Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Mini-ITX NAS within a PC (TJ-07) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/19234-mini-itx-nas-within-pc-tj-07-a.html)

Caznoob June 23, 2009 10:29 PM

Mini-ITX NAS within a PC (TJ-07)

Okay so I've been saving and planning to get a TJ-07 and put my PC into but I also wanted to build a NAS and I got to thinking why not build an ITX NAS inside the bottom chamber and save some space. The issue I've been pondering is the video. I wanted to use a touchscreen LCD in the front 5.25 inch bays but I can't find anything that will fit there. This way I won't need a keyboard or mouse hooked up to the ITX board and I can hide it all inside the case. I've looked at the thermaltake 7 inch one but that doesn't fit in a regular 5.25 inch bay. Does anyone know of a panel I could use for this. I was thinking I could just use Vista for it as it already has the built in touchscreen software. Any ideas would be more than welcome.

martin_metal_88 June 24, 2009 06:22 AM

Newegg.com - Moneual LAB Black / Silver Aluminum MonCaso 932T ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - HTPC / Media Center Cases
This is the best I have to sujest. The only thing I'm not sure is if the screen is a complete one or it can only be used with soft like media center. It's also an ATX, I know you were searching for a Mini-ITX one but wow you are asking a hard one:P
I also find that at tom's that can be interesting
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...reen,2129.html

regard

3.0charlie June 24, 2009 06:53 AM

You won't find any single 5.25" touchscreen LCDs. Minimal would be dual 5.25" slots.
I have the Moncaso for my HTPC, and the touchscreen works very well. I slaved my video output, and it shows my Vista desktop very clearly. Costly though.

Soultribunal June 24, 2009 08:27 AM

The only other thing that comes to mind for me, is the ThermalTake Mozart has a 7" bay that fits Thermaltakes 7" Computer Touch/Flatscreen. But that alone will cost quite a bit for sure.

ST

Cowboy June 24, 2009 09:28 AM

Sorry for going off topic, but what is a NAS? and what benefits does it add?

Arinoth June 24, 2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy (Post 213306)
Sorry for going off topic, but what is a NAS? and what benefits does it add?

Network Attached Storage, basically it is like a home server. Allows someone to put a one to several hard drives accessible either to a local network or remotely. Its great if you have a lot of media and want to share it to other computers, or use a low power consumption system to stream/access remotely.

Cowboy June 24, 2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 213312)
Network Attached Storage, basically it is like a home server. Allows someone to put a one to several hard drives accessible either to a local network or remotely. Its great if you have a lot of media and want to share it to other computers, or use a low power consumption system to stream/access remotely.

That's kinda cool, I can see how that could be useful. Thanks.

JD June 24, 2009 09:42 AM

Technically you shouldn't have any need to be accessing the NAS frequently, so why not just VNC/Remote Desktop into it? Cheapest solution.

3.0charlie June 24, 2009 02:17 PM

My NAS is composed of dual Dlink DNS-323s, with dual 1Tb WD Greens in Raid 1. Works like a charm over the network (wired, wireless-n), especially since my router (DIR-655) is gigabit-compatible, same as the 323s.

Arinoth June 24, 2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 213451)
My NAS is composed of dual Dlink DNS-323s, with dual 1Tb WD Greens in Raid 1. Works like a charm over the network (wired, wireless-n), especially since my router (DIR-655) is gigabit-compatible, same as the 323s.

Are you running the latest beta firmware for it (1.08). I like the changes they've done with it. I also am running a DNS-323, with a 1.5 TB HDD and 320 GB HDD not in raid at all. Using the DGS-1008D in front of my router to get gigabit speeds to the computers. Also running twonky on it to stream video/music straight from it to 360. Only problem i ever ran into was upgrading firmware from 1.05 to 1.06, it auto-formatted my 320 GB HDD and had to get my stuff again the long way >.<