Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2009, 06:23 PM
MVP
F@H

Question New Rig (Requesting Some Advice)

(First Post)
:help:

Hello everyone, recently found this site from reviews whilst looking for parts to build my new rig (and ordering my motherboard... lol)

I'm by no means completely new to building computers, I've been working on them for 10 years (with help for the first 4). I've already decided on the platform I'm running, and purchased the motherboard. Also I'm using a chassis that I've had here for about 2 years... details below.

---------------------
Motherboard:
ASUS R.O.G. Crosshair III 790FX (AM3 Socket, DDR3 {1600Mhz Native}, 2x PCIe16, 2x PCIe1)
---------------------
Chassis:
Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS SuperTower (ATX clearly based on the motherboard... although holds other FF)
---------------------
CPU (Need to purchase):
AMD Phenom II X4 955 B.E. AM3 3.2GHZ
- Right now this is what I'm considering purchasing. I've had a lot of people tell me to grab the X3 purely based on the idea that the 4th core can be unlocked using the 790FX chipset. The only thing is that I'm not sure that I want to void a warranty, nor do I believe that with my luck I'll receive a stable core after the unlock... Am I being too cautious? Or should I consider the price difference for the X3 chip?
---------------------
RAM:
Mushkin HP3 996629 4GB 2X2GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit
- Just purchased
---------------------
Video Card (Need to purchase):
eVGA nVidia GTX 275 896MB GDDR3
- I've always been an nVidia nut. But I'm not sure whether to go with this card, or an ATI card. This is one of the big points I'm stuck on along with the RAM... I'm too indecisive.
---------------------
PSU:
Corsair TX850W 850W
- Just purchased.
---------------------
HDD (Have tons of spares...)
---------------------
Optical Drives (have spares...)

EDIT:
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I tend to multitask often. The PC will be used for both multimedia applications (Photoshop, etc.) and gaming.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Price range: Nothing specifically. I would prefer to keep the remaining components within the $800-$900 range if at all possible.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
All parts will be purchased within Canada. Mainly from NCIX but if better prices can be found, well, who doesn't like to save on parts?

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
No real brand preferance. Performance > brand specific IMO

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Using current optical drives and HDD array.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Browsed and saw that most new builds look to be i7 core based...

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
O/Cing my hardware is something I will be doing. Might also be looking into some aftermarket cooling products after I finish with this rig.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Building this system ASAP.

Last edited by Safearus; August 14, 2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old August 13, 2009, 06:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So we may better help you and keep within a potential budget and type of parts, edit your original thread or post after this the answers to this questionaire: NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell
Old August 13, 2009, 06:41 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
So we may better help you and keep within a potential budget and type of parts, edit your original thread or post after this the answers to this questionaire: NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell
Sorry about that, didn't check the stickies prior to posting... edited.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd stick with the X4 if you're into multitasking. Having a proper quad-core will do wonders, rather than counting on being able to unlock a X3 720.

Video card wise, I'd serious consider the HD4890. It's typically cheaper and performs nearly spot on with the GTX275.

PSU, definitely no need for 1KW. Look at the 750W range IMO. Leaves you enough headroom for any GPU upgrades in the future. Typical recommendation is the Corsair 750TX.

For the RAM, I think Patriot stuff is the cheapest, though that OCZ stuff should do fine too.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The 965 was just released, in place of the 955, an instant 200mhz bump at the same price.

I would also recommend a 4890, particularly an XFX - priced well, good cooling, no awful looking people on the shroud.
Old August 14, 2009, 04:33 AM
MVP
F@H

Wait, the 965 is the same price as the 955? Really?
Hmm, I'll look into what I can find pricewise on those GPU units together and see what I can find
And the 750TX was an option I was looking at, I was just considering the 1kW as per I'm tempted to run a 5 HDD Sata2 raid array... I'm not sure 750W would be enough for that. I'll have to look further into it.

Thanks for your input and help guys, much appreciated, I'll post pics when completed!

EDIT: Yeah, the 965 is only $3 more... well... atleast @ NCIX. However not in stock as of yet. Now I've ordered the PSU (Actually got the Corsair TX850W for less than a TX750W: I LOVE RANDOM SALES!) and my RAM. Decided to go away from the OCZ and I've never read much good about Patriot so I went with something I knew I could get results from (Mushkin HP3 996629 4GB 2X2GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600)

Thanks again guys, just waiting to get paid again to buy the GPU/CPU (Waiting for them last hoping for some last minute major price drops... LOL)

Last edited by Safearus; August 14, 2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old August 14, 2009, 06:12 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safearus View Post
Mainly from NCIX but if better prices can be found, well, who doesn't like to save on parts?
You WILL find better prices elsewhere, just stay with NCIX and use pricematching on every item you will buy. Unless you do not want to wait for back ordered items, buy everything from ncix, IMO.

Old August 14, 2009, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX is awsome. Their service is bar none, and they always have stock on the commonly bought stuff. Hell, half the time they have stock on the rarely bought stuff too

And when in doubt, price match. Ive only had NCIX turn me down once on a price match. That was on a Vertex 120gb from Newegg that they were selling below cost. Use the "Price Comapre" button at the top. Its the best engine around imo.

As to your rig questions;

The x3 720 is a kickass processor. I'd be one for trying my luck to unlock, but I'm one of the same people that buys processor based upon their ability to overclock. I love things for nothing . You listed Photoshop as one of your main uses of the computer. If you MUST have the cores, pay for them. Dont risk not being able to unlock the core. I would also highly recommend thinking about i5/i7 or even Core2Quad if Photoshop is your main beast. If your main vice is actually gaming, and you dont -really- need that 4th core, grab the x3 720 and shoot for the unlock! .

Good choice on the ram, my 3 personal ram types are Mushkin, Gskill, and Corsair.

GTX 275's are the bomb, if you fold. I love mine. But I dual monitor game at high resolutions, too. If you dont fold, or play at high resolutions, get a 4870 or 4890. Similar performance at lesser resolutions, for less money.

Welcome to HWC
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; August 14, 2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old August 14, 2009, 08:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safearus View Post
And the 750TX was an option I was looking at, I was just considering the 1kW as per I'm tempted to run a 5 HDD Sata2 raid array... I'm not sure 750W would be enough for that. I'll have to look further into it.
For the record, hard drives barely pull any power, definitely don't need anything amazing for 5 hard drives.

Though you grabbed the 850W anyways which will be more than enough for quite some time.
Old August 14, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with ATI 4890 because your mobo CAN Crossfire. And please buy XFX versions of video cards :)

-Plato