Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20, 2009, 08:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default NEw Computer

hello guys. im building a computer today from DigitalStorm containg the following : RATE IT PLEASE:help: and please give suggestions

Silverstone Raven Full tower case

GTX 285 SLI (2-way) Factory overclocked to as high as possible with complete stability

Core i7 920 cooled by water cooling and overclocked to 3.8

Corsair Dominator 1600mhz with cooling fan

Killer Zeno Network Card

EVGA Classified motherboard

1000 Watt Corsais PSU
Old May 20, 2009, 08:16 AM
Rookie

Scrap the killer network card, not worth it at all. Just use the network card in the mobo or order an Intel NIC for ~$30. Secondly, build the computer yourself, you'll save some money.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like a good build, though I'd also recommend doing it yourself and dropping the Killer NIC.

Also, are you sure you need SLI? Unless you have like a 30" LCD running 2560x1600, I don't think you really do. And well I doubt you need the EVGA Classified board either since you don't appear to really be an enthusiast so all the features of it are useless to you. So you could save like $500 or so by changing those things.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

Killer Xeno....

NCIX FORUMS - Just Got mine. - EVGA Killer Xeno Pro Gigabit Network Int...

Really, to throw 170$ for a NIC... use that money for something else. There won't ever be a card that "helps FPS" in games... I mean, yes you will have a better connection and faster ping (25ms instead of 27ms...) but the whole better FPS thingy is only if you lag like crazy...

Don't waste your money on that, seriously.

I would also agree on the Classified Board... unless you are really and Extreme Overclocker and also if you actually do SLI... You can keep the X58 and the same company.

NCIX.com - Buy EVGA X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCIE-16 PCI-E1 2PCI SLI SATA2 Sound Dual GBLAN 1394 Motherboard - 132-BL-E758-TR In Canada.

You save 200$ right there, + 170$ for the card, that leaves you with 370$ in your pocket.

For the video card, I would suggest the GTX 275. In my own opinion is worth the money. If you don't run a high resolution, that would be perfect. Also, if SKYMTL could release his GTX275 FTW review... that would be even more interresing.

Great build though!
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX

Last edited by Chos3n; May 20, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've yet to see watercooling in the Raven case. I think it would look a lot better. However, I wouldn't even bother with getting the highest factory overclocked cards. I actually just bought a vanilla GTX 275, but by luck of the draw I ended up with a SC version out of the box. I would actually just buy the stock ones and then you overclock them. What's the fun without it?

The Raven is a unique choice. It's up to you (your tastes).
SLI GTX 285's are good only if you have a monitor to use their resources. Look for a 24" or bigger monitor.
i7 920 is a great chip.
Good choice on RAM, assuming you have no limit on cash.
The Killer Zeno Network Card is A WASTE!!! Do not buy that. Get a decent Intel Gigabit Card and that's all. It may not look as classy, but it performs equally for much less money.
Good choice of motherboard, again, if you want the looks and you have the cash. The original EVGA X58 is more than adequate.
Excellent PSU. Good choice on your part for your powerful hardware.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Excellent Build indeed!
Great Case - Silverstone are top notch will provide adequate air flow for those GPU's as well as plenty of room....to build it yourself, c'mon, its pretty much "plug n play" these days and you'll "know" your Rig inside n out!
Stick to your choice of 285's in SLI, at this point why settle for 275's???
Stick to your FTW / SSC versions of your Cards if you want "guarenteed" OC'ing Cards....thier are many whom simply do not have the OC'ing headroom on vanilla Cards, purchasing them is a gamble for OC'ing!
Stick to your Classified Board......yes, its an enthusiasts Board for built for "extreme OC'ing", but it also is a sexy n great looking Board and really, thier is nothing "mild" about a 3.8 Ghz OC.

Drop the Network Card
If your paying extra for the RAM Cooler Fan...you really don't need it at all...Doms running at 1612 Mhz do not get overly hot. If your looking for a 3.8 OC with Doms performing at Max, you'll be looking at a Bclk 202Mhz x 19 Divider Memory at 2:8..very nice 24/7 OC

Have fun with it!!....and put it together yourself...tons of us here to assist if you have questions!

Old May 20, 2009, 09:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Gonna Echo everyone elses sentiments here.

Scrap the Network Card,
If you want to throw money away for a Higher Speed, then Get T1 Dedicated.

I think the GTX275's in SLI would be more than enough for you, then again I don't know what you are gaming on.

Don't bother with the LC on the Raven, get a TRUE and let the Case Design (its made for Aircooling) take care of the rest.

I've never used either i7 board, so I'll just let that suggestion rest on the hands of the other members here.

The corsair PSU is perfect for your needs.

Good Luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 20, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Your getting digital storms to build this for you? meaning your just buying it totaly premade? thats going to be EXPENSIVE vs building it yourself, Why not price out those parts at the etailers and see what you can come up with yourself first?

Not even installing anything bigger then the 500gb hard drive, and going with the bare stuff you listed im seeing this build as $3340, WITHOUT WATERCOOLING! that is WAY to much for this build....

Create Your Dream PC

The rest of the people who posted here should take a look at thier builder, its the same as alienware, over priced enthusiast class premades. They do have some nice water cooling setups and do a nice job on custom cases but not nearly worth spending that much to get them.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.

Last edited by Realityshift; May 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Not sure about your level of tech expertise so I cannot comment on you building it yourself. Try seeing if a local store will put one together, or some other service. There are folks on here that might even do a high-end build for you for cheap. Where are you located?

BTW that network card is a total waste of money. As others have said, if you really want a network card outside of integrated, go with Intel.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 20, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Not sure about your level of tech expertise so I cannot comment on you building it yourself. Try seeing if a local store will put one together, or some other service. There are folks on here that might even do a high-end build for you for cheap. Where are you located?
+1 Chris.....any reputable PC Shop should be able to do a nice assembly and OS installation for you for no more than about $250....not sure about WC though but likely a few more hours alright (no experience their)....
Pre-arrange it with some local Shop and drop off all of your components after they arrive.