Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Most of the 20-22" monitors on the market now have great color reproduction, its grey scale performance thats a bit lacking.. And even that is minimal and hard to notice.

The reason they dont run 22" monitors @ 1920x1200 is because of exactly what you pointed out, people wouldnt be able to see the icons/text yata yata yata... The 22" 1920x1080 monitor isnt just a 1650x1080 monitor its a completely different sized monitor that runs in a different resolution set completely. Instead of being a differently scaled 22" its a 21.5" that has a physically longer visable frame ;)
1920x1200 is perfectly doable on a 1680x1050 22". Both resolutions are 16:10. And readability wise, it would be no different than these 1080p 21.5" LCDs. Only reason they are physically wider is that it's running a 16:9 resolution.

Colour wise, don't forget gradients. Those normally do very poorly on these TN LCDs.

I must say though, buying the Spyder2Express was definitely worthwhile. Makes my monitor colours 30x better and as close as possible to being true colours (without spending a fortune).
Old May 20, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

+1 I agree the spyders are great but can get expensive =( There was on at london drugs about 3 months back in the clearance bin for $45... and I didnt buy it, now im still kicking myself.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:22 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
1920x1200 is perfectly doable on a 1680x1050 22". Both resolutions are 16:10. And readability wise, it would be no different than these 1080p 21.5" LCDs. Only reason they are physically wider is that it's running a 16:9 resolution.

Colour wise, don't forget gradients. Those normally do very poorly on these TN LCDs.

I must say though, buying the Spyder2Express was definitely worthwhile. Makes my monitor colours 30x better and as close as possible to being true colours (without spending a fortune).
Quote:
+1 I agree the spyders are great but can get expensive =( There was on at london drugs about 3 months back in the clearance bin for $45... and I didnt buy it, now im still kicking myself.
Well I'll definitely keep track of those two monitors, but I'm leaning towards that 1680x1050 Acer I showed you guys as I guess it may be better.

If I may ask.. what is the Spyder2Express? :/

Also, Jd, I love your bluntness. You're right though that my CRT is absolute trash. Stuff is imprinting on the screen now, so I feel my screen is finally starting to die, which is amazing considering how long it's on for/how long I've had it. I'll definitely need to upgrade this really soon. No way I'm hooking a new, freshly built PC to this pile of crap. D: I'd feel bad for getting the new PC dirty. Ew.

So basically, if I had the extra cash, I wouldn't mind getting a HAF922, but as it stands, I may go with the CM690. Not 100% sure just yet.

Also, what does TN LCD mean? I know the LCD part, but TN?
Old May 20, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

TN is Twisted nemantic type LCD panels, the actual viewable panel of the monitor, TN is pretty much bottom rung in the monitor world, with S-IPS, Super In-Plane Switching, being top rung. an S-IPS monitor is VERY expensive vs a TN monitor though as pretty well any monitor you have listed is TN. The difference is the amount of colors the monitor can show and the response times, a TN monitor can show around 260,000 while the S-IPS can display over 16 million.

For what your doing you wont overly notice the difference between a TN and an S-IPS monitor but the price is what would kill you.

The spyder2Express is a hardware image calibrator, it calibrates the colors on screen to be as acurate as possible. They can run up into the hundreds of dollars though.

Another thing S-IPS has over TN is viewing angel, youll notice with most LCDs the more you scew your head left to right across the outer boarders of the monitor the more colors change from one hue to another, this isnt to much of an issue with a computer monitor as you should be looking at it dead on.

Since your not overclocking, drop the aftermarket cooler and spend that extra money on a better case ;) youll get better cooling and a nicer case while not sacrificing anything. Better case means better cooling across the board instead of just the CPU, will cool your motherboard, ram and video card as well as optical drives and hard drives better. The CM-690 with atleast 2 extra fans cools great, but with the fans in the new haf 922, im guessing it will have some awesome cooling.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:34 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
TN is Twisted nemantic type LCD panels, the actual viewable panel of the monitor, TN is pretty much bottom rung in the monitor world, with S-IPS, Super In-Plane Switching, being top rung. an S-IPS monitor is VERY expensive vs a TN monitor though as pretty well any monitor you have listed is TN. The difference is the amount of colors the monitor can show and the response times, a TN monitor can show around 260,000 while the S-IPS can display over 16 million.

For what your doing you wont overly notice the difference between a TN and an S-IPS monitor but the price is what would kill you.

The spyder2Express is a hardware image calibrator, it calibrates the colors on screen to be as acurate as possible. They can run up into the hundreds of dollars though.

Another thing S-IPS has over TN is viewing angel, youll notice with most LCDs the more you scew your head left to right across the outer boarders of the monitor the more colors change from one hue to another, this isnt to much of an issue with a computer monitor as you should be looking at it dead on.

Since your not overclocking, drop the aftermarket cooler and spend that extra money on a better case ;) youll get better cooling and a nicer case while not sacrificing anything. Better case means better cooling across the board instead of just the CPU, will cool your motherboard, ram and video card as well as optical drives and hard drives better. The CM-690 with atleast 2 extra fans cools great, but with the fans in the new haf 922, im guessing it will have some awesome cooling.
Ah wow. See.. I never heard of any of that stuff before. Shows how much I know, huh? Also shows I've been using a fat-backed CRT for far too long. God I can't wait to get a new Monitor.

The Spyder2Express seems super awesome, but I guess for that price, it's understandable.

