Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd also suggest if your dead set on a "legit" copy of windows, you can pick up a copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade from MS' Ultimate Steal promo for $70 if you know a university student or are one. Then again, you might want to wait till Win7 comes out.
Old June 21, 2009, 06:22 PM
Rookie

Wow thanks for all the tips there guys, I will admit I'm intrigued about building my own system I have to research that and the process to it much more. For now I'm researching those different options put forward and am liking the idea of saving a few hundred dollars . I'm gonna see what's available for casing and the PSU first then track down a friend who knows a thing or two about computers.

I like the idea of a 750W PSU though just to cover future needs, the P5Q- pro sounds good but I couldn't find any reliable info on the P5Q vanilla. Is the pro that much better then the E?
Old June 21, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

P5Q vanilla is supose to be a decent overclocker, not to sure of the differences between it and the E though, I thought the E was the green power saver version but I could be wrong. As for OS just grab a copy of windows 7 RC and run it till june next year and then buy it then when it comes out for retail ;) RC = Legit and free. Pretty well all the P45 (P5Q series with Asus) are good overclocking motherboards.

Also when you buy a prebuilt it probubly comes with the stock heatsink which fails for overclocking, when you build yourself you can just grab a half decent cooler like the OCZ vendetta 2 or the Xigmatek HDT 1283 to give you lots of overclocking headroom.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 21, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you come over to the mainland I'll meet up with and help you out. You really got to build your own machine....

Or I could possibly go to Victoria for a little holiday...

Oh, and like Stoanee I made up a build....

Quote:
$115 P5Q-Pro (after $15 MIR)
$250 Q9550
$56 Gskill RAM (4 gigs)
$225 XFX Radeon 4890 1gb
$59 Seagate Barracuda 500gb drive
$60 Antec 300
$130 Vista Home Premium 64bit (or $140 Windows XP Pro)
$119 Corsair TX750W psu (after $11 MIR)
$60 Kaspersky Antivirus
$31 Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBS 22x with lightscribe

1131 before taxes and before getting rebates back.

135.72 in taxes.

1266.72 after tax.

1240.72 all said and done....
I like RealityShift's idea of running the RC of Win7 for now. That would save you some money for right now as well.

For about $30 more you could get the WD 640 Black like he suggested as well.

I noticed my build has the biggest PSU....

And I apologize in advance for liking the Antec 300 case It's not a big case and I think anything like water cooling will be difficult.

Last edited by Perineum; June 21, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old June 21, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Antec 300 isnt a bad case cooling wise but its getting dated, has pretty well no features and is kind of small, the CM 690 is like $20 more but is packed with features and throw in another fan or 2 and it cools like a champ.

The 640gb black HDD is pretty much the fastest 7200RPM hard drive on the market which is why you will notice it gets recommended ALOT, its a great hard drive for the price. As for the PSUs, I love my TX750, awesome power supply, tons of cable lenght, runs cool and quiet. Problem is with the 300 your going to have a metric TON of cables to deal with and no where to put them.

Hands down build your own rig, its really not that hard, only takes about an afternoon of work to get the parts in a maybe a day to get the os and everything set up, but atleast then you get full hardware warrantys plus you know whats in your PC and can easily pull out parts and replace parts on your own if you have any issues. You never know there may be a few HWCs near you (perineum ;) that might come out and give you a hand and maybe even take a few beers (ifin both parties are old enough) off your hands for you in the process =D

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 21, 2009, 11:10 PM
Rookie

Default Buy Online

Coming from someone who is building new after several years, I can tell you the overall price for performance is far better online via NCIX or NewEgg compared to that of Boomers, Sneakers, Gizmos, etc. Do some reading up and chat with the people here, and you'll have the best bang for your buck in no time. And as an added bonus, you get the enjoyable experience of putting together your own PC. Should you choose against that, NCIX will pre-assemble for you prior to shipping for an additional $50.00.
Old June 21, 2009, 11:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbird View Post
Coming from someone who is building new after several years, I can tell you the overall price for performance is far better online via NCIX or NewEgg compared to that of Boomers, Sneakers, Gizmos, etc. Do some reading up and chat with the people here, and you'll have the best bang for your buck in no time. And as an added bonus, you get the enjoyable experience of putting together your own PC. Should you choose against that, NCIX will pre-assemble for you prior to shipping for an additional $50.00.
Very well said.

The advantage of building your own rig is knowing the parts and where they go. Do not underestimate yourself because it is pretty basic building a rig.

If I were you I'd drop the anti-virus as using the freebies like AVG and AVIRA is potent enough IMHO. I'd also drop the OS and use Windows 7 for free until next year so you have more time to save when the OS is officially released.

Though Norton was known to be a very bad resource hog in the past, as per recent reviews it is one of the best AV at this time.

Old June 22, 2009, 02:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like I said before, if he's not feeling confident I'm sure we can get together and I'll help him build. I've done hundreds of machines by now....
Old June 22, 2009, 06:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Okay time for my Stab at this in another Direction lol!

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3 4DDR2 2PCI/3PCI-E X1/2PCI-EX16 SATA,RAID,1394,GBLAN ATX

Great AM3 Socket Board. I've had very good sucess with Gigabyte So far.

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Either this, or you can tighten your Budget to get the 810 instead (I currently Run one)

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) - 800MHz DDR2-800/PC2-6400 - DDR2 SDRAM - 240-pin DIMM

Tried and True Corsair, or grab from NCIX the G.Skill or Mushkin.

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : ASUS ATI RADEON HD 4870 512MB DDR5 2DVI-I HDTV HDCP PCIE2.0

Good Video Card, Really cool Non-Referance Cooler Attached.

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : Corsair 750 Watt Power Supply

Corsair PSU, Proven time and time again. Will give you enough Headroom for A second Graphics Solution if you want it.

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : Thermaltake Armor+ MX Black Steel Mid-Tower Case 230mm Fan VH8000BWS

One of my Own Personal Favorites for Cases.

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : WESTERN DIGITAL <font color=red>640GB</font> <b>Black Edition</b> SATA 3GB S DESKTOP STORAGE 7200RPM 32MB CACHE

WD Black 640GB HDD, which as you can see its already been suggested by others. Its a proven fast Hard Drive.

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : LG GH22LS30 SATA 22X/22X DVD-RW DRIVE, LIGHTSCRIBE, BLACK, INTERNAL, BULK

Standard Optical Drive.

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium w/SP1 - License and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-Bit English

Vista OS (or like stated, you can wait till Windows 7 Arrives).

That Brings you to $1317.96.

Saves you about 200 from your Posted Build, and is much Higher Quality IMO.

Good Luck,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 22, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Great build ST, and you can save some cash by not getting vista and sticking with the windows 7 RC for now, Personally I dont like the Armor MX case, there is a ton of very flimsy plastic on its front and top and $145 is a little much for a case of its calibre =( If your going to spend $145 go with a coolermaster storm sniper or a haf, youll get better cooling and IMHO better build quality.

Tags
advice , build , gaming build , new computer , q9550