Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

theAnimal, no need to pick a fight. You were right about some things, and rjbarker just misunderstood what you were trying to get at. But I'll have to disagree with you about the Silver certified. You need much higher quality components in a Silver certified PSU than just an 80 Plus certified one. Think about it: a PSU that doesn't suck nearly as much power from the socket to provide the required power on the other side is one heck of a better PSU than other. Less wasted power means less heat, less noise from a fan because it can spin slower. On top of that, because there's higher quality components, and for this case in point, capacitors and inductors, the voltage ripple can be compressed even more. Of course, it depends on the kind of fan --let's say parts that aren't related to power output-- will give certain brands a different lead in appeal and aesthetics than one that produces the same kind of performance. Many of the PSUs with these qualification perform very close to each other, but the consumer has to decide which PSU appeals to them most. We HWC members try and do our best to help pick, and we tend to agree on the same things, but there are some PSUs just as good as the ones we suggest.
Old August 14, 2009, 07:22 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
theAnimal, no need to pick a fight. You were right about some things, and rjbarker just misunderstood what you were trying to get at.
I'm not picking a fight. Maybe I've just seen too many PC P&C fanboys. :)

Quote:
But I'll have to disagree with you about the Silver certified. You need much higher quality components in a Silver certified PSU than just an 80 Plus certified one.
Look at the list of Silver certified PSUs. I can guarantee you there are plenty that are not as good quality as the Silencer 750.
Old August 14, 2009, 07:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnimal View Post
Anti-fanboys are nearly as bad as fanboys
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 14, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I presently have:
1. Enermax 450W in my wifes Office rig
2. PC P&C 750 W in my 2nd Office rig
3. Corsair 1kW in my performance Rig......

One thing I can tell you about that PC P&C 750W...it was running an E8400 OC'd to 4.05 Ghz w SLI GTX 280's 710/1458/1260 without so much as a hick-up...damn good single rail non-modular PSU.....and quiet!

The Enermax died after just over a year (no Warranty at that time)
The Corsair 1 kW had to be RMA'd after a couple of months (great Support however)

A Fan Boy???? You kidding me...?!

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Last edited by rjbarker; August 14, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old August 14, 2009, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
A Fan Boy???? You kidding me...?!
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were one. I've just seen too many people who blindly think that they are the best.