Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2009, 05:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Looking to build low budget Security Camera System, any help?

So my parents have a cabin that they go to almost every weekend in the summer time. Sometimes they skip a couple of weekends, but they're there a lot. My dad has a good bit of stuff up there, lumber, pipe, etc. for the renos and work he is constantly doing up there. Problem is everynow and then stuff goes missing as there are a lot of other cabins in the area so he wants to try to get some proof of who is doing it.

He has an old desktop he is willing to use for it, and also willing to spend $500 (might need to build new comp as old one doesn't have sata and only a 40GB hdd but I can figure that stuff out).
What I really don't know about is what kind of capture card/cameras/software to use, or mainly where to get said things.

there is no net access so it just has to be stored to the HDD.
the cameras need to be IR sensitive to see the front yard in the night.
and motion detected if possible.

thats about it. any info you guys can give on the cheapest way to go about this and where to buy stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Reitterating,
Mainly need info on
-Cameras
-Software
-PC interface card.

thanks
Old July 6, 2009, 05:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Take a look over at Security Camera, Security DVR, LOREX, Security Cameras, Wireless security Camera, network security camera, surveillance camera, security system, CCTV security observation system, surveillance cameras, surveillance DVR, security DVR, wireless camera | I believe they have reasonably priced outdoor night vision cameras that have the features of being wired, wireless, wifi and more, along with the appropriate receivers and software. See which works the best for yourself
Old July 6, 2009, 05:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thanks, that place seems a little pricey though.

I found this site Wholesale Security Cameras, Video Surveillance Camera, CCTV Security Camera, Surveillance Camera, has anyone ever heard of it? I found some "howto" and they linked this site. Seems like you can get a set of cameras and capture card for pretty cheap.
Day & Night Color CCD Infrared Waterproof CCTV Camera

36LED 420TVL IR Digital Video Security CCTV CCD Camera,IR Digital CCD Video Camera

CCTV PCI DVR Video Capture Card DSR-104, Video Card, CCTV Card, PCI Card, DVR Card

20m CCTV Surveillance Camera Video Cable w. BNC Male Connector, 20m CCTV Camera Cable

I think after all this stuff all I need is a cheap computer with software and a monitor. Any opinions?
Old July 7, 2009, 06:08 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

bump.
Old July 7, 2009, 07:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

AkG is the security expert around here. However, we did review this unit:

QNAP Systems, Inc. ( NVR-1012 ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider

Review: QNAP NVR-1012 Network Surveillance System Review
Old July 7, 2009, 09:43 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Logitech has a complete package. It has motion-based video recording, don't know about IR though.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/video_security_systems/devices/4324&cl=ca,en
http://www.wilife.com/Products/Outdoor-Camera.aspx