Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2009, 09:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default I need three informations/opinions for my new lil matx gaming rig

I'm about to sell my old rig and build a smaller, lighter and equally faster or nearly as fast one and I would like to know three things:

1- What would be the single card that could be equal or beat a pair of 3870 in crossfire? 4890? Something new coming out that I should wait for?

2- What cpu in am3 or am2(+) that would run this card with no bottleneck if I happen to sell my P2 940? x4 810 (slightly OC to be >3GHz?)

For now what I have is in my signature and the only reason I'm selling is that I barely play anymore and (un)fortunately I don't really enjoy hardware as much as I did before.
I'm not really in OCing "for fun" anymore, I still will OC a chip if I need to or can, and frankly all the WC is -nice-, but is overkill more than anything. Though I got to admit that I still enjoy seeing those things 'to the extreme' :P
And since college is coming up again I think I will play even less with all the study.
And if I ever 'have' to play, it will be either at a lan party at the college or somewhere... and unplugging and bringing my 50 pounds LL tower around with all the stuff inside makes me a paranoid frenchie and I sometime even refuse to go to lan parties just because of that =/ (and gawd I love those events)

3- The third thing I thought about is simply to avoid the wait of all selling should I simply keep most of my part and get a matx case, matx board and new 'single' card to go with that? (I would still sell all the WC stuff)

If you have any suggestion or any comments throw them in I need some opinions before regretting that move

Thanks!

edit: (though I will stick with amd for sure!)
Old July 30, 2009, 09:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

X3 720BE would be fine I think.

And a HD4770/HD4850 would come rather close to Crossfire HD3870s. Though a HD4870/90 would top it.

If you get one of the DFI mATX boards, I think they still have Crossfire support. Though it would be a tight fit, but it's feasible to keep it if you wanted.
Old July 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
X3 720BE would be fine I think.

And a HD4770/HD4850 would come rather close to Crossfire HD3870s. Though a HD4870/90 would top it.

If you get one of the DFI mATX boards, I think they still have Crossfire support. Though it would be a tight fit, but it's feasible to keep it if you wanted.
+1, you can even get the Phenom 710 or 550 if you want to spend less. For the motherboard, get a 780G/785G mATX board.
Old July 30, 2009, 10:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks for the answers

Another thing...

Would the 4890 consume more power than my two 3870?

It's really been a while since I followed hardware news and I think the last review I saw was maybe a 4870
Old July 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm not sure about the power consumption, but a single 4890 would absolutely dominate your 3870's. I think you'd be more than happy with an HD 4870
Old July 31, 2009, 12:04 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Would the 4890 consume more power than my two 3870?
No, less.
Old July 31, 2009, 12:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well thanks everyone for your answers.

It's very appreciated
Old July 31, 2009, 06:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

J'achète ton stock de watercooling pour mettre sur mon nouveau bébé d'AMD
Old July 31, 2009, 11:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Pourquoi tu voudrais a allais (irais?) Xfire?

on a serious note, 4870 would probably be bang on, and use less energy.
As with the others the 710 or the 550 would work well.