Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 07:01 AM
jcmaz's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,455

My System Specs

Default

THIS IS BLASPHEMY!!!!
__________________
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

-Plato
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 08:08 AM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

$800 for gaming? Before tax or after?

Here's one for roughly $800 before tax that I think would kick ass for gaming.

E7400 Newegg.ca - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops $135
Foxconn P45 Board Newegg.ca - Foxconn ELA LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards $79
22" Monitor Newegg.ca - Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors $179
XFX 4870 1GB Newegg.ca - XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $165
OCZ 600W PSU Newegg.ca - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies $75
WD 640 GB Caviar HDD Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives $75
G-Skill RAM DDR2 1066 Newegg.ca - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory $55
Antec 300 Case Newegg.ca - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $59

This totals about $825 before taxes and that's just on Newegg. You might be better to do it with NCIX and then price match everything to the lowest prices you can find using the HWC price searching service. You could probably shave a few bucks off here and there.
Also, if you live outside of BC, you don't pay PST when you order from NCIX.
__________________
[SIZE=3]

Last edited by zlojack; July 7, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 08:19 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,833
Default

What Dell to get for gaming? That's like asking what slingshot to buy for Rhino hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 09:05 AM
gingerbee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 6,827

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
What Dell to get for gaming? That's like asking what slingshot to buy for Rhino hunting.
So true ROFL thank squeetard
__________________
Fav quote "One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret." Ronin Harris
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 09:14 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,828
Default

Do you need a new monitor? If not, that $800 will go WAY further.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 09:23 AM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Do you need a new monitor? If not, that $800 will go WAY further.
Very true.
__________________
[SIZE=3]
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 09:43 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
$800 for gaming? Before tax or after?

Here's one for roughly $800 before tax that I think would kick ass for gaming.

E7400 Newegg.ca - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops $135
Foxconn P45 Board Newegg.ca - Foxconn ELA LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards $79
22" Monitor Newegg.ca - Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors $179
XFX 4870 1GB Newegg.ca - XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $165
OCZ 600W PSU Newegg.ca - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies $75
WD 640 GB Caviar HDD Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives $75
G-Skill RAM DDR2 1066 Newegg.ca - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory $55
Antec 300 Case Newegg.ca - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $59

This totals about $825 before taxes and that's just on Newegg. You might be better to do it with NCIX and then price match everything to the lowest prices you can find using the HWC price searching service. You could probably shave a few bucks off here and there.
Also, if you live outside of BC, you don't pay PST when you order from NCIX.
People always seem to forget some one the essentials.

Operating System ($140)
DVD Drive ($35)
Mouse ($20+)
Keyboard ($30+)

I don't know about you but when I buy a new computer I don't want to be using my ratty old peripherals.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 09:45 AM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
People always seem to forget some one the essentials.

Operating System ($140)
DVD Drive ($35)
Mouse ($20+)
Keyboard ($30+)

I don't know about you but when I buy a new computer I don't want to be using my ratty old peripherals.
True.

I did that in a bit of a hurry
__________________
[SIZE=3]
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 01:39 PM
jcmaz's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,455

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
People always seem to forget some one the essentials.

Operating System ($140)
DVD Drive ($35)
Mouse ($20+)
Keyboard ($30+)

I don't know about you but when I buy a new computer I don't want to be using my ratty old peripherals.
My brother uses ~6 year old keyboard. It works and that's all we care about :)
__________________
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

-Plato
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2009, 01:41 PM
TimTheEnchanter's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 841
Default

If you can wait just save up some money and buy all parts in special. NCIX often has good surprise sales. It'll allow to save some more money and buy a decent computer. Honestly, DELL, even with financing, will make you regret your purchase in a year or so. As soon as you want to play a new game, you'll want to buy a good GPU (wanted to play GTA IV, you said?) and your good ol' DELL psu won't allow you.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dell SP2008WFP CrazyScott Display Units 2 January 21, 2009 02:04 PM
Dell S2409W mattlef Display Units 1 December 17, 2008 07:20 PM
Dell M1330 darkorb Mobile Computing 14 August 13, 2008 06:25 AM
Dell Phasing Out XPS Gaming Systems Hardware Canucks Press Releases & Tech News 0 May 13, 2008 12:32 PM