Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2009, 11:56 PM
Rookie

Default Wondering if this Power Supply will be Strong Enough?....

Hey Guys I'm new to the forums, but, I have a question.

I currently have a Corsair 450 watt PSU. (With a single 33 amp 12 volt rail)
I need to know if it will be enough to power this system.

EVGA 790i FTW
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (no OC)
8GB DDR3 RAM (1600MHz)
1 BFG 9600GT
Say, 4 or 5 SATA HDDs

It would be a fairly simple system to power, but, I'm just wondering on how much I would push that power supply.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old August 14, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that even under 100% load it would be fine, and for quite a few years. Just my opinion....
Old August 14, 2009, 12:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, that 450W in reality is probably about 475W... which is still kinda low, If I were you, I'd upgrade to at least to maybe a Corsair 650W, which will also give you a little more headroom if you ever intend to get a new Graphics card.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well - here's the way I see it - if it makes no sizzling noise and it don't smell burnin' then it is enough !

But on a more serious note - by today's standard, you would be better off future proofing and getting a bigger power supply - I would use 550W is a minimum and go up from there - I mean even if it does work I would not want the PSU to be on the edge - I usually choose a PSU above the requirements, so it's not straining and I know I can count on it for future updates. Now you mention 4 or 5 hard drives, plus you have to take into account the PSU's own reseved power which is usually 20-25W. Your graphics card requires minimum 28A on the 12V rails, so to be honest I would not live on the edge like that and go for at least a 550W for your setup.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Well - here's the way I see it - if it makes no sizzling noise and it don't smell burnin' then it is enough !

But on a more serious note - by today's standard, you would be better off future proofing and getting a bigger power supply - I would use 550W is a minimum and go up from there - I mean even if it does work I would not want the PSU to be on the edge - I usually choose a PSU above the requirements, so it's not straining and I know I can count on it for future updates. Now you mention 4 or 5 hard drives, plus you have to take into account the PSU's own reseved power which is usually 20-25W. Your graphics card requires minimum 28A on the 12V rails, so to be honest I would not live on the edge like that and go for at least a 550W for your setup.
Thanks DarKStar,

I know, I normally would agree with you (and I will be upgrading to the Corsair HX850 watt PSU once I update the graphics card, which may come sooner or later), normally yes, I would get at least a 600 watt for that kind of setup, but, seeing as I have a 450 watt PSU just lying around and it's just 3 months old, I was wondering if it would be enough.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Forthelulz View Post
Well, that 450W in reality is probably about 475W... which is still kinda low, If I were you, I'd upgrade to at least to maybe a Corsair 650W, which will also give you a little more headroom if you ever intend to get a new Graphics card.
When I upgrade the graphics card, I'm looking at getting an HX850. I think that should be enough, yes?
Old August 14, 2009, 02:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

You've got lots of room. I've been running a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz and an heavily overclocked 8800GTS 640 for over a year now on one of those VX450's, and the fan barely starts to ramp up. According to my UPS, the system pulls about 380W when both the CPU and GPU are fully loaded. After you factor in the PSU's efficiency, that works out to the actual system pulling 330W at most. Your system is almost certainly going to need less power than mine, so you won't have any trouble at all.
Old August 14, 2009, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

YES!!! VINDICATION!
Old August 14, 2009, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think it'll work fine.

Just when you get a higher end video card, you should really upgrade then.
Old August 14, 2009, 08:38 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
YES!!! VINDICATION!
It's a good feeling. Use it. Use it. Use it.

Did anyone else think Blade Trinity Really Sucked? lol...

Back On Topic: Getting a Kill-A-Watt or UPS with a watt meter is the best way to debunk all the PSU myths really quickly.

Tags
bfg , computers , corsair , evga , power