Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Quote about monitor
Okay. I won't quote you guys this time because I'd hate for half the page to consist of quotes, Haha.

Anyway, as far as the monitor issue goes, I think I understand now. Heck, I have a 32" Samsung HDTV, but it's only 720p. D: Maybe With what I use, anything that's bigger will be a huge improvement for me honestly. Doing work on this POS is just so hard. I honestly don't mind going for 16:10 and what not. It won't kill me. It'd be a fantastic upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

As for fans...

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-12AK-GP 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Neon LED TLF-S12-EB 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Acer H233Hbmid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 (ACM) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

UHG longest post EVER! I dont recommend quoting directly off this post...
So you think it'd be a waste to go from this 15.4" CRT DELL Monitor to that Acer 22" I linked? D:

Those are nice cases and all, and I'll keep them in mind for sure, but when you say the build quality is horrible, why would it be referred as a good case for budget builders elsewhere? I mean.. it's not like it'd just fall apart right? I understand you get what you pay for though. I wishlisted all of those cases. Maybe I'll see a special deal on them.

Also, as far as the CM690, from what I read and heard, it's a little difficult to get the front of the case off for mounting the drives. Is that true?

The fans are nice. Nice a cheap. Could get a couple in a pair if I absolutely needed them.

Could you link me to the resources online that you're talking about? That would be a good read for me and would help me understand it further for sure.

Oh, I understand. Yeah, if I don't need a cooler, I definitely wouldn't get one, but I'd like to have that backup just in case. I'll keep some money on the side, and if I need one, I'll snag it off of newegg.

Yeah, that monitor is a tad pricey for what I'd want to spend right now for sure. D: A shame though, because it's gorgeous.

As far as reviews, yeah, I guess I just worry way too much because I don't trust my own knowledge on things. Since I've never ordered my own parts or anything before, I worry about "Oh no, will this fit in the case? Will this work properly with the other gear? Oh god, what do I do now?!" so yeah. Haha. I'm a worry wart.

I read the review you linked me to. That's some good stuff. I'll keep that kind of RAM in mind for sure. Lifetime warranties are always nice.

I also read the reviews on the monitor and the case. Not bad. I like reading what other people think about stuff.

Wishlisted the thermal compound. I'll definitely keep an eye out on it for a just in case situation.

I do use Photoshop actually, along with AutoCAD as I mentioned, and a ton of graphic 3D Designing programs. The space I currently have is absolutely horrible to work with, and makes my job so much harder. I've done designs for a couple places in New York, along with some in Sacramento where my Dad actually works. Sometimes I have to go into the office to use the stuff there because this just can't handle it anymore. I'd certainly love to have more space though...

And I understand what you mean about a big cooler. I have a friend who ordered a computer from pcpower or whatever that site is called where you build your own within the site and then they build it + send it to you? He said the cooler he went with was huge. I don't want something that would cover up too many things on the Mobo, but I've never dealt with coolers, so I don't know much about that.

I didn't quote your entire post, just the parts with links and such. xD You've been great Reality, I appreciate it.

Quote:
As per case choices, the only thing that's comparable price wise is the RC-590 to the Antec 300. And it's probably a bit better space wise, but at the same time taking up more floor/desk space. Not sure why you keep saying the build quality is poor, Antec cases are solid. Sure it might have bad cable management but it's not like the case is going to bend/break, not fit anything properly, or cut your hands up like those no-name cases.

I still really hate that LCD manufactures have to promote this HD bullshit so much though. I much rather 16:10 monitors over 16:9. But with 16:9 they can say 1080p which means increased sales from all the idiots out there thinking they NEED a 1080p monitor to watch anything-HD.
I do actually do a lot of design stuff. It's just hard to do on this PC at the moment.

I do hate it too how people advertise things sometimes. They try to trick you by splashing one name on there when it's really just a remodel of another, or something totally different. Honestly? I don't need the super HD for a monitor as I have one behind me as a TV, but a nice monitor on my desk would certainly be nice.

And yeah, hearing this talk about how Antec 300 is a bad case build, and other stuff, it just makes me so confused as to what case to work toward. D:

Anyway, thanks to you Jd for your insight as well. This thread has had much more success than I thought it would!

-----

Ack, Reality. You got a post in before I got mine in! Haha.

I understand what you mean about the monitors. See? This is the type of stuff I can't get from just reading Monitor reviews on Newegg or Dell.com. I