Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2009, 07:12 AM
Top Prospect

Smile Planning to build i7 RIG, Need advice!

Hi,

I'm still new to the forums but i am pretty experienced in computers (going for the A+ in 2 weeks).

I am planning on building a new i7 rig.

1. It will be used mainly for gaming, homework, music, email, movies, and other small tasks.

2. $3000-$3500 CAD

3. Buying parts from CANADA (TORONTO)

4. Brand, Intel Core i7, and nVidia GTX 280+ (Buying 2 for dual sli)

5. Not planning on using any current parts.

6. I have researched and i have a few questions which i will post under this.

7. Planning to build in 1-2 weeks.

Okay,

so my specs are:

Case: Thermaltake VH6000BWS Armor+
Mobo: EVGA x58 Classified mobo
CPU: Intel i7 920
Video Cards: EVGA GTX 280 (2 of them for dual SLI)
RAM: OCZ 2000 Mhz 6GB RAM
HDD: Seagate 1GB
Cooling: Swift tech H20 Apix Ultima
Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1 surround sound
Headset: Tritton AXPRO 5.1
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-fi Fatalty Xtreme Gamer

So, that is going to be my rig.

NOTE: I won't be overclocking TOO much, that is why i am asking for some advice.

Is this rig good enough for my needs or do i have too much that i don't need.

I know the Core i9 and GT 300 is coming out in Q1 2010 but i don't know if i have enough money for that.

I need to know if there is something i should replace.

Thanks alot
Old August 13, 2009, 07:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chintu92 View Post
I know the Core i9 and GT 300 is coming out in Q1 2010 but i don't know if i have enough money for that.
Seriously? Your budget is 3.5k and you don't think you'll have enough? You will, trust me.

Anyway, here are my thoughts.
Case: Thermaltake doesn't make quality cases. I suggest Lian-Li or Coolermaster.
Mobo: The board you chose is certainly a good board, but a bit overkill. Up to you.
HDD: I think you meant 1TB? And I'd go with WD instead of Seagate.
Sound Card: You'd be better off with an Asus Xonar DX.

Other than that it's pretty good.
Have fun building!
Old August 13, 2009, 07:54 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Bromate View Post
Seriously? Your budget is 3.5k and you don't think you'll have enough? You will, trust me.

Anyway, here are my thoughts.
Case: Thermaltake doesn't make quality cases. I suggest Lian-Li or Coolermaster.
Mobo: The board you chose is certainly a good board, but a bit overkill. Up to you.
HDD: I think you meant 1TB? And I'd go with WD instead of Seagate.
Sound Card: You'd be better off with an Asus Xonar DX.

Other than that it's pretty good.
Have fun building!
O yes, 1 TB hehe

How much will the new processors and new GT 300 series graphics cards cost?

Because 3.5K includes shippings and taxes
Old August 13, 2009, 07:57 AM
Rookie

No price range is set, but I can pretty much guarantee that with that budget, you'll be able to get one. Build the computer, use those specs, and use your current graphics card until the new series is out. With the money left over from your budget, you'll definitely be able to buy a 300 series card.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:10 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Bromate View Post
No price range is set, but I can pretty much guarantee that with that budget, you'll be able to get one. Build the computer, use those specs, and use your current graphics card until the new series is out. With the money left over from your budget, you'll definitely be able to buy a 300 series card.
My current graphics card is completely bogus...a GeForce 6150
Old August 13, 2009, 08:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If your going gaming and have the larger budget, i think you should get at least 1 SSD seeing as you'll get even better performance for your hdd that way, you can decide if you want just a small one for your OS, or a larger one for your OS and games
Old August 13, 2009, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you getting water cooling for just the looks I assume, since you said you won't be overclocking much? I wouldn't get water cooling gear unless you want to push your computer to its limits.

Thermaltake makes some pretty crappy cases, and while the one you mentioned is quite large, it sucks. Get an ATCS or HAF 932 or something that really spells performance.

There is no point getting the EVGA X58 Classified unless you either want to overclock to the limit or have it for eye candy. There's boards half the price that will get the same performance out of it.

The GTX 280 is old tech. Get a pair of GTX 285s or 275s if you really want something newer.

Definitely go for either Western Digital Caviar Blacks or Seagate's 7200.12s. Both of those are great models and have plenty of speed. However, with your budget, why not go for an SSD for the OS and a nice 1 TB drive for data?

Everything else is cool. I really wouldn't both waiting for the new tech coming out. Heck we can't even hit the limits of today's tech right now. It's more than fast enough.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:06 AM
Top Prospect

Is a 850W Power supply enough or do i need a 1000 PS?

Also, What does the Solid State Hard Drive do? I mean, why is it so expensive? And why is it good for me to use that for my OS?

Last edited by Chintu92; August 13, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

+1 on what bojangles is saying

Solid State Hard Drives are basically flash memory in higher storage capacity, so they have access, read/write times that are miles faster/better then a regular hard drive. The reason you'd want this for your OS is the fact it will speed booting up, as well as increase overall performance and response of OS as well.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:17 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
+1 on what bojangles is saying

Solid State Hard Drives are basically flash memory in higher storage capacity, so they have access, read/write times that are miles faster/better then a regular hard drive. The reason you'd want this for your OS is the fact it will speed booting up, as well as increase overall performance and response of OS as well.
How big of a SSD would i need?