Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2009, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lightbulb What to do ??

hey guys im in a pickle here... Im going to College in like 20 days and sold off parts from my old 775 system to a friend who was using a Pentium 4 with 512 ram.. Now i am on a HP Mini 110 30CA Netbook that i picked up for college to bring around to classes for quick notes and research and whatnot... But im more of a desktop person and will be using my desktop for alot of work and gaming too for free time since i dont use any console. My course is Architectural Technology @ Humber so im guessing there will be lots of computer work with AutoCAD maybe some 3D stuff too with 3D max etc...

I dont know what I should do now though I am looking for a build that will last me a while, im on a budget but willing to spend lots on a rig as i am selling my bike, guitar and amp..

I currently own a 24" Monitor
EVGA GTX 285 1GB
Razer Destructor + Lachesis

SO

should i go i7 920 ... or wait for i5 and get a high end i5 ?

wait for newer i7 ? wait for i9 ?

and if i went i7 and x58 theres talk on new x58 platforms coming out ?

they sure like to make things difficult on us eh ? haha
Old August 7, 2009, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As a college student, I don't think you'll be able to afford the newer i7 or i9 whatevers. i7 920 is more than enough for gaming and will be for quite some time. There's always new motherboards coming out so you needn't worry about when to buy. The ones offered now are great. Oh and 6GB is plenty.
Old August 7, 2009, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

should i wait for the i5 though, as it will be more affordable than the i7... also when i5 and new i7s come in the new few weeks ? wont the current i7 drop by a lot ?
Old August 7, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Get Core i7 now if you can afford it. However, be prepared to spend over $1000 on Core i7. If you're going to keep it under $1000, I suggest going Phenom II.
Old August 7, 2009, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunF88 View Post
should i wait for the i5 though, as it will be more affordable than the i7... also when i5 and new i7s come in the new few weeks ? wont the current i7 drop by a lot ?
i7 dropping in price? Don't think so - remember i7 is supposed to be higher end than i5. High end i5 might come close in price to low end i7 but again I doubt i7 esp. the 920 will drop by much. If Intel were to discontinue the i7 920 and move the 950 to take the 920's spot then there might well be a drop in price in the 950 but it seems the 920 will be going strong well into next year. And a big chunk of going i7 is the price of x58 mobos and those I doubt will come down much and there's quite a few budget x58 mobos now if you can call $200 budget. That's just my speculation anyway.