Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2009, 08:25 AM
Rookie

Default New Computer Build - Core i7

Hello people I will soon be upgrading my computer to the new intel core i7 build. I have a few questions, any of which i would appreciate answers to.

I will start by describing my current system:
  • Gigabye NF-CK804 MotherBoard
  • AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (64bit and single core) @ 1.8 GHz
  • ATI Radeon x300 GPU
  • 1.5GB memory on two DDR-SDRAM (DDR-400) sticks, each @ 200MHz
  • Two ATAPI optical media drives
  • Two ATA hard disks
I wish to upgrade all of these components in due time, but if it is possible i wish to upgrade in steps (ie. upgrade processor and mobo one month, upgrade RAM and graphics a few months later, etc.) but i fear compatibility issues with this methodology. For instance, will my DDR-SDRAM work with my new mobo and will the radeon x300 work with the core i7, and those types of questions.

I have done a bit of digging to find that the core i7 920 Nehalem (is that the same as the D0 stepping?) is the best bet as, when overclocked it can equal and sometimes better the extreme core i7 models. (edit) I also wish to overclock and water-cool my system.

I will tell you now that i am going to use my rig for medium-high gaming, occasional multimedia tasks, would like HD output and general multi-core performance.

I have now a choice between 3 motherboards:
  • Asus P6T Motherboard (heard some good reviews)
  • Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5P
  • Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3/4
I may want to CrossFire or SLI, but I shall stick with one GPU for the initial build. So, given that information, can someone make a reccomendation on the motherboard?

If you have any advice, tips or ideas, or even reccomendations of products, they would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks very much in advance,
mintsmike
Old July 14, 2009, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsmike View Post

I will start by describing my current system:
  • Gigabye NF-CK804 MotherBoard
  • AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (64bit and single core) @ 1.8 GHz
  • ATI Radeon x300 GPU
  • 1.5GB memory on two DDR-SDRAM (DDR-400) sticks, each @ 200MHz
  • Two ATAPI optical media drives
  • Two ATA hard disks
I wish to upgrade all of these components in due time, but if it is possible i wish to upgrade in steps (ie. upgrade processor and mobo one month, upgrade RAM and graphics a few months later, etc.) but i fear compatibility issues with this methodology. For instance, will my DDR-SDRAM work with my new mobo and will the radeon x300 work with the core i7,
I see a few issues here, to use an i7 processor you will have to go to DDR3 ram so your old ram is not usable for that purpose. Also most new motherboards do not have much in the way of IDE sockets so you may have to buy SATA-HDD/DVD drives. Also, is your X300 AGP or PCIE? AGP will not be usableon a new platform either.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It will be pretty much impossible for you to upgrade in steps using your current stuff. Best bet for you is to save up and get everything at once.
Old July 14, 2009, 09:56 AM
Rookie

OK thanks for your advice. I didnt reckon i could upgrade in steps but that is life i suppose :) BTW. My graphics card is PCI-E x16

Now, which motherboard do you think that i should go for. I would also like to know good memory and some highend graphics cards,

Again, thanks in advance,
mintsmike
Old July 14, 2009, 10:43 AM
Banned

If I were you Id grab

Phenom II x3 720
Msi 790gx GD-65
4gb DDR2 (ocz, g.skill IMHO I think those 2 are the best)
Radeon HD 4770 Video Card
640GB Caviar Black Wester Digital HDD
Any SATA DVD Multi-Burner
Corsair HX 520W PSU
CM 690 Case

and call her a day. If you price match with NCIX it should be around 600 bucks for a very viable system
Old July 14, 2009, 10:46 AM
Rookie

Sorry, i didnt make myself clear. I am going with the Intel core i7 920; noone can change my mind on that subject. Plus, i heard somewhere that phenom x3s are just x4s with a locked (or faulty) core.

Regards,
mintsmike
Old July 14, 2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsmike View Post
Sorry, i didnt make myself clear. I am going with the Intel core i7 920; noone can change my mind on that subject. Plus, i heard somewhere that phenom x3s are just x4s with a locked (or faulty) core.

Regards,
mintsmike
Well, sorry to say if your surving on what you have now an i7 is major overkill for basically everything. I highly doubt you would use it to its potential at all. Unless your folding 24/7. Editing 2560x1600 Images in photoshop. Or editing 1080p HD Video. Constantly you do not need an i7. It is true that some x3 phenoms are are x4 with a faulty core, (which is why they can be sold for so cheap!) But most of them are not. Most of them when the market calls for more x3 processors are just an x4 with a core disabled. And you can unlock the 4th core! Which means you just bought a 2.8ghtz quad core for 150 dollars! Just my 2 sense. but spend your money how you like.