Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   New to water cooling; need help (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/20787-new-water-cooling-need-help.html)

bkh2 July 20, 2009 08:01 PM

New to water cooling; need help

I'm planning to upgrade to W/C soon. I've got the pump and water block picked out, but for the reservoir, I can't seem to find one with 1/2" fittings.

The pump I've picked is: Danger Den DDCPX-PRO
NCIX.com - Buy Danger Den DDCPX-PRO 12V Water Cooling Pump with Mounting Hardware 1/2IN Chrome Barb Fittings - DD-CPX-PRO In Canada.

The water block: Swiftech APOGEE GT
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech APOGEE GT LGA775/S754/AM2/AM3/LGA1366 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barbs - APOGEE-GT In Canada.

Both the pump and water block support 1/2" tubing, but so far, no reservoir I've seen has 1/2" fittings. I was looking at the: XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top

Are there similar 1/2" reservoirs or would I need 1/4" to 1/2" adapters?
NCIX.com - Buy XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top for DDC or MCP350 or MCP355 Water Cooling Pump G1/4 - XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir In Canada..

Note: I do most of my shopping at NCIX because they are local (no shipping or waiting :thumb:)

JD July 20, 2009 08:47 PM

That XSPC one you linked only works on the DDC pumps (Swiftech MCP-350 and MCP-355).

All reservoirs have G1/4" threaded holes to install the fittings of your choice in. Look at the Switfech Micro-Res (MC-RES). It'll suit you fine.

Also I'd really suggest a different CPU block since that is lower performing than others out there. I'd say the Swiftech Apogee GTZ or EK Supreme LT.

SugarJ July 20, 2009 09:01 PM

Edit: :ph34r:. Ninja'd.

That DDC Res top won't fit on the CPX-Pro.

I highly suggest a GTZ instead of a GT, try emailing Linus to see when they are getting more, or there is a GTZ in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for sale.

Reservoirs - NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fittings - MCRES-Micro Rev2 In Canada.
or NCIX.com - Buy Ek Water Blocks Ek Multioption Res 100 REV.2 Water Cooling Tube Reservoir G1/4 - 3830046994165 In Canada. Both will take regular 1/2" barbs.

bkh2 July 20, 2009 09:02 PM

Swiftech MCP350 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 3/8IN Barbs
XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top for DDC or MCP350 or MCP355 Water Cooling Pump G1/4
Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CI7 LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Barb Fittings

Thanks for the recommendation on the water block. Should these 3 be an optimal choice for my first water cooling setup? Will they all be compatible?

Again, thanks for your input, guys. =]

MpG July 20, 2009 09:15 PM

Those components will work nicely. If your budget is a little strained, the CPX-Pro pump and a separate reservoir might save you a few bucks, but either option should work fine.

Quite a few reservoirs don't come with fittings at all, actually. Ditto for radiators. So you may have to add a few of the correct size onto the order as well. Order twice as much tubing as you think you'll need - you always wind up needing it.

bkh2 July 20, 2009 09:56 PM

Thanks for the input, MpG.

Does it matter what type of tubing I get? Often, if not always, tubing on computer sites costs much more than, say, a hardware store. I've got 1/2" vinyl tubing laying around, and it seems pretty robust. Is the tubing sold on computer sites any different, or are they just a marketing ploy?

MpG July 20, 2009 10:15 PM

No, it's not just a marketing ploy. The watercooling tubing is much more flexible, and can bend tighter without kinking. Some tubing, the Primochill LRT for example, is also anti-microbial, so you need to get any additives to prevent algae build-up in your system. Little things like that account for the higher cost, and they can go a long ways towards making installation easier. But you won't see any actual performance benefit between the different kinds.

In my own experience, the hardware stuff is rarely circular - it's usually a little flattened, since it's been sitting wrapped on a roll so long. And a lot of it kinks if you so much as look at it funny. But in a pinch, you can certainly use it.

JD July 21, 2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkh2 (Post 227044)
Swiftech MCP350 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 3/8IN Barbs
XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top for DDC or MCP350 or MCP355 Water Cooling Pump G1/4
Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CI7 LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Barb Fittings

Thanks for the recommendation on the water block. Should these 3 be an optimal choice for my first water cooling setup? Will they all be compatible?

Again, thanks for your input, guys. =]

Looks good. If you have plans to add more blocks later, look at getting the MCP355 since it's a bit more powerful of a pump.

And if NCIX can't get the GTZ in, you could order from Dazmode as well. Prices look about the same and it's still in Canada.

+1 for Primochill ProLRT. Great tubing and it's only like $20 for 10ft, which is plenty for a CPU loop IMO. Just measure twice, cut once.

bkh2 July 21, 2009 12:22 PM

Excellent info. Thanks, MpG.

@jdrom17 - rather than buying a heavier duty pump, would it be possible to add a second pump in series? That is, if I decide to get more water blocks.

I've been doing some research on that, and some people say it's okay to have two different pumps in series, while others say it will kill one of them.

I understand more pumps means more wattage, more moving parts, which means more chances of failure, and it will cost more, but do the benefits (less load on each pump, higher head) outweigh these drawbacks? In addition, a second pump can also act as a back-up in case one fails.

JD July 21, 2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkh2 (Post 227386)
@jdrom17 - rather than buying a heavier duty pump, would it be possible to add a second pump in series? That is, if I decide to get more water blocks

Typically people who have 2 pumps, run them totally separately of eachother and have 2 confined loops. I don't believe many run series, though I could be mistaken.

And well the MCP355 is close to $10 less, so really I don't see why you wouldn't just get it from the start. I have one with an XSPC top (non-res), and it's pretty close to silent once all the air is out of your loop. I too only have a CPU loop but there's no harm really in having more flow rate.

Since I see you have an i7, I'd really suggest the Heatkiller blocks if you could afford those. They are the best performing (and best looking IMO) blocks for i7 it seems.

Also what radiator were you considering?