Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2009, 11:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

600W is pretty iffy. I'm doing 620W for an X2 card and I already think it's pushing it abit. Might want to go with 750W if you do Corsair (Corsair doesn't have 700W), and plan on going 2x260 SLI.

Old June 1, 2009, 11:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well i know OCZ makes a 700W
OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black - DirectCanada

Would that also be comparable/do the job or should i just stick with the corsair one?
Old June 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Might as well go modular and save money at the same time?
Canada Computers - Power Supplies > Modular Gaming PSUs : OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Power Supply (OCZ700MXSP).

OCZ make decent PSUs. I'd say they're not at Corsair's level, but they're not bad either.

Old June 1, 2009, 11:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well i find it weird that my PSU would have just randomly died without showing any symptons, though the mobo problems could have originally stemmed from a dying PSU now that i think about it
you may have done this but if it was dead right after a move I would check that:

1) the 110 / 220 switch at the back of the power supply didn't get moved to 220. depending on the power supply it will just act dead or power up quickly and shutdown.

2) a loose screw or other object, "cockroach" that ended up under the circuit board in the PSU and you just have a blown fuse.

Ive seen both happen a few times..
Old June 2, 2009, 06:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well i know OCZ makes a 700W
OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black - DirectCanada

Would that also be comparable/do the job or should i just stick with the corsair one?

I'd Stick to either the Corsair or A PC Power and Cooling Version.
Both are rockstable and reliable with clean power and high End Rails.
I believe the TX750 can handle 3 Way SLI as one of our Members here had that for Folding for a while.

That is my suggestion at least,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 2, 2009, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefox View Post
you may have done this but if it was dead right after a move I would check that:

1) the 110 / 220 switch at the back of the power supply didn't get moved to 220. depending on the power supply it will just act dead or power up quickly and shutdown.

2) a loose screw or other object, "cockroach" that ended up under the circuit board in the PSU and you just have a blown fuse.

Ive seen both happen a few times..
Oh i've done the first one before, but that was in high school years ago, made a pretty light show at the back of the PSU where the fan was, never done it with my own, especially since my ocz psu didn't have that switch. And it wasn't a blown fuse, i saw i'd say half the caps in their blown "i have crap on me and it aint dust" to which its already been sent to electronics heaven (aka electronics recycling depot).

I was trying to see if i could bring down the budget at all since right now i'm a tad over 1000$ but i guess i don't want to skimp on quality for some of the things i'm buying, here is my updated pricing (without the links since i haven't checked today's sales)
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 $325
Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P $259
RAM: 6GB DDR3 Tripple Channel $120
GPU: EVA GTX 260 Core 216 $225
PSU: Corsair TX750W $122
Case: Coolmasters CM 690 $92
Selling: 8800GTS 640MB for $65 tenatively
Rebates: $40
Total: $1038 (no taxes and tenatively going to be trying to price match through ncix).

I'm wondering if its worth it for the $50 assembly fee, i've assembled computers before though i'm rather bad at the air flow and would be nice to know all my components have been tested, last time i ordered ram both were bad:

Save time and money by letting one of our experts assemble and test your new custom PC. Choose from a wide range of components without having to worry about the headaches of troubleshooting incompatible hardware. We will install the Windows® operating system of your choice(if purchased in the same order) and all necessary drivers, as well as perform a complete compatibility check. Before shipping, your system will be given a final inspection including cable optimization to ensure proper airflow and safety during shipping. Add Item Description
In Stock
Part #
Price
PC Assembly and Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG OS If Purchased)

Last edited by Arinoth; June 2, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old June 25, 2009, 01:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, so I've had this build up and running for a while now, since i can't remember warranty policies, whom do i have to register to get them, and which ones do i just need the box for?