Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2009, 06:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Great build ST, and you can save some cash by not getting vista and sticking with the windows 7 RC for now, Personally I dont like the Armor MX case, there is a ton of very flimsy plastic on its front and top and $145 is a little much for a case of its calibre =( If your going to spend $145 go with a coolermaster storm sniper or a haf, youll get better cooling and IMHO better build quality.
Hmmm, odd choice really.
I've got that exact Case. Nothing on it feels flimsy to me.
And Cooling, is awsome on my twin VC's working 511's.

Again, to each their own.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 22, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Maybe theres a different revision, when the case came out 3 of my buddies bought them and 2 of them are pretty mangled already and all 3 just felt flimsy to me =( That and from reviews I read previous to my recent build (was going to with that case over my 690) I just judged it harshly, I do however like the look of it.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Maybe theres a different revision, when the case came out 3 of my buddies bought them and 2 of them are pretty mangled already and all 3 just felt flimsy to me =( That and from reviews I read previous to my recent build (was going to with that case over my 690) I just judged it harshly, I do however like the look of it.
Perhaps, The First set that came out was not the best.
But development and learning takes time.
If you would have had the pleasure of working on the one I built, you'd love it.
Its about as solid as they come.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old June 22, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Haha good to know now >.< It was in my top 3 choices...

to the OP I resend my negetive comments about the Armor MX case =)

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 22, 2009, 06:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Haha good to know now >.< It was in my top 3 choices...

to the OP I resend my negetive comments about the Armor MX case =)
See, peaceful discussion.
And no worries, as many know the CM690 Has long since been on my hit list for a case.
But, No side window on it as standard.
So, that kinda sucks.
Also, the MX is an Extended MidTower. I'll do a Side By Side with my apollo, and you'll see how its dwarfed lol.

Thanks RS.

ST

Old June 22, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah thats why I liked the NV version of the CM690 but after doing the math my case plus the optional sidewindow panel was cheaper in the long run then the NV would have been. I would never run this case without a side window, the normal side panel is pretty fugly. I thought the MX was the mid tower? is it really an Eatx? If so then it fits into the $145 range pretty well as thats pretty much the lowest price if seen a good EATX case run for.

Old June 22, 2009, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeah thats why I liked the NV version of the CM690 but after doing the math my case plus the optional sidewindow panel was cheaper in the long run then the NV would have been. I would never run this case without a side window, the normal side panel is pretty fugly. I thought the MX was the mid tower? is it really an Eatx? If so then it fits into the $145 range pretty well as thats pretty much the lowest price if seen a good EATX case run for.
Flex ATX I believe. eATX not Sure of, would have to RTFM.
Anywho, Don't want to hijack thread any further lol!
All in all,

+ 1 for CM690 or Armor MX+ lol!

ST

Old June 22, 2009, 08:45 PM
Rookie

wow, I see alot of different build options, some options I like or have intrigued me. Until I can research it more though I'm going to just stick to this build I've researched but constructive criticism is always appreciated, in fact it's needed because now seeing that ordering parts is the best option I want to make sure all parts are readily compatible and you guys with more experience will most likely find mistakes with my build that I haven't.

This is what I've found online so far that 'seems' decent

Cooler Master cm 690 Mid Tower Black 5x5.25 5x3.5 int front USB sound firewire & eSATA
$89.79 through Ncix.com

Corsair TX750 750W ATX 12V 60A 24 pin Active PFC 140mm Fan
$118.99 through Ncix.com / $119.99 through Newegg.com

Asus P5Q-E motherboard ATX P45 DDR2 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN 1394
$148.72 through Ncix.com

G.Skill 8500 (1066MHz) 4GB (2x2) 64bit OS supported Timing 5-5-5-15 Voltage 2.0-2.1 240pin $59.99 through Ncix.com

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad core
$219.99 through Newegg.com

Western Digital black 640GB 7200rpm
$69.99 through Newegg.com / $77.99 through Ncix.com

ATI 100269SR Radeon HD4890 1GB 256-bit GDDRS PCI Express 2.0x 16 HDPC ready Crossfire supported video card Core clock 850MHz, Stream Processors 800,
Memory Clock 975 MHz (3.6 Gbps)
$209.99 through Newegg.com

LG 22xDVD/R DVD burner with Lightscribe IDE Model GH22LP20-OEM
$24.99 through Newegg.com

I also will need a fan or 2 to help keep things cool, I have yet to review fans though but input in this category is also appreciated but so far the tally is $942.45 but this is jsut base pricing not including or deducting any taxes, or specials, or mail in rebates or shipping costs (the mail in rebates I won't be bothering with it just feels like a hassle why do they make us do it? those bastards know we're lazy :) )

Now if there's any weakness or flaw with this build then by all means tell me. I realize the motherboard is critical at this point considering that what I've been learning is that it ties everything in together and compatibility is key. I must admit though I find all the numerical information regarding RAM and the motherboard is still confusing to me. I'm guessing for the motherboard most of the information is ports and what it supports. While for RAM I'm not sure what 5-5-5-15 timing means or how it relates to everything else but I imagine it will all become clear one day.... it's like walking into a cockpit and seeing all the dials and readouts and having no idea what it all means but knowing they wouldn't have it unless it was important somehow.

I'm gonna go over some of the builds you guys suggested and start comparing, my crash course goes on, and to think I haven't even really touched software yet, Windows 7 sounds interesting I jsut wish the hard copy was available. I know that the BIOS and OP are the first thigns to tackle when it's all put together and the first power up is initiated. But I will admit, I feel like a kid at Christmas time again, thanks for suggesting to build it myself guys after seeing what stores were seeling parts at I realize I'll easily save almost $500, it's actually mindboggling
Old June 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

P5Q-Pro is better and cheaper... $130 regular price with $15 rebate from NCIX

Ditch the IDE burner and go with a SATA version....

Don't worry about the RAM timing too much. Even if it's not set optimal the difference in actual use wouldn't be all that noticeable.

And again, if you feel unsure, I'll help.
Old June 22, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Woohoo..Infonec, great place to get stuff if your in Toronto since all the warranties go through them so no need for you to pay shipping for any RMA's. RMA'd a card to evga through them even after it was out of warranty and paid nothing. In the OP's case, I'd think ncix would be best though.

Oh and infonec can actually price match stuff too but I've been told all the stuff I'm pm'n is below cost. Then, a few days later they manage to have promo/sales around the same price i attempt to pm me to -.-"

As for fans, not really sure what you HWC lifetimers recommend :P but personally, I prefer quiet fans with good airflow. I'd recommend 1200 or 1600rpm scythe sflex and/or 1200rpm scythe slipstreams as exhaust fans. Heres a new article about fans in general. Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup

Not sure what fans they ship with the CM but I usually toss out any stock case fan as i find them too loud. Sort of how I find antec tricools pretty useless but if you don't mind the noise they should be fine.

Last edited by CroSsFiRe2009; June 22, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Tags
advice , build , gaming build , new computer , q9550