Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2009, 10:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure why everyone suddenly suggest XFX over all other ATI brands. Sure they have the best warranty, but otherwise it's just a reference card. It's not like they do anything to make the card itself better that I'm aware of.

I've owned:
Diamond HD4850 - horrible support, but at the same time it was my fault for it breaking and lets not get into ethical issues. So even though it took me like 2 months to get a hold of Diamond, at least they took the RMA and sent me a working card back.
HIS HD4850 ICEQ4 - still running fine, no complaints. Used better Samsung memory instead of Qimonda.
Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X - liking the Vapor-X design - better components and better/quieter heatsink

Typically you'll never have to use warranty if you treat the card properly, as in make sure it has adequate airflow and don't attempt to do anything to it physically. And if you don't OC then your chances are even higher of it not dying on you. And the odd time you might get a defective card, it's usually within 30 days so you could deal with NCIX directly (or wherever you buy it).

That's just my thoughts though.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
MVP
F@H

Again thanks for the suggestions, and now I'm being pushed closer and closer to the X4 with the GTX 275
Main reasons being: Yes I photoshop, but not enough to spend the cash on an i7 (even at current rates, and I will admit, I've prefered AMD since the k6).
I still don't think that going for an X3 (AkA X4 lotto) is worth it because I am a multitasking maniac. On my current rig I will run photoshop whilst running certain games. Not to mention I don't like the wait for Apophysis on this 1.6Ghz single core P4 (oh yeah, I'm that outdated right now)

And I really don't understand the whole XFX thing myself either... whenever dealing with an ATI card I tend to lean towards HIS even if their support is in China or whereever. nVidia I will lean straight to eVGA (Dealt with them many times, customer service is great, replaced 7200GS with a 9800GTX due to not manufacturing, step-up program, etc)

Thanks for the warm welcome again, I do believe that with the helpfulness and friendliness of this community I'll become a regular :D

EDIT: Also if I remember correctly, there was something I was reading that CrossfireX boards will pretty much emulate SLI however slightly buggy... hmm... Still, I don't think I would bother as if I'm going to do that type of thing, I'd go 3x GPU (Mobo only has 2x PCIe16)

EDIT#2: Well, now looking further into the whole budget of things, as I have been ordering piece by piece... I'm not sure if I want to use an nVidia card because this mobo allows Crossfire and only one Crossfire chipset allows using SLI cards in SLI... And I don't feel like building a whole new rig to make a tri-SLI card setup anytime soon...
That being the case I'm looking at these two cards:
HIS Radeon HD 4850 ICEQ4 Turbo 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card

And

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Any suggestions?In this case it looks more like I want to go with the Sapphire card for what I think is obvious reason. $30 price change for a slightly newer card, with double the memory on it. Not to mention faster memory. But I just don't feel like waiting a month to finish this rig 100%. Motherboard is in the case now, as I'll be using stock CPU HSF for the time being. Waiting on the PSU/RAM to get in so I can install that.
Any to anyone building a new system, Avoid the Thermaltake Armor series as per it's a pain in the but to remove the "No Tools" crap so you can fit things in like an HD sound card that comes with the ASUS Crosshair III motherboard. Not that it was hard. I just didn't like the idea of doing it at all.

Again thanks for all the input and help guys :D

Last edited by Safearus; August 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old August 16, 2009, 02:34 AM
MVP
F@H

So I decided that I have the spare cash to throw at an HSF, and my brother needed a bolt-through one as is due to his AM2 plastic bracer breaking on him, and the fact is that a tie-strap is holding this stock HSF onto his CPU (downclocked to keep within decient temps).
So I bought 2x Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA775 LGA1156 120MM through NCIX (pricematched, for total $10 savings)
Needless to say at this point, still waiting on picking a GPU and considering the ATIs moreso right now due to price difference... Not to mention Crossfire at a later point... still tempted to put out the lil extra for that GTX 275 though.