As far as the aftermarket cooler goes, it was just an idea I had honestly. I never had it on my list of parts to buy out of the gate though. Basically, I guess I'll be dropping the Antec 300 and checking out the CM690 or HAF922. At the moment, newegg is missing a couple parts I want, and then the cases don't have free shipping, so that's a big hit too, so it'll be a little while until I go through with my purchases. Also, I think the CM690 had three fans? Or was it just two? I guess I could go look myself, Haha. Thanks for the super quick reply. I'm trying to think if there's anything else I need to ask while I'm here. Would hate for a topic to go to waste, you know?
Old May 21, 2009, 08:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumara View Post
Also, Jd, I love your bluntness.
lol, I don't see a point to sugar coat things

Quote:
Well the Spyder2Express is the lowest end and oldest model. It's no good for glossy or LED backlit LCDs, but it's cheap (retail $79) and my LCD is the classic matte finish and CCFL backlights so it works perfect. The Spyder3Pro retails at $169 but it supports LED and glossy screens along with being more accurate and providing more options.

Still, if you do a project for a company, you could take the money you made and buy one since it's not THAT expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumara View Post
As far as the aftermarket cooler goes, it was just an idea I had honestly. I never had it on my list of parts to buy out of the gate though. Basically, I guess I'll be dropping the Antec 300 and checking out the CM690 or HAF922. At the moment, newegg is missing a couple parts I want, and then the cases don't have free shipping, so that's a big hit too, so it'll be a little while until I go through with my purchases. Also, I think the CM690 had three fans? Or was it just two? I guess I could go look myself, Haha. Thanks for the super quick reply. I'm trying to think if there's anything else I need to ask while I'm here. Would hate for a topic to go to waste, you know?
You have any local stores you could buy the case at? Might end up cheaper since you wouldn't pay shipping.

And personally I don't like the stock 120mm Coolermaster fans that come with their cases. I'd definitely buy some Scythes or Yates.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I couldnt find any yates on newegg, and scythes are much to expensive for this build, im running the CM fans right now, finally got my rig back up and running and I cant hear the CM stock fans, I sure as heck can hear my aerocool 89cfm fan though. IF you can find yateloons jump on them, their cheap, provide awesome air flow, and are quiet. Other wise the Coolermaster fans work great.

Also if your doing much 2d design work you should check out the wacom bamboo line of tablets, I got one for myself, didnt have the cash for a graphire =( but the bamboo works great, I think it cost me $79 on sale because I didnt want the one with the lame mouse. Makes a big difference when working with fine edits compared to using a mouse thats for sure. Something to think about for down the road ;)

I thought there was alot more selection for this kind of stuff in the states, maybe im wrong =(, up here we have atleast 2 companies that stock pretty well everything most builders need and offer freeshipping on anything over $300-$500, makes budgets alot easier to stick too.

Old May 21, 2009, 12:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I couldnt find any yates on newegg, and scythes are much to expensive for this build, im running the CM fans right now, finally got my rig back up and running and I cant hear the CM stock fans, I sure as heck can hear my aerocool 89cfm fan though. IF you can find yateloons jump on them, their cheap, provide awesome air flow, and are quiet. Other wise the Coolermaster fans work great.
The stock CM fans are quiet but I don't find they move much air, especially if there's any restriction.

Newegg has some Blue LED "Yates": Newegg.com - IPCQUEEN IPC-12025LED-BL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans Note the sticker on the backside. Based on that and the wiring setup typical of Yates, I'd take a guess and say this is a Yate too: Newegg.com - IPCQUEEN IPC-12025 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans, though it's a 2000RPM model so it's probably on a noisy side.

Last edited by JD; May 21, 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Its a 1200 39cfm fan =) 19db, click specifications on the page you linked, good fans though, really quiet.

Old May 21, 2009, 03:44 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
You have any local stores you could buy the case at? Might end up cheaper since you wouldn't pay shipping.

And personally I don't like the stock 120mm Coolermaster fans that come with their cases. I'd definitely buy some Scythes or Yates.
I don't have any local stores around with those kind of cases around, no. Sadly. =[

I know there are some Scythes on newegg, and I looked at the fans you linked. I like em and it's not like I require LED, so maybe fans will be easy to find/install.

Quote:

Also if your doing much 2d design work you should check out the wacom bamboo line of tablets, I got one for myself, didnt have the cash for a graphire =( but the bamboo works great, I think it cost me $79 on sale because I didnt want the one with the lame mouse. Makes a big difference when working with fine edits compared to using a mouse thats for sure. Something to think about for down the road ;)

I thought there was alot more selection for this kind of stuff in the states, maybe im wrong =(, up here we have atleast 2 companies that stock pretty well everything most builders need and offer freeshipping on anything over $300-$500, makes budgets alot easier to stick too.
I'll definitely think about the bamboo line of tablets. Something to look into for sure later on down the road when I have more cash to work with. Either way, yeah.. it stinks that the case doesn't have free shipping. Everything else I picked out seemed to, though.

Quote:
The stock CM fans are quiet but I don't find they move much air, especially if there's any restriction.

Newegg has some Blue LED "Yates": Newegg.com - IPCQUEEN IPC-12025LED-BL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans Note the sticker on the backside. Based on that and the wiring setup typical of Yates, I'd take a guess and say this is a Yate too: Newegg.com - IPCQUEEN IPC-12025 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans, though it's a 1800RPM model so it's probably on a noisy side.
Yeah, I checked out those fans. I like the white LED kind, though as I mentioned, I don't absolutely need the LED or anything.