Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2009, 10:29 PM
Rookie

Okay I'm being convinced if there's a few of you touting the P5Q-pro then I'll track it down it seems to be more available anyways. Well I actually found the P5Q-pro and the pro turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX the turbo was only $89.99, seems like a good deal, I think the only difference between the pro and the pro turbo for performance was it could utilize more ram 8 vs. 16 GB I believe. But either option does save me $50-$60 from the P5Q-E.

As for the DVD/burner I found this

LG GH22LS30 Black 22x SATA Lightscribe DVDRW OEM for only $31.83

I still need to review a fan (or two) to throw into the case, then possibly an OP but Windows 7 seems like a good bet same with AVG antivirus. As it stands I'm looking at $893.56 not taking any other price modifiers into consideration. By all means keep the opinions coming. When building time actually comes due then I'll just keep this computer open and download and print out step by step instructions. I can order a few parts now but really it'll be a couple weeks before I can get it all together. If everything seems to be compatible and get the thumbs up then I'll start ordering parts based on availability.
Old June 22, 2009, 10:34 PM
Rookie

thanks for the fan link Crossfire :)
and thanks for the offer perineum, the pride in me will want to go at this solo for actual building but right now any advice and criticism is gold to me.

So I've decided on a well reviewed
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler which would mount of course on the Q9550. Then there's the fan that's regularly on the PSU so I imagine I'd need one more fan and most likely a case fan to bring air flow into the case. Or would I need more fans on other components like the P5Q- pro turbo or the ATI 4890, I know the video card has it's own heat sink but is it enough?

Last edited by whitelight; June 22, 2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: one more question
Old June 22, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Newegg.com is USD pricing, that quad core is $219 USD not CND, you have to actually goto newegg.ca to get canadian pricing.

As for the stock CM fans their not bad, they are their LED and non LED flavor silent cools and their fairly quiet but move a decent amount of air, if your looking to go with a CM 690 either yate loon fans or the CM silentcool 120mm blue LED or regular black fans work pretty decently for the price. Sythe sflex and slipstreams are pretty pricy.

$942.45 <-- this total is deffinetly atleast partly USD, better check what sites your going by, a great way to check for the best pricing is to go with pricecanada.com, normally when I research a build I use price canada to find the lowest prices and normally try and price match everything at NCIX to get everything at 1 place.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 22, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually got 2 of those blue led 120mm CM fans...and they suck tbh. For the price and CFM you're getting at those noise levels is just not worth it. At 12V, those things sound like a leafblower, even compared to tricools.
I'd actually recommend a Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 120MM Fan 1200RPM 68.5CFM 24DBATheir cheap compared to the sflex. One of the best fans I've ever used.

They don't have much static pressure so some say their best used as exhaust fans only but tbh, I didn't really see much temp changes in my own rig switching between the sflex (which has higher static pressure) and the slipstream. Also, if you ever need to adjust the fanspeed on non-pwm fans, you can always follow this 12v/7v/5v guide on SPCR
Old June 23, 2009, 12:01 AM
Rookie

thanks again for all the advice guys, Realityshift you are right about the CND vs US pricing. I kinda overlooked that little detail and it would make a huge difference no doubt. Now I gotta sit back and absorb all this info.

Have a good night and I'll have more questions for you all MWHAA HA HA
Old June 23, 2009, 02:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The coolermaster blue LEDs where $4.50 when I bought them so at 45CFM/22DB they have been awesome fans, their also whisper quiet when ive had them running in my case with nothing but case fans in them so I dunno how you figure they sound like leaf blowers? their also rated 2DB lower then the kaze jyunis. To each his own I guess but the CM fans have easily proven themselves to me.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 23, 2009, 04:14 PM
Rookie

Well after reviewing a few different options I opted to order a few parts now while some of them were on special from Ncix.com The parts I ordered were

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24pin ATX
Coolermaster cm 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5x5.25 5x3.5int Front UBS sound&eSATA
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc. 3.5in SATA Drive OEM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Quad core proc. LGA775 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB

the rest I have yet to order will be

2x Cooler Master Neon Blue LED 120MM case fan 3pin 22DBA 1220RPM 42.734CFM 3pins
Asus P5Q-pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 Crossfire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 sound GBLAN eSATA
G.Skill F2-8500 CL5D-4GBPK PC2-8500 4GB 2x2GB DDR2-1066 CL 5-5-5-15 240 Pin Dual Channel Memory Kit
then a decent HD 4890 1GB graphics card preferably sapphire cause I've heard great things about the paticular brand but really anything comparible and compatible at the 1GB level will do
LG SATA lightscribe DVDRW OEM

It also looks like I may go for windows XP 64 bit edition only because I"ll have a hard copy, I wouldn't mind the Windows 7 rc version but... sigh.. here's where I'm going to embarrass myself. If I don't have a running computer as in no operating system, then how would I download that program? Plus if I do get it for free then great, but does anyone have any idea how much they'd most likely charge people to get it legit? (when it comes out on shelves next year). It seems Microsoft would be in a position to gouge customers with the threat of removing the existing (free) OS. Apperantly they would give you warnings for a month or a couple weeks and your OS would be useless for 2 hours of everyday until the time expires at which point the OS deletes itself. I could be wrong on that but it just seems like a risky venture.

P.S. I can't thank you all enough, I've visited other forums which have also offered great advice but a select few of you gave could critical feedback. If I end up losing hair over the assembly (I'm sure I'll be fine) then I may take some of you up on the help option
Old June 23, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Go with XFX for an ATI video card, best warranty out of any ATI partner and I personally wouldnt look at any other partner that sells ATI stuff. I personally have run into 2 very horribly handled saphire RMAs and will never buy from them again. XFX is double life time warranty meaning if you sell the card you can transfer the warranty onto the new owner.

The new version of windows will be around the same price as vista or any of their opperating systems, they wont price gouge you just cuz you used the RC they wont even know you used the RC if you buy a new copy of windows 7 ;) Do you not have accsess to another PC? To install windows 7 you download an image file and burn it to a DVD so you have a hard copy, you then install from that DVD so you can install it on a brand new PC that does not previously have an OS on it. Running the RC will be the same as a normal OS up untill the month before, but windows 7 is set to release well before that date so you have time to just buy a copy of the retail when it comes out.

Other then that the build looks great and im sure you will be very happy with it =) Also if your at all into folding at home take a look at the GTX 275 as another video card option.

Old June 23, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can mail you a copy of Windows 7 RC 32bit or 64bit if you like...
Old June 24, 2009, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Thanks Perineum :)
I did however manage to copy Windows 7 RC to DVD so I should be fine. Some of the parts were out of stock though so I'll get what I can now and jsut have to wait until they get more stock and send it down. I'll tell you guys how it goes, thanks again for the support :D

Tags
advice , build , gaming build , new computer , q9550