Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2009, 09:15 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure on that yet. Would it be possible to use a car radiator? XD

I plan on putting the radiator on the outside of the case, so size isn't really an issue, nor is mounting.

Also, I don't think NCIX carries those Heatkiller blocks. I prefer not to order in from the internet, so maybe I could check out another local computer store for that block. Is the performance between a Heatkiller block and the GTZ really significant?

And one other question. When installing a water cooling system, does the reservoir have to be higher than the rest of the loop? What happens if you turn off your computer and the reservoir is below the loop? Will all the liquid flow downwards and overflow it?
Old July 22, 2009, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A car radiator would work but you'd have to get a copper one which I think is fairly hard to find. Most are aluminum I believe and mixing metals is bad.

The reason reservoirs are typically placed at the top of the loop is so that air is able to bleed out faster. As long as the reservoir is above the pump, that's all that really matters since pumps don't really suck that hard, so you need gravity to help pull the water into the pump.

A heads up:
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CI7 LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Barb Fittings - APOGEE GTZ CI7 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs - MCP655 In Canada.
Both on-sale this week.
Old July 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Haha yeah, thanks for the heads up. I saw this earlier today and I'm planning on ordering them from my local NCIX, since there is none on hand at the store I go to.

With regards to that pump that's on sale, will I need a different reservoir? I'm thinking of this one now: NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fittings - MCRES-Micro Rev2 In Canada.

Way cheaper too... -.-'

For tubing, I may go with: NCIX.com - Buy Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Red 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10 Feet) - PFLEXP10-34-R In Canada.

What's with those coil thingys? lol.. Do I need to buy them seperately, or are they even required?

EDIT: Also, to clarify my question about the reservoir being higher than the rest of the loop, I'm concered that if the pump gets shut off, won't the liquid flow back downwards, and if all that liquid flows into the reservoir, won't it overflow?
Old July 22, 2009, 08:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That res will work fine, and I can recommend the Primochill tubing, that's what I'm using right now. More orange than red under UV light, so be forewarned.

And unless you've got really tight bends, you won't need the anti-kink coils. They are more for looks, IMHO.

As for the res, the top is sealed, and liquid does not flow backwards through the pump usually. I wish it did, it'd be easier to drain my system.
Old July 22, 2009, 09:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've never tried to run a "2 pumps in series" loop and have also seen the conflicting comments.

My own thinking is that the two pumps would have to be exactly matched as per flow otherwise one would be trying to empty out part of the loop, and the other wouldn't be able to keep up. Without having tried it myself, I'm open to comments from folks with personal experience with double pump loops, but until I have some pretty strong indication that my thinking is wrong I'm sticking with it and suggesting that a dual pump loop is probably a bad idea.

Welcome to "the wet side" BTW.... once you get started, it's pretty damn hard to stop. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 22, 2009, 09:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

@ SugarJ - thanks for the insight. I'd definitely prefer my reservoir to be near the bottom so if it does leak, it doesn't kill my hard drives lol

@ sswilson - thanks for your input. and yeah, I'm getting carried away on these forums. I'm on here every lunch break now lol. Everyone here knows so much! It's nuts lol
Old July 22, 2009, 09:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just make sure the reservoir sits above the pump. That's all I can stress, otherwise chances are your pump will run dry and you risk burning it out.

Back to the radiator issue, Swiftech has some very affordable ones, namely the MCR220 and MCR320. Both would suit you fine, the MCR320 would give you more headroom though in case you add a GPU block down the road.
Old July 22, 2009, 10:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Here's a pic of my case:

I'm planning to put the pump at the bottom, where those blue tray things are (I've taken them out already). I took out the floppy drive cage thingy, but I could also put the radiator in the 5.25" bay drive area, since I only have 1 optical drive at the very top.

BTW, my case is pretty old; Thermaltake Xaser III. Since copper car radiators are not easy to find, I guess I'll have to invest in a radiator off NCIX or something. It would be nice if the radiator could go inside the case, but if not, I wouldn't mind having it just sit ontop of my case.

As far as cable management goes... It's an old case and doesn't have motherboard tray holes so it could be quite difficult. I might drill some, but that's highly unlikely and I'm not ready to invest in a new case.
Old July 22, 2009, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well Primochill Tubing really is good, but if you are going to order from Dazmode, then he carried Feser tubing, which isn't bad either.. I found Primochill to work better on bend radius, but found tbe Feser to have better UV effect. I personally would recommend Primochill tubing.

In your setup, I would suggest you try and mount the rad outside, 2 reasons, one because your case already looks a little small for a dual rad to fit inside, second because radiators mounted outside usually get fresh air first, so they tend to be a degree or two cooler. Only issue I see is you have 80mm fans, most radiatos support 120mm fans, unless you don't mind the extra work and cutting your case from the top or bottom and mounting it there.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
In your setup, I would suggest you try and mount the rad outside, 2 reasons, one because your case already looks a little small for a dual rad to fit inside, second because radiators mounted outside usually get fresh air first, so they tend to be a degree or two cooler. Only issue I see is you have 80mm fans, most radiatos support 120mm fans, unless you don't mind the extra work and cutting your case from the top or bottom and mounting it there.
I'm fairly sure Swiftech's Radbox supports attaching to 80mm fans. So it shouldn't be of much issue.