Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2009, 06:39 PM
Trial Member

Default antec sonata case + cpu cooler

Hi Guys, I'm looking at getting the antec sonata ( which is a mid tower) and I want to make in uber quiet, so I was hoping on using the zalman 9900( which apparently is uber quiet, but a bit big)

Does anybody know if all of this will fit or am I setting myself up for a sreaming match!!!

thanx
rick
Old July 21, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say forget the Sonata and grab an Antec Solo, if your too lazy to do some hard drive suspension by yourself, the included suspension kit will help quieting your computer a lot since I find the hard drive to be the loudest component usually.

Anyways, back on topic, I say get a heatsink that can have normal 120mm fans mounted on it so you can choose an appropriately quiet fan whereas the 9900's fan isn't exactly user replaceable. As for recommendations on heatsinks, it would depend on what kind of setup your computer is in, if you hope to run the cpu passive or with a very low speed fan, the Ninja 2 is still the way to go due to its tight spacing of fins. However, if you can live with a higher speed fan and a bit more noise, a Mugen 2 or a Zig HDT S1283 might be better. Choosing a good fan with these heatsinks is also important and for the most part, undervolting the fans to 5V should yield decent temps in a case with decent airflow