Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2009, 12:25 AM
Rookie

Default i7 build

Hi guys, I need help building a gaming pc... preferable an i7 build, this computer is gonna be used for playing games such as WoW,CoD4,L4D,Cs and much more... i have a budget of $1400 Canadian Dollars and thats for the parts+shipping+tax.... this system is gonna be built ground up and i have no experiance putting together a computer, but i will learn by watching videos on youtube...i am going to be mostly ordering parts from Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada and www.newegg.caplease kindly post you suggestions and the links to the parts too pls..thankyou in advance
Old June 18, 2009, 01:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't priced out a i7 build before but I'm thinking you're going to be pretty tight on that budget.... I'm not entirely sure but I *think* I would stick with 775 just so I could sink more money into the PSU, video card and case.

I was half pricing it out and you're looking at $700* with taxes just to get the motherboard, cpu and ram.

*Maybe there are better deals out there I didn't look that hard. I only looked on NCIX.
Old June 18, 2009, 01:44 AM
Rookie

ahhh, l ll hang tight, if people wanna post their build suggestions. and if the budget is too low, l ll consider going with a 775...and has anybody ever bought an item from Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada ?
Old June 18, 2009, 02:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Those games you want to play don't look too over the top or anything. Go with at least a 8800GT/9800GT/GTS250. I would recommend the GTX275 and a good 600W PSU (or bigger) like the OCZ one that is on sale at NCIX.

Do you also need a monitor?
Old June 18, 2009, 02:16 AM
Rookie

nah, i have a 17" monitor that i am going to use for now.. and gonna upgrade it pretty soon
Old June 18, 2009, 08:04 AM
Top Prospect

I just made an i7 order from NCIX that came out to 1660$ after tax and shipping, but that had a blu ray drive in it and slightly more expensive ram, so it is feasible to make a build for around 1400$. You could also use a lower end case (mine was about 150$) and you'd definitely have a build for 1400$

I had in it
ASUS Rampage II Gene mobo
Core i7 920
EVGA GTX275
Corsair HX 620W PSU
640GB WD Caviar Black

like I said, case, ram and dvd drive can cost less for you if you want to make the 1400$ budget, maybe even a cheaper mobo if you're lucky. Don't give up on the i7 build.

Soon up and running:
Thunder
ASUS Rampage II Gene \\ Intel i7 920 \\ EVGA GTX 275 \\ Corsair 6GB 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 \\ WD Caviar Black 640GB \\ Blu Ray Drive \\ Corsair HX620W \\ NZXT Rogue
Old June 18, 2009, 10:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I think you can do i7 with your budget. Take a look at my build, but upgrade the power suplly to Tx750 and also upgrade the video card. Also use TRUE cpu cooler which will give you bewtter temp.
New lowest cost i7 built
The mother board is the budget board from Gigabyte, but their is nothing wrong with its performance, just missing a few goodies (take a look at the reviews). I am now doing overclocking at 3.8 GHz with 1.25 vcore. 4.0GHz and beyound is quite feasible if you use a TRUE cpu cooler. I am just being held back by the Vendetta2 cpu cooler, and I do not want to run it too hot.
Also, try and shop around for a D0 stepping of i7.
Old June 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for that guys, I'm not the OP but I haven't priced out a i7 system in some time now. Looks like with jak3 dude's build but with an Antec 300 case and a regular old dvdrw drive he'd make it. I knew it would be close but I didn't think he would make it. Guess I should have read more of the forums as Chris's thread would have told me so already
Old June 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
Rookie

Whats the difference between a D0 Stepping i7 920 and a regular i7 920 cpu? does it increase performance or something?
also i need suggestions on where to buy the parts.. was thinking of Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! or Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada
Old June 18, 2009, 12:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Newegg and DirectCanada are both pretty good. Newegg's warehouse is physically located in the United States though, so shipping might take a few days longer, and you have to pay both taxes no matter where you live in Canada.

D0 stepping is a newer revision, it runs cooler and on less voltage. It can also overclock significantly higher than the older version. (Old steppings may have trouble hitting 4Ghz+, whereas most D0s can hit 4.6Ghz)