Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2009, 06:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
So what psu are you choosing anyways? And I say 1gig version of the 4870 since their pretty cheap in the end anyways
I was looking at this one

THERMALTAKE 600W PUREPOWER ATX 2.0 W0121RU POWER SUPPLY SLI CROSSFIRE READY
Old July 10, 2009, 11:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmame View Post
That place has such a poor selection of PSUs...

You'd be far better off with a Corsair VX550 at roughly the same price. Thermaltake's only decent line of PSUs is the ToughPower series, the rest are of questionable quality IMO.

And I'm guessing you'll void all your warranty/support by replacing the PSU. Makes buying a Dell pretty silly at this point since you could of just started off with all the right components rather than basically throwing away parts.
Old July 11, 2009, 10:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
That place has such a poor selection of PSUs...

You'd be far better off with a Corsair VX550 at roughly the same price. Thermaltake's only decent line of PSUs is the ToughPower series, the rest are of questionable quality IMO.

And I'm guessing you'll void all your warranty/support by replacing the PSU. Makes buying a Dell pretty silly at this point since you could of just started off with all the right components rather than basically throwing away parts.

well friend has same computer no warranty sticker on case opening, but there is one on the PSU to the case, so im thinking is there any OK entry level gaming card i can put in this until the warranty runs out that will not require a bigger PSU (300W).. i don't care about maxed out resolutions and stuff like that as long as its playable at a decent frame rate on medium or lower settings

OR maybe run a separate smaller PSU dedicated to the video card
Old July 11, 2009, 08:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The most you could run without swapping the PSU is a HD4670, which isn't that bad of a card I suppose. Definitely better than what you have now and should cope with games decently.
Old July 11, 2009, 09:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
The most you could run without swapping the PSU is a HD4670, which isn't that bad of a card I suppose. Definitely better than what you have now and should cope with games decently.
Alright thanks, ill pick one up for now
Old July 22, 2009, 06:57 PM
Rookie

Well got my computer last week put the HD4670 in today and plays prototype, GRID, GTA4, Oblivion and Test drive very well. very happy with the system so far.. I will end up swapping out video card and PSU next year. Wanted to thank you all again for your help i'm pleased with all your advice.. glad i got the quad processor over the dual. and the video card performs alot better then the one that came with it.
Old July 22, 2009, 07:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmame View Post
Well got my computer last week put the HD4670 in today and plays prototype, GRID, GTA4, Oblivion and Test drive very well. very happy with the system so far.. I will end up swapping out video card and PSU next year. Wanted to thank you all again for your help i'm pleased with all your advice.. glad i got the quad processor over the dual. and the video card performs alot better then the one that came with it.
Good to hear that it all worked out for you

Enjoy your gaming