Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
Rookie

Default Hopefully a beast.

1. The computer is for music editing and using music producing software
2. Budget is $2500 after tax and shipping - She will be shipping to northern BC from ncix. So it's like $300 shipping lol
3. Parts will be purchased from Canada - all from ncix so they can build the system for my friend please
4. Intel - nvidia - those are the only two requirements in terms of brands.
5. No current parts. brand new build
6. I've built two computers for friends but they were gaming machines.
7. default speeds
8. Ordering as soon as possible. Like tonight if we can come up with something by then.

So basically my friend Brittany asked me to build her a new computer. She wants something fast that she can multitask with and also do music editing and use music producing software. She's a DJ and is tired of her POS computer that can barely run msn and firefox at the same time.

I'm thinking lots of hard drive space for all of her music and stuff. I7 since she wants to spend lots of money on a really good computer. She also wants a 24" monitor. She's so cute, "I want lots of ram in the hard drive too" :)

So I don't really know how it works but do I put forth my build and you fix it and make it better? Or do I just sit back and press the easy button? lol
the only other thing was she really likes the antec 1200 because it's pretty and matches some of her DJ equipment.

So I was thinking...
cpu: i7 920
ram: 6gb corsair
case: antec 1200
dvd: samsung
mobo: no idea.. doesn't need any fancy overclocking features
gpu: gtx 275?? might as well add one.. she does a little bit of gaming and she might need one even if she doesn't game with her 24" monitor?
monitor: LG? not sure on what a good brand is
psu: corsair 750?
sound card: umm not sure on these...
I'm not sure what else I'm missing...

Thanks guys
Old August 10, 2009, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that so over kill it's not funny, but if that's what you want.
it seems that you plan on doing more then music production with it ( and yes pretty nice ) check out m-audio gear very good higher end stuff
Old August 10, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say Asus Xonar Essence STX for the sound card but I don't know much about professional level sound cards. I would get a P183 and make it a rather silent build using some Gelid Silent 12 fans, you don't want to hear stuff over your music. For mobo I'd say the gigabyte UD3. For GFX i'd get the 275 or maybe just a 260, what sorts of games does she play?
Old August 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I also find this is an overkill system, but based on your suggestions.

CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: G.Skill DDR3-1333 3x2gb
Case: Antec 1200
DVD: LG GH22LS40 I guess as a DJ Lightscribe might come in handy.
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R The i7 compatible mobos are really pricy.
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD4890 Vapor-X It is pricy, but its quiet. It is also quite overkill.
Monitor: Samsung 245T Its a PVA, she could also get a cheaper Samsung T240
PSU: Antec CP-850 Once more it is overkill, but its modular and a great deal for the price. It only fits in a few cases, the Antec 1200 is one of them. Also, its pretty quiet.
Sound Card: I am not knowledgeable about these.

You could get something cheaper by changing those components:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: G.Skill DDR3-1333 2x2gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
Old August 10, 2009, 01:44 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD4890 Vapor-X It is pricy, but its quiet. It is also quite overkill.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
They said they wanted Intel and Nvidia. Unless she's gaming the GTX 275 is overkill. I'd go with a GTX 260

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30
Old August 10, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent1mezzo View Post
They said they wanted Intel and Nvidia. Unless she's gaming the GTX 275 is overkill. I'd go with a GTX 260
Oops, I read it but forgot about it along the way. If she plays game on a 24in screen I'd suggest getting a GTX 275 then even if its possibly overkill.
Old August 10, 2009, 01:47 PM
MVP

Shipping shouldnt be that bad. I'm in Northern BC and I dont think I've spent more than $20 shipping. Often its free if you choose the right sale.
Your missing a hard drive - These 1GB hitachis are on sale right now
NCIX.com - Buy Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB 1000GB 7200RPM SATA2 16MB Terabyte Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Wrty* - 0A38016 In Canada.
Old August 10, 2009, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't go I7 at all. She's not an enthusiast.

Give her a quad core 775 and a ton of ram and she'll be just as happy... and save money.

I believe the WD 1TB Black also has free shipping (up to 150lbs)
Old August 11, 2009, 05:19 AM
Allstar

I dissagree, if she has the money then by all means go i7. Not sure exactly what music software she is going to be using but they definitely take advantage of all the ram and CPU you can throw at it. Hell, she'll probably put more use to her i7 than some of the people here haha.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old August 11, 2009, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^no she won't music production software is a joke compared to what the computer hardware can do. ( she would be better off buying some really good mics)
Few people i know just setup there pro studio ( musician's that pay there bills with there music ) connections and software so much more important
M-AUDIO - Microphones
M-AUDIO - Audio | MIDI Interfaces
all my friends are musician's ( i just realized that weird ) i don't play anything
If they have money to burn then by all means but all the music jacks and mics and boards that they may want to use that's what is costly