Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 02:16 PM
jcmaz's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,453

My System Specs

Default Build or Wait???

Hi,

My brother's birthday is coming up and i want to upgrade his 1.73 GHz Core 2 Duo laptop to an AMD system. The problem is should i wait til the middle/end of August for the new AMD parts or take advantage of the prices right now and build a new comp. Our budget is about $300-$400 including videocard

what we've come up w/ so far:
Have: 8500GT (but i want to sell it)

OCZ Vista Upgrade PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Some Samsung DVD drive

a Gigabyte mobo for sure coz i don't like Asus' website and their updates
- i was looking at their 780G mobo or the 770 ones

processor
- AMD for sure but i'm not sure which one. ~$110 budget

case: i'll buy that from HWC :)

HD: preferably WD
__________________
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

-Plato
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 03:30 PM
bkh2's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 265

My System Specs

Default

Parts that have just come out are usually overpriced, so I'm not sure if waiting for the new stuff (with intent to buy it) is a good idea, especially if you're on a budget. But if you wait, the setup you are planning to build right now will probably be even cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 03:53 PM
jcmaz's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,453

My System Specs

Default

wats the info on the next gen mobos???
__________________
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

-Plato
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 03:56 PM
Silvgearx's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,106

My System Specs

Default

AMD eh.

for HTPC board a 785G is coming and it shown at the US newegg site. should be here any moment now. someone saw it been sold for $95 USD

If your going 790 chipsest get it now :P the next gen amd chipset won't be here till 2010 Q1 or Q2 or it might be even later :(
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 09:14 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,891

My System Specs

Default

AMD Athlon II X2 250
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800Dual Channel Kit
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
SAPPHIRE 100253DDR3L Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 (GDDR3 HD4650, so I'd assume it performs a fair bit better than the typical GDDR2 ones)
Total: $337.96 + case, DVD-RW

And what about a PSU? That might be pushing your budget if you need one.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 22, 2009, 07:54 AM
jcmaz's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,453

My System Specs

Default

thanks jdrom

but i only need 2 gigs of ram i think i'll give my 9600GT to my brother. I might just get one of those Seasonic 400W or Corsair 400W PSUs.
__________________
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

-Plato
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 22, 2009, 09:12 AM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,891

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
thanks jdrom

but i only need 2 gigs of ram i think i'll give my 9600GT to my brother. I might just get one of those Seasonic 400W or Corsair 400W PSUs.
Well since DDR2 is rather cheap, and it doesn't cost significantly more, I don't see a reason not to get 4GB. Choice is yours though.

Another PSU option would be the OCZ StealthXStream 500W. They're fairly cheap, and even more so after the $30 MIR.

And you know, his PC will be better than yours
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy now or wait? Hermesˇ˘ New Builds 9 December 22, 2008 10:26 PM
Upgrade now or wait for Nehalem? Infiniti Off Topic 9 October 16, 2008 09:30 PM
Can't wait till I can do this.. Wheee!!! Bognostraglum Off Topic 1 August 11, 2008 12:46 PM
finally but WaiT HELP Rapid-X Troubleshooting 2 August 9, 2008 06:41 PM
New Mobo ordered!!!! Can't wait!!!! :) sswilson CPU's and Motherboards 68 June 1, 2007 10:06 PM