Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Friends "all in one" PC

So, I'm building a new rig up for my friend. Shes running an old P4 hunk-o-junk that Ive been keeping up on Life Support for way too long. Formats and repairs aside...

They use it as a kind of HTPC, they stream movies to their TV. Listen to music. Web browsing. Poker. You know, typical young-adult non gaming stuff. My self imposed limit for them is no more then $500, and I wont be reusing any of their old parts (KB/Mouse/Monitor aside). Oh, minus an external HDD they have.

I'm thinking AMD for this build, but I'm not opposed to Intel if it works out cheaper:

NCIX.com - Buy AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Triple Core Processor AM3 2.8GHZ 7.5MB Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box - HDZ720WFGIBOX In Canada. (Pricematched to 149.00 at the egg)

NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin HP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - 996587 In Canada. (pricematched to 63.23)

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H AMD785G ATX AM3 2PCI-E DDR2 Video Sound GLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard - GA-MA785G-UD3H In Canada. (pricematched to 93.89)

NCIX.com - Buy Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio - THREE HUNDRED In Canada. (pricematched to 55.77)

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135MM Fan Active PFC Power Supply - OCZ500MXSP In Canada. (pricematched to 66.91)

And a random cheap HDD for a boot drive I guess.

TOTAL: 428.80 + hdd

Whuddya think? My only other thoughts was the Gigabyte 785g chipset mATX board. (Its the sister of the one I used above, but a bit cheaper), and then building the whole rig in a cheap HTPC box...I dunno.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 12, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

May as well pick up a 9600GSO for $40 after MIR....
Old August 12, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good to me. She's going to like that.
Old August 12, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Looks good to me. She's going to like that.
y'think I should make it sexy and go with the htpc case ? mATX?
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 12, 2009, 07:42 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Why not a Shuttle? I've built 2 of them, very impressed.
Old August 12, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

or

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Lascala LC17B Black ATX HTPC Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT W/ 2X80MM Case Fan - LC17B In Canada.

50 bucks off....
Quote:
Old August 12, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hrm. Shuttle barebones, I never even thought about it. Nice s775 processor in it....

So many options!
Quote:
Old August 12, 2009, 08:39 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I've built a couple of those shuttle systems too, and I must say theyre very good at being small and good-lookin. However, i do have one minor beef with them... their PSU always use 40mm fans that seem to run on max 24/7. It's not Loud really... but it is noticeable if you're going for a quiet/silent build. That being said, you can pick something in the SSF range for around $100 or less, get a $60 PSU and a $100 motherboard and you'll be in the same price range as the shuttle barebone (About $200-250) but have a quieter system with more flexibility in terms of upgrades.

A few other things....
-I'd say go with AMD and get their black edition X2 processor, then go for trying to unlock the Two extra cores for a cheap quadcore. Why? Because in this way you can get a decent quad-core processor (possibly, no guarantees with unlocking) for under $100. As opposed to a tri-core for an extra $50).
-The 785G board will be great for silent HTPC stuff for the time being, but if you do want to add a graphics card ill second 3.0Charlies suggestion of getting a 4670. It's a great little card that does NOT need a 6pin pcie power connector, and you can even get passive versions for a little more if you like.
-I noticed you didnt mention too much about cooling thus far. But if I may make a suggestion, go Arctic-cooling for cheap and silent. They have several coolers under $30 with PWM for fan speed control PLUS you can pick up some PWM-sharing fans to share the 4-pin fan connector from your motherboard to quiet down the whole system.

Just some food for thought Perhaps ill make a suggestion build for ya myself tomorrow (when im more awake).
Old August 12, 2009, 09:05 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Okay... so I wasn't that sleepy afterall:
CPU = Phenom II X2 - $125
NCIX.com - Buy AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 3.1GHZ 7MB Cache 80W Retail Box - HDZ550WFGIBOX In Canada.
Motherboard = Gigabyte 785G/DDR2 = $95
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AMD785G mATX AM3 PCI-E DDR2 Video Sound GBLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard - GA-MA785GM-US2H In Canada.
RAM = Kingston 2Gb KVR 800Mhz (lifetime warranty, don't need anything fancy) = $35
NCIX.com - Buy Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G 2GB 1X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL6 240PIN DIMM Memory - KVR800D2N6/2G In Canada.
Case = Inwin z589T mATX (No-name brand it Isnt. Read the reviews - Inwin cases are inexpensive, easy to work with and Solid. Not the best for looks mind you, but at the price it's a great option). PSU is included. = $65
NCIX.com - Buy Inwin Z589T mATX Mini Tower Case Black 2X5.25 2X3.5 1X3.5INT 350W Front USB & Audio - Z589T.J350BFU2AD In Canada.
CPU Cooler = Arctic-cooling freezer 64 PWM = $30 (You'll have to pull the fan shoud off the Inwin case to fit this one, but its extremely quiet and easy to install)
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PWM AM2 S754 S939 S940 900-2200RPM 40CFM 4PIN Heatsink Fan - FREEZER-64-PWM In Canada.
Case exhaust fan = Arctic-cooling 92mm PWM-sharing = $9
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Arctic F9 Pro PWM 92MM Fan 700-2000RPM 35CFM FDB - F9PROPWM92MM In Canada.

Total = $359
before taxes/shipping (I did not use any sale promos or Price matching, so you can probably shave a few bucks off of that)

Just need to add your flavor of hard drive and DVD drive and you're set. (Approx $100-120 more).

Advantages: Possible quad-core 3.0Ghz (or higher) processor with decent non-stock silent cooling (Could do a small OC). Whole system will be very quiet or dead silent (I've done similar builds and my clients aren't sure if the system is on without checking the power LED). Easy room for expansion for a video card or whatever later on, no space limitations like in a shuttle.

Disadvantages: Extra cores Might not unlock (but you could still OC the existing two cores). Case is very simple, some might call it bland. Case only has room for one hard drive.