.

Now, if I'm 100% wrong on a certain piece and an upgrade is an order, the let me know! I'm not hoping for some crazy quad-crossfire uber machine of death; but something that can play most games at 1680 x 1050 without hickuping on Ultra High and maybe even with a little AA and AF.

I really appreciate your time and effort; I really hope I can give something back to the Canuks community at some point, as you've guys already helped me so much already with your reviews.

Again, thank you! :clap:

Also, one last thing. For thermal paste, the heatsink/fan I chose comes with some generic stuff. With the CPU I've chosen, would it be worth my while to go get some Artic Silver?

CanadaRox August 14, 2009 11:22 PM

Looks like a pretty solid rig. I'd STRONGLY recommend you order from NCIX and use PriceCanada.com with NCIX's pricematch feature as you'll definitely save a few bucks. You can probably also find a 4890 for cheaper than that 4870 you have. Personally I'd spend a bit more on a keyboard as you will notice the difference. You don't need some crazy $100 gaming keyboard, but you will definitely be much happier with a bit better of a keyboard. Also, the Antec 900 is notorious for being a terrible case for cable management, so you might want to look into a different case or a modular PSU.

I don't see a heatsink in there, but the stock one will come with some thermal paste on it. If you plan on overclocking the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is a great heatsink and I remember reading it can have any orientation on an AM2/3 board which some heatsinks can't do.

Fenrise August 15, 2009 03:58 AM

Thank you! I'll definitely be looking into that =)

martin_metal_88 August 15, 2009 04:51 AM

Solid build my friend welcome to HWC!!! Look with NCIX pricematch feature if you cans ave enough to get an upgrade on the CPU, you will also certainly save on the shippng. If you are from canada Newegg will ship from state by UPS wich will cost you 2 taxe, and some fee from crossing the Canadian line, and UPS is hard on shipping cost. From NCIX you will have 1 tax ( if you are out of quebec ) price matchpossible, no line crossing fee and ship by anyone you want, puro canadapost fedex etc. But, the rig is solid;) have fun taking all the part togheter and post on workblog!!!

Ask for more.

Kilauea August 15, 2009 05:39 AM

Like others have said, it seems like a solid build, but it would be a good idea to order at NCIX since you can price match all the items and you can benefit from their surprise special deals or extreme deal of the day.

Also, maybe I would change the ram for some cheaper RAM, its a bit slower and has a slower CAS, but I doubt you would notice it specially since you do not seem to be an overclocker.

Then, maybe I'd install windows 7 RC and wait until it comes out in October (actually buy it a few months later), you've got until March 2010 (or was it May ?).

Is there any reason why you did not consider the Caviar Black ?

Getting a modular PSU would surely be a good idea too.

martin_metal_88 August 15, 2009 07:30 AM

If you don't want to spend on a modular PSU ( stick with corsair ) get a case with better cable management it will be cheaper upgrade and better for longtime rig with the TX 750. Caviar black is like 5$ more?? take it take it!!!
What I'd sugest about the windsows is to get a Vista /7 Upg version. it will be good priced and will prevent you from the fact to have a RC. Get a full vista with Update and wait like 1 or 2 month after 7 release to be sure that the biggest bug are past.
It's true that ram is pretty hard priced but she is really agressive on timing so it's the price for good memory, you can also try to find G.skill at like 100$ will have lower timing for sure.

Ask for more.

JD August 15, 2009 08:40 AM

I'd consider this motherboard instead since you don't need onboard graphics:
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Though Newegg is grossly overpriced, Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P AMD790X ATX AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E SATA2 RAID Sound GLAN Motherboard - DirectCanada

Also I see you're buying a 802.11n WiFi card, if you do have a N network at home, then I'd really suggest buying the matching/recommended adapter for the router. That way you'll be ensured of getting the best speeds.

Fenrise August 16, 2009 05:57 AM

Thank you all for your sound advice =), I just got home from a trip and got to read through these. I will be defiantly looking at that ram and mobo. Do you think a CPU upgrade is worth it?

Fenrise August 16, 2009 08:22 AM

So, I think I may be done bugging you after this final post...

This is what I think will do it..

Tech Specs:

Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P AMD790X ATX AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E SATA2 RAID Sound GLAN Motherboard

G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

ASUS Radeon 4870 Dk 750MHZ 1GB

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition

Corsair TX750W 750W

Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower

Samsung SH-S223Q

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

Will be buying this today if everything seems in order =)

martin_metal_88 August 16, 2009 09:24 AM

ahah now you have a beast my friend!
Post on workblog when building.

Ask for more.