Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
Rookie

Default Mini-ITX NAS within a PC (TJ-07)

Okay so I've been saving and planning to get a TJ-07 and put my PC into but I also wanted to build a NAS and I got to thinking why not build an ITX NAS inside the bottom chamber and save some space. The issue I've been pondering is the video. I wanted to use a touchscreen LCD in the front 5.25 inch bays but I can't find anything that will fit there. This way I won't need a keyboard or mouse hooked up to the ITX board and I can hide it all inside the case. I've looked at the thermaltake 7 inch one but that doesn't fit in a regular 5.25 inch bay. Does anyone know of a panel I could use for this. I was thinking I could just use Vista for it as it already has the built in touchscreen software. Any ideas would be more than welcome.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Newegg.com - Moneual LAB Black / Silver Aluminum MonCaso 932T ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - HTPC / Media Center Cases
This is the best I have to sujest. The only thing I'm not sure is if the screen is a complete one or it can only be used with soft like media center. It's also an ATX, I know you were searching for a Mini-ITX one but wow you are asking a hard one:P
I also find that at tom's that can be interesting
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...reen,2129.html

regard

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 24, 2009, 06:53 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You won't find any single 5.25" touchscreen LCDs. Minimal would be dual 5.25" slots.
I have the Moncaso for my HTPC, and the touchscreen works very well. I slaved my video output, and it shows my Vista desktop very clearly. Costly though.
Old June 24, 2009, 08:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The only other thing that comes to mind for me, is the ThermalTake Mozart has a 7" bay that fits Thermaltakes 7" Computer Touch/Flatscreen. But that alone will cost quite a bit for sure.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 24, 2009, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Sorry for going off topic, but what is a NAS? and what benefits does it add?

Old June 24, 2009, 09:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
Sorry for going off topic, but what is a NAS? and what benefits does it add?
Network Attached Storage, basically it is like a home server. Allows someone to put a one to several hard drives accessible either to a local network or remotely. Its great if you have a lot of media and want to share it to other computers, or use a low power consumption system to stream/access remotely.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Network Attached Storage, basically it is like a home server. Allows someone to put a one to several hard drives accessible either to a local network or remotely. Its great if you have a lot of media and want to share it to other computers, or use a low power consumption system to stream/access remotely.
That's kinda cool, I can see how that could be useful. Thanks.

Old June 24, 2009, 09:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Technically you shouldn't have any need to be accessing the NAS frequently, so why not just VNC/Remote Desktop into it? Cheapest solution.
Old June 24, 2009, 02:17 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

My NAS is composed of dual Dlink DNS-323s, with dual 1Tb WD Greens in Raid 1. Works like a charm over the network (wired, wireless-n), especially since my router (DIR-655) is gigabit-compatible, same as the 323s.
Old June 24, 2009, 03:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My NAS is composed of dual Dlink DNS-323s, with dual 1Tb WD Greens in Raid 1. Works like a charm over the network (wired, wireless-n), especially since my router (DIR-655) is gigabit-compatible, same as the 323s.
Are you running the latest beta firmware for it (1.08). I like the changes they've done with it. I also am running a DNS-323, with a 1.5 TB HDD and 320 GB HDD not in raid at all. Using the DGS-1008D in front of my router to get gigabit speeds to the computers. Also running twonky on it to stream video/music straight from it to 360. Only problem i ever ran into was upgrading firmware from 1.05 to 1.06, it auto-formatted my 320 GB HDD and had to get my stuff again the long way >.<