Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2009, 02:27 AM
Rookie

Default Retailers In Alberta

Hi, i was wondering is there any Local or Online Retailers based in Alberta? my parents won't let me build a computer myself, they say its too much hastle if anything goes wrong with the parts and would prefer me buying a "pre-built" computer or going to a computer store somewhere in Red Deer or Edmonton Or Calgary to buy the parts needed for my computer. I went earlier to Best Buy to see what computers they had, but most of them were pretty bad..the most expensive one they had for gaming had pretty horrible specs :(

So If someone could please give me a link to a retailer within Red Deer/Edmonton or Calgary whether it be a Local retailer or Online BUT it must be within the 3 cities listed above...

THanks
Old July 14, 2009, 03:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps if you calmly explained to your parents that just as much can happen to a prebuilt system as a home built system. The advantage with a home built system is that you can remove the faulty component and return it instead of returning the entire computer for servicing. Also, a prebuilt system usually comes with a 1yr warranty and are harder to upgrade as it ages. With a home built system, warranties are much better. It's common to see 5yr warranties on psu's, lifetime warranties on video cards, etc. Also, HWC tech support is the best in Canada and is available 24-7 for 365 days a year!
As for the cities you mentioned, I'll leave that for those who live in the area.

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for your home built system!

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 14, 2009, 03:18 AM
Rookie

i begged like hell to allow them to let me build my own system.. they said NO.. they said they'd be willing to pay anything as long as its pre-built OR if we went to a local hardware store and bought the parts there and had them assemble it for us
Old July 14, 2009, 03:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, at least you have the option of picking your parts. There are many computer stores that will build it for you. Usually for around $50-$75. Do you have an idea of what parts you want? If your parents are willing to pay anything, looks like you lucked out.
I'm sure somebody will respond here today with a location that sells parts and will build it for you.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 14, 2009, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Memory Express Computer Products Inc. - Canada's Source for Computers, Laptops, Monitors & more...
Memory Express is located in Edmonton and Calgary and they will usually price match. I use them lots, as well as NCIX.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
i begged like hell to allow them to let me build my own system.. they said NO.. they said they'd be willing to pay anything as long as its pre-built OR if we went to a local hardware store and bought the parts there and had them assemble it for us
Then why not show them the ncix website.

Sure it has to be sent to you buy they do pre-builts of actual quality and less headaches and you get a 1 year warranty on all parts by this as well.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Red Deer or Edmonton Or Calgary-BUT it must be within the 3 cities listed above...
That's why I listed MemX
Old July 14, 2009, 08:51 AM
Allstar

Memory Express is a good solution, and even if you can't get price matches they're usually within $10 of NCIX prices. If you can't find the item or they're out of stock at Memory Express, another store to try is BCOM Computers (BCOM*Computer*Centre). These guys were my first computer store as they were Edmonton first and closer locations, however I've favored Memory Express in recent years (better prices overall / location closer). They use to have more Edmonton stores and a Calgary location but that seems to have changed. Anyways, they still aren't bad for pricing but definitely go for Memory Express first. There are a bunch of smaller shops but don't expect any warranty from them as these shops can disappear from their hole in the wall with little notice.

Be sure to tell your parents that with most prebuilt systems from these shops, you're paying about 50%-75% (depending on where you go) of the cost to parts, the rest for assembly.
Old July 14, 2009, 10:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with what all the other posters have said in this thread, try with one of the couple of sites that were listed. Also, introduce them to hardware canucks and let them see how much it is a wealth of information for researching/building/troubleshooting a pc.
Old July 14, 2009, 01:20 PM
Rookie

@mo'power - Yes i do know what parts im gonna get...as for Memory Express Ty for the suggestion, im gonna order my parts and driver 1.30hrs to Calgary to have them build the computer there and to make sure everything is working, i.e Make them load the recent drivers, set bios, check is everything is 100% operational.. since this is my first build, id rather have them load all the neccessary stuff.And for Memory Express, to be able to use the price match option do i have to register?the reason my parents won't let me order off ncix.com is that they say its too much hastle if a part doesnt work or stops working in a a couple of week and have to send it back to ncix or the manufacturer witch is a pain in the butt..