Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2009, 02:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Low budget TF2 server help appreciated

Hey guys,

So I was thinking about putting a little server together.

Mainly I want to use it to host Team Forteress 2, file storage and use it to share a printer on the network.

I want to run probably Linux on it and as low costing as possible. I'm fairly new to the server world, I know that CPU power and good ram I'm thinking is much more useful than GPU power.

I threw a little quick thing together.

E5200
Gigabyte mobo (not sure yet)
4GB cheap GSkill ram
Corsair 400W
WD HDDs, probably Green
Powercolor 3650 (i think) on sale for 35$ right now

Any suggestions, comments? Thx guys!
Old July 6, 2009, 03:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

To save some money you could just get a motherboard with onboard video as you don't need any real video power for a server. Your limiting factor will likely be your bandwidth for the TF2 server, but I'd think that the E5200 should have enough power (and could be overclocked extremely easily without needing to change any voltages).
Old July 6, 2009, 04:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, like CanadaRox said, you're going to have to take into consideration what your internet connection speed is as to offer all those who connect a lagless experience as well as making sure you don't go over your bandwidth cap from doing it as well otherwise you'll find a nasty overcharge (the fee's for over your limit bandwidth are ridiculous). Also, if you are with Bell good luck hosting because they packet shape/limit bandwidth during peak hours and would making hosting a game server damn near impossible unless you found a work around
Old July 6, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One word: teksavvy. I think you can get around the traffic shaping with some tomato and custom firmware and they got an unlimited plan too. Your mileage may vary so don't hold me to my word XD