Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2009, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Default New Build Advice?

First things first:
This build will be used for a little bit of everything; games, movies, media, etc.
My budget is around $2500 CAD (that being said, I'm buying from Canada)
I prefer Intel/Nvidia, although I'm planning to get one of the new ATI cards when they're released in October.

So, I'm planning to work all summer to rack up enough cash to buy a decent computer. I've read through quite a few reviews, and I've decided upon the following components:

Hardware
CASE - COOLERMASTER ATCS 840
CPU - i7 920 (Planning to OC to 3.8GHz)
HEATSINK - Nocuta NH-U12P
MOBO - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
RAM - 6GB OCZ Platinum
PSU - Corsair HX850W
OPTICAL DRIVE - Samsung SH-S223F
HDD - 1TB WD1001FALS
SOUND CARD - Asus Xonar

Peripherals/Misc
CASE FANS - (2) Thermaltake ISGC Fan 12 (1300RPM)
HEADEST - Sennheiser PC350
FAN CONTROLLER - Zalman MFC1 Plus-B

NOTE: I'll be using my current EVGA 9800GTX+ until ATI releases their new cards in October, then I'll probably pick one of those up.

Also, I recently ordered a 2408WFP during Dell's "Dell Days" sale for $499 (originally $699), which should team up nicely with my current HP w2007 :]

Just wondering if you guys could give it a brief look, see if everything checks out, if it's compatable and whatnot. This would be my first build, so I don't want anything going wrong.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Sodium Bromate; June 29, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old June 29, 2009, 06:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Other than the Thermaltake fans, I like your parts list. Room to grow with your PSU, too.
Old June 29, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice build, my only issue is that case. Bit pricey but whatever floats your boat. (It also looks like its out of stock at CC tho) Oh and what's the video card?

Old June 29, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250W EPS12V ATX 24PIN Modular Power Supply - EGX1250ETW-01 In Canada.

Go water with that budget, if you comfortable with it
Old June 29, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

keep the case, it's one of the most awesome case in the market
Old June 29, 2009, 06:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
Nice build, my only issue is that case. Bit pricey but whatever floats your boat. (It also looks like its out of stock at CC tho) Oh and what's the video card?
My bad, forgot to update the link.
Oh, and as I stated in the OP, I'm using my 9800GTX+ until ATI releases their new cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapmaster View Post
Ehh, not looking for anything >1000W.
And I'm not at all comfortable with water cooling, I'm a newbie. ;]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapmaster View Post
keep the case, it's one of the most awesome case in the market
Wasn't planning on changing it. :D

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Old June 29, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice build you got there.
For what it is worth this is my recommendations:
A) change the fans. Noctua's NF-P12s or Scythe Es. Much better and no need for a fan controller.
B) have you considered the HAF 932. I own both...tested both and reviewed both for HWC and I prefer the HAF 932...especially with lots of the above fans installed. YMMV ;)
C) Heatsink. as w/ B... I own both...tested most of 'em and reviewed most of 'em for HWC. Either get (in ascending order of preference) a Xigmatek Thor's Hammer, TRUE or ProlimaTech Mega. They will give you better temps at high OCs. Especially when paired with anything from Scythe E/Fs, NF-P12s, or Yate Loons. Where you plan for high temp OC (most likely unless you get a really cool running 920) I'd also recommend going w/ DUAL fans, in push/pull setup.
D) While they are good my personal preference is for Mushkin for OC'ing. YMMV ;) Also you might want to check out the OCZ Blades. Also sweet kit. :)

Let us know how it goes...WITH PICTURES! We love tech pron!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 29, 2009, 07:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Nice build you got there.
For what it is worth this is my recommendations:
A) change the fans. Noctua's NF-P12s or Scythe Es. Much better and no need for a fan controller.
B) have you considered the HAF 932. I own both...tested both and reviewed both for HWC and I prefer the HAF 932...especially with lots of the above fans installed. YMMV ;)
C) Heatsink. as w/ B... I own both...tested most of 'em and reviewed most of 'em for HWC. Either get (in ascending order of preference) a Xigmatek Thor's Hammer, TRUE or ProlimaTech Mega. They will give you better temps at high OCs. Especially when paired with anything from Scythe E/Fs, NF-P12s, or Yate Loons. Where you plan for high temp OC (most likely unless you get a really cool running 920) I'd also recommend going w/ DUAL fans, in push/pull setup.
D) While they are good my personal preference is for Mushkin for OC'ing. YMMV ;) Also you might want to check out the OCZ Blades. Also sweet kit. :)

Let us know how it goes...WITH PICTURES! We love tech pron!
Wow, thanks for all of the tips!
Just wondering, what's the difference between the Noctua NF-P12 and the Thermaltake fans I chose? Same RPM, but the Thermaltakes are quieter.

I'll definitely take Xigmatek's Thor's Hammer in to consideration, it looks great.

I'll be sure to post pics once it's assembled. :)
Old June 29, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was kidding on the PSU

for the heat sink, maybe consider the Mugen 2, comparable to the TRUE but cost half the price

NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Mugen 2 Heatpipe CPU Heatsink LGA1366 LGA775 Socket AM2 120MM - SCMG-2000 In Canada.
Old June 29, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Those thermaltake fans IMHO are over rated, Noctuas will easilly be quieter then a thermaltake fan, I agree with the comments made on the build, you did a great job on your original build. I personally like the xigmatek thors hammer HSF over the noctua, I know lots of people will fight tooth and nail for noctua but their HSFs are a tad lacking imo especially for their reletive price point.

The ATCS is a great case and I wish I could afford one, theres no way Id change it out for a haf, although the haf is a decent case, aluminum all the way. Even being a newbie you should look at maybe some prebuilt watercooling kits, just for the fun of it and lowering your temps a touch, I know alot of people call the swiftech kits boring but they always have everything you need and cool decently, and are super easy to setup for a first timer. But really solid first build even if you keep the thermal take fans youll love that computer and it will handle anything you throw at it =)

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.