Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2009, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Default First build, will need to rely on online ordering.

Wellp. I need a new computer and I live in Sudbury. This is a terrifying combination of things. The only places around with prebuilt computers are Staples and Futureshop, the only parts stores around have a pretty small inventory and would probably have to order a lot of parts. So why not just order it online myself and cut out the middleman? Canadian retailers only of course...getting things shipped from the states sometimes seems to come with random insane fees.

I want to use this PC mostly for gaming. I'm the sort of person that likes to multitask even when gaming...if a game doesn't have a windowed option I go kinda crazy since I might be chatting on a few different programs, have a billion firefox tabs open, maybe have the GECK open if I'm playing with and testing Fallout 3 mods, etc etc. So obviously I'm hoping for something with a rather beefy processor (Aiming for quad core so in 2 years I'm not muttering about how my dual core isn't cutting it) a fairly good graphics card...which I honestly admit I have NO idea how to choose. No need for keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers (I used headphones anyway), etc.

The sale they're having on Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops sort of spurred me to really get my butt in gear and figure all this out.

I'm hoping to hit a price between 800 and 900 dollars, but that might be wishful thinking.

I've installed a lot of random components, but never put together a PC from scratch so I'm definently green. I'm wary about overclocking mostly from ignorance and from having personally endured some cooling problems before (you don't want to know my redneck cooling solution.) but if I can be sure of what I'm doing I'd be willing to give it a go.

My biggest issue is a way of finding out what components work together. I've found lots of guides for "Use these parts together, etc etc" but they're always a year or so old, have parts I can't find online at Canadian retailers, etc etc. So I'd really like to know if there's a good resource for knowing say...what sort of motherboard I'd need for my processor, what sort of things will fit in the case I buy...

I'm very happy with XP right now and have no idea if there's any real reason to move up to anything higher...but I'm willing to hear opinions on why to go to Vista or Windows 7.

Any help you fine folk can give me would be very appreciated.
Old July 15, 2009, 06:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Building a computer is actually quite simple. There are tons and tons of guides all over the internet or you can just read through the motherboard and case manuals and they pretty much tell you everything you'll need to know to get the computer to turn on. From there the tweaking takes more research and experience.

That's a pretty good deal on the Phenom II 945 but if you want to fit the whole build into a 800-900 budget it might be a bit pricey still (depending on graphics card mostly). Look around at different sites (or just use pricecanada.ca) and find the cheapest prices on things then find an etailer that will price match (ncix.com for example).

As for picking a motherboard you just need one that matches the socket of the processor (in this case AM3) and supports the graphics card you want (either Nvidia or ATI) as well as the RAM you buy (DDR3 or DDR2 and make sure it supports the speed).

As far as components fitting in your case, if it's questionable you will most likely find that someone else has come across the same problem and there is an answer either in the comments of the retailer's site or on a random forum. Heatsinks are the most common problem when it comes to fitting but you don't overclock and use the stock HSF you'll be fine.

As for OS I would highly recommend putting Windows 7 on the new machine. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Most importantly it's free until May of next year (and only $50 to upgrade from XP -- if that offer is still available).

I'd suggest reading through some similar threads on this board and picking some parts you like and then get some input from people on here.
Old July 15, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you decided on an AMD platform, or are you open to anything within your budget?

Overclocking can be VERY simple at a basic level and is free money - a decent cooler will give you years of trouble free operation with a modest overclock provided you have decent components.

A popular cheap combo that overclocks well is the ASUS p5q pro motherboard and an intel e8400- you can expect to easily run 3.4GHZ with decent cooling with that. It takes DDR2 ram which is cheaper than the newer DDR3.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evylldemon View Post
I'd suggest reading through some similar threads on this board and picking some parts you like and then get some input from people on here.
Yar. I'll be scouring for all the information I can when I get the chance tomorrow. Just found this place today and was amazed by how it was exactly what I needed exactly when I needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Have you decided on an AMD platform, or are you open to anything within your budget?

Overclocking can be VERY simple at a basic level and is free money - a decent cooler will give you years of trouble free operation with a modest overclock provided you have decent components.

A popular cheap combo that overclocks well is the ASUS p5q pro motherboard and an intel e8400- you can expect to easily run 3.4GHZ with decent cooling with that. It takes DDR2 ram which is cheaper than the newer DDR3.
I'm open to anything at all, I just linked that one because it was what made me start thinking about getting this done sooner rather than later.

And thanks, I'll definently give that a looksee.
Old July 16, 2009, 05:57 PM
Rookie

Hohhkay. This is what I got so far...I'm alllmost sure things will play nice together, but I need some recommendations on where to cut costs. I tried to pick out mostly mid-range things, but I'm rather happy with the graphics card I picked out, so...aside from that is there anywhere I can have a slight downgrade but a decent drop in cost?

Case: Newegg.ca - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

CPU & Motherboard: Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I was told these two would play well together, but I'm sure there's a cheaper alternative for the motherboard out there. This is the single piece of hardwear where my absolute ineptitude will shine through.

Memory: Newegg.ca - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Power Supply: Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Again, power supply is one of those things I don't know too well.

Harddrive: Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Network Card: Newegg.ca - Rosewill RC-402 10/100Mbps PCI LAN Card 1 x RJ-45 - Also Supports WINDOWS VISTA READY - Network Interface Cards

Video Card: Newegg.ca - POWERCOLOR AX4850 1GBD3-PH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

CD/DVD: Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

It all comes out to about 1k with tax and shipping..and that's without an OS. It's more than I want to spend, but not outrageously so.

So I beg unto you, computer gods...help save my wallet and I from my newb choosing ignorance!

Edit: Or I could just say "sod it" and get this and a decent graphics card. Future Shop: Computers: Desktop Computers: HP Pavilion AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9550 2.2GHz Computer (M9517C) - English - Refurbished - Web Only

Last edited by fafar; July 16, 2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:09 PM
MVP
F@H

Just a word of advice, but if you were open to other e-tailers NCIX would be a great bet. + you can price match all of newegg's prices over there, and you'll likely get free shipping over @ ncix.
tax free! (assuming u live outside bc)
Old July 16, 2009, 06:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouchou View Post
Just a word of advice, but if you were open to other e-tailers NCIX would be a great bet. + you can price match all of newegg's prices over there, and you'll likely get free shipping over @ ncix.
tax free! (assuming u live outside bc)

Thanks. Definently open to others. Was just easier to get a list off of one site is all.