Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2009, 11:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Vancouver. Ahhhhhh... smell that clean B.C. air in your nostrils, full of fresh gun powder from the morning's gang shootings. Not another place in the world like it. Mmmm, mmmm, it's good!
Seriously? That bad out in BC?
Old May 30, 2009, 12:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Bah, you wish. Yeah, here in Vancouver there's some gang stuff, there's some shootings, but not a whole lot, it's not like Crackdown or anything =D

Besides, it's not like there's nightly raids on random people's houses by gangs, or crackheads, or hobos, or crackhead gang hobos or anything. So long as you lock up your house at night and maybe an alarm system you'll be a'ight.

Kind of OT now.

The best way to secure your comp would be definitely to bolt it to the floor, and then do that cable thing as you said. Or put it in a locked cabinet. Software won't do jack once some a-hole manages to get in your case with nothing but a screwdriver. God forbid you have a case like the Cosmos S with a handy little latch to open the side panel!
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old May 30, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this is why i moved out of t.o in orillia all you need is a big dog. people of Orillia are not too bright. did not think van had gotten that bad
Old May 30, 2009, 09:31 AM
Allstar

A big city is a big city... Not like it's a surprise or anything. At least you don't have to worry about the mosquitoes carrying it off.
Old May 30, 2009, 05:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

lol, i dont think anyone here even has a set of keys for the house (lost all of them)... can leave for a week without locking the front door here. and sometimes we leave the front door wide open during the day while at work. :P

Old June 2, 2009, 04:42 PM
Top Prospect

Thx for the feedback all.
I really like the idea of bolting it to the floor, unfortunately I rent ATM.

I want to build a stand to place the computer on to get it up off the floor and bolt it to, but unless I find something of thick metal to build from (ie: Ikea hack DIY) it'll probably be MDF which doesn't really help any.

I'm also considering a double U-Lock set up. One through the case (keeps it closed, and creates and anchor), then one through the desk and the first U-Lock.

I'm doing this with two workstations/two desks, one wood, one metal.
The metal desks metal is only so thick, so I figure if I install a U-Bolt for the U-Lock to anchor too I'll reinforce the setup with a metal plat on either side of the desks panel (where the U-Bolt goes through).

The wood desk will require a more creative solution.
Perhaps the same metal plates combined with a piece or two of rebar.

As for do I need all this, is Vancouver that bad..
No I don't need all of this, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
It's not that bad where I live. If there were ever a B&E it'd be a grab and dash of whatever isn't bolted down/the easy stuff. This way I keep the bolted down stuff and my other electronics I'm not really concerned about.
Old June 2, 2009, 04:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just have a Webam pointed at your computer with the cable seemingly going into the wall and have a very professional sign below saying "Smile, you're on camera"

Tags
anti-theft , computer , lock , security