EDIT: Wondering if I should even bother making a worklog on this PC due to it looks like most of the people reading and posting those are building vets, or casemodding (which I'm not doing at this point... need more cashola before I'll attempt this one)

If anyone would like to see a worklog made of this and my girlfriends system I'm building (which is similar... same mobo anyways) just leave a post saying so and I'll make sure to have lots of pictures!
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old August 16, 2009, 08:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safearus View Post
EDIT: Wondering if I should even bother making a worklog on this PC due to it looks like most of the people reading and posting those are building vets, or casemodding (which I'm not doing at this point... need more cashola before I'll attempt this one)

If anyone would like to see a worklog made of this and my girlfriends system I'm building (which is similar... same mobo anyways) just leave a post saying so and I'll make sure to have lots of pictures!
By all means do a build log please. And include lots of pictures. No matter how many machines I build there are always things to learn from seeing other people's work. As well, when looking for new parts I really like reading build logs and seeing the parts going into a case.

Just my 2 cents.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 16, 2009, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 Dwayne

Buildlogs are always different, so it's always nice to see a new combination of hardware.

DO a worklog!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old August 16, 2009, 11:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you can afford a GTX275, then I'd suggest getting a HD4890 over the HD4870.

However if you are stuck between the HD4850 and HD4870, definitely pay the little extra for the HD4870. You'll be thankful you did a few months from now.

And you don't need to write a huge build-log, pictures say a thousand words
Old August 16, 2009, 08:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice case like that, definitely want to see a build log!
Old August 17, 2009, 05:56 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
If you can afford a GTX275, then I'd suggest getting a HD4890 over the HD4870.

However if you are stuck between the HD4850 and HD4870, definitely pay the little extra for the HD4870. You'll be thankful you did a few months from now.

And you don't need to write a huge build-log, pictures say a thousand words
It's not really a budget question, it's more of a "how long do I want to wait" type of thing. If I wait 3 months my friend will be selling his GTX 295 CO-OP and I'm sure within that time frame I'd be able to save enough to buy it off of him.

And it's been decided that I will definately make a worklog for both PCs. They're both getting pieced together at once, and tested at the same time, so I'll use the same log. I don't think she is going to name her rig tho, as it's mainly for a free FPS called Combat Arms, and at the same time MSN and watching movies... lol. So yeah, her's will have a little lower performance equipment, and I'm going to get what is within my "price range" to build a multi-tasking / gaming rig.
On another note: the Thermaltake Armor is huge, but to what I've experienced it's also VERY inefficient... I might havta custom make some parts for it later to add a few more 120mm fans to the case just to make the damn airflow worth having that case... however I do like the tons of room feature

Also I'm again considering the GTX 275, just purely because the fact is... I am an nVidia nut. **headdesk**

Also, now I'm kinda pissed with NCIX... I put through payments on two seperate orders last week, one for my PSU/RAM and the other for the 2 heatsinks... still haven't gotten the payment confirmation. FFS. Stupid eBilling crap. I shoulda just used the damned VISA and at least that way I'd already have the parts... at this rate it'll be a month before all my parts get here purely because of stupid crapola. It might not be just NCIX it could also be with my bank, in which case I'm going to talk to the guy I signed up for my account with and get this crap all straightened out ASAP cause I'm tired of processing payments taking 5-6 business days when it's claimed to take 1-2

Now that I'm done swearing...
Nonetheless, once these parts get in I'll have a blase getting this system 100% together. The case has been waiting 2+ years in an outdoor shed for storage... and some water leaked in... had to use a wirebrush bit in the dremel to clean the rust off (needa buy another bit to finish cleaning off the 3x5.25" HDD mounting rack)

Maybe I'll get bored after I take the mobo out because I have a HSF for my CPU with a bolt through kit coming in now. *shrugs* I wonder how an armor would look if I painted the whole damned thing some kinda red with a silver logo/name written on it. *ponders*

/end useless amounts of information that noone really needs...
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

Last edited by Safearus; August 17, 2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Cause I can!
Old August 17, 2009, 09:08 AM
MVP
F@H

And thanks to Squeetard now I needa save up more cash to buy 2xSSD drives because he provided numerical information that Raid0 isn't a waste with SSD drives as I thought it would be

However it'll improve me system a bit!
But those'll haveta wait.
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW