Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2009, 06:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Those thermaltake fans IMHO are over rated, Noctuas will easilly be quieter then a thermaltake fan, I agree with the comments made on the build, you did a great job on your original build. I personally like the xigmatek thors hammer HSF over the noctua, I know lots of people will fight tooth and nail for noctua but their HSFs are a tad lacking imo especially for their reletive price point.

The ATCS is a great case and I wish I could afford one, theres no way Id change it out for a haf, although the haf is a decent case, aluminum all the way. Even being a newbie you should look at maybe some prebuilt watercooling kits, just for the fun of it and lowering your temps a touch, I know alot of people call the swiftech kits boring but they always have everything you need and cool decently, and are super easy to setup for a first timer. But really solid first build even if you keep the thermal take fans youll love that computer and it will handle anything you throw at it =)
Thanks for the advice :)
However, my question still stands.
How are the Noctua fans better than the Thermaltake?
They run at the same RPM, yet the Thermaltakes are 3.8 dba quieter.
ISGC vs NF-P12

Again, thanks for the feedback!
Old June 30, 2009, 07:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The difference is NF-P12s are in reality most likely quieter. Tt's numbers...hell ALL fan mfg'er numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just 'cuase they claim its lower DBA doesn't mean it really is. The Tt numbers could have been taken from a further distance. PLUS Nocuta NF-P12s come with two fan speed limiters so using a secondary fan controller is not needed. This will save you moeny. Trust us when we say that Noctua makes very good fans. Fans most of us here have used in numerous builds. I don't want to start a flame war by saying which is better in Scythe vs Noctua...BUT either one will most likely be better than Tt fans. YMMV. There are some very good Tt branded fans out there but they are notorious for fudging their DBA numbers.

As for HAF 932 vs ATCS 840. The HAF 932 is cheaper and can take more 120mm fans for air cooling (especially for GPUs...an area where the ATCS sucks at). IF WC'ing is in your future the ATCS wins. Looks...ATCS wins (the HAF is many things, but elegant is not one of them) BUT the HAF is cheaper....giving you more money in your budget for better goodies. Think long and hard what is most important to you...then see them both in person....THEN make your decision ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 30, 2009, 07:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The difference is NF-P12s are in reality most likely quieter. Tt's numbers...hell ALL fan mfg'er numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just 'cuase they claim its lower DBA doesn't mean it really is. The Tt numbers could have been taken from a further distance. PLUS Nocuta NF-P12s come with two fan speed limiters so using a secondary fan controller is not needed. This will save you moeny. Trust us when we say that Noctua makes very good fans. Fans most of us here have used in numerous builds. I don't want to start a flame war by saying which is better in Scythe vs Noctua...BUT either one will most likely be better than Tt fans. YMMV. There are some very good Tt branded fans out there but they are notorious for fudging their DBA numbers.

As for HAF 932 vs ATCS 840. The HAF 932 is cheaper and can take more 120mm fans for air cooling (especially for GPUs...an area where the ATCS sucks at). IF WC'ing is in your future the ATCS wins. Looks...ATCS wins (the HAF is many things, but elegant is not one of them) BUT the HAF is cheaper....giving you more money in your budget for better goodies. Think long and hard what is most important to you...then see them both in person....THEN make your decision ;)
Makes sense. I knew that the Noctua fans were very well built, I was just wondering where the differences in the sound were coming from.

Quick question about the ATCS's cooling; does the external black box thing really help? It's supposed to suck all of the hot air produced by the graphics card out of the case, but it seems kind of gimmicky to me.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It works....BUT is ugly as a pimple on a GFs forehead...and it makes a deep case even that much deeper.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 30, 2009, 08:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Just on an off note, the new TT Fans (the one you are referring to) are not that bad actually. They take a Page out of Noctua with their vortex notches and smooth bearings.
Much better IMO than the last Generation Thunderblade or Smart fans for sure.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 30, 2009, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
It works....BUT is ugly as a pimple on a GFs forehead...and it makes a deep case even that much deeper.
Is that girlfriend, grandfather or George Foreman? hehehe...
Old June 30, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

All of the above =(

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.