2 x 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 OCZ RAM
8800 GTS nVidia 640MB
320GB Seagate 7200 RPM SATA HDD
750W brand new RocketFish Power Supply
5 Year old Falling apart Thermaltake case
PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
2 DVD DL SATA optical Drives
64 Bit OEM Windows Vista Business

Current computer issues, prior to computer moved into parent's basement, sound would stutter/skip whenever played through mobo's audio card or through sound cards. Even though OS recognizes 4 gigs of ram, both paging and mobo recognize only 3 gigs.

Tests performed and passed: MemTest86 and Prime95

I would like to spend as little as possible as everyone does, i've been thinking of potentially going with the Q9550 for the processor (its around 310$ Canadian), but don't know about the rest of the components that i may need to replace.

Processor: Intel Core I7 920 2.66GHz https://www.pcczone.com/intel-core-i...rocessors.html ($321.95)

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 3PCI-E SATA2 Sound GLAN 3-WAY CrossFireX SLI Motherboard http://www.directcanada.com/products...cture=GIGABYTE (around $260)

RAM: OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ustomerReviews ($99.99 excluding mail in rebate)

Graphics card : EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...VGA-_-14130434 ($209.99 excluding mail in rebate)

Power Supply: 750W Rocket Fish Power Supply got for 30$ (on staff) already owned

Hard Drive: Seagate 320GB 7200RPM already owned

Case: Antec 900 or Antec 300 (haven't decided yet) ($63.99 for Antec 300 or $109.98 for Antec 900)

i7 Total: $ 1000 (price is with Antec 900 and without rebates or Taxes)
Budget: Around $1000 preTaxes

I've heard i should still replace my power supply since it is rocketfish and got a good but not amazing review.

Extra Note: I will be taking several of the old fans from my old/falling apart Thermaltake Xavier V case and putting them into the new case, old system will most likely go to parents.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really would use the best PSU you can for a build like that. Both corsair and pc power and cooling offer decent psu's at ~$100.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to stay away from OCZ since either my mobo made my old power supply die or my old power supply slowly was causing problems with my mobo so anyone who suggests OCZ power supply i'm a little biased against them right now.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say get the Coolermaster 690 over both the Antec case
Old May 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I'm going to stay away from OCZ since either my mobo made my old power supply die or my old power supply slowly was causing problems with my mobo so anyone who suggests OCZ power supply i'm a little biased against them right now.
Just so you know, I don't think there has ever been a Case (SKYMTL correct me if I'm wrong) of a Mobo killing the PSU.

Any who, I am not the expert on i7 so I will let those owners chime in.
As for PSU's , Corsair, Antec , PC power and cooling would be really good choices.
For the price range.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 29, 2009, 09:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Just so you know, I don't think there has ever been a Case (SKYMTL correct me if I'm wrong) of a Mobo killing the PSU.

Any who, I am not the expert on i7 so I will let those owners chime in.
As for PSU's , Corsair, Antec , PC power and cooling would be really good choices.
For the price range.

Regards,
ST
Well i find it weird that my PSU would have just randomly died without showing any symptons, though the mobo problems could have originally stemmed from a dying PSU now that i think about it
Old May 29, 2009, 09:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well i find it weird that my PSU would have just randomly died without showing any symptons, though the mobo problems could have originally stemmed from a dying PSU now that i think about it

Alas there sometimes are no Symptoms of something Failing , Until it just well and truely Fails.
We had a Few GX270s at work, that Ran Perfect for the longest time.
Then One day, Poof, all the Caps had Burst, and 3 systems went down.
No Warning.
The key is, on what failed.
If its something minor at first, you might get warning like howling Caps etc, but if its a major Component, sometimes it just goes *pop*.

I'd help you on the i7 Build, but as I stated, I have no experience on them, so I'd be guessing.

Hopefully those who do own them or have built them can assist you.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 29, 2009, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Alas there sometimes are no Symptoms of something Failing , Until it just well and truely Fails.
We had a Few GX270s at work, that Ran Perfect for the longest time.
Then One day, Poof, all the Caps had Burst, and 3 systems went down.
No Warning.
The key is, on what failed.
If its something minor at first, you might get warning like howling Caps etc, but if its a major Component, sometimes it just goes *pop*.

I'd help you on the i7 Build, but as I stated, I have no experience on them, so I'd be guessing.

Hopefully those who do own them or have built them can assist you.

ST
Yeah i appreciate it, i dunno, it was funny, brought my pc home from school, hooked it up the way it used to be when home 2 summers ago and.... pc doesn't turn on, use back up PSU, it turns on, hook original PSU back up, still doesn't turn on. I decided then and there PSU was dead.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:20 AM
MVP

RocketFish Power Supply, I am not sure I would trust a $30 power supply. I may be wrong...but that is the one thing that could take out everything in your build..if...errr wait....when it dies.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old May 29, 2009, 10:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
RocketFish Power Supply, I am not sure I would trust a $30 power supply. I may be wrong...but that is the one thing that could take out everything in your build..if...errr wait....when it dies.
Its actually retail about 150$, its the fact i bought it on staff discount (when it still applied before i left there), just goes to show how much mark up is in those things

Rocketfish 700 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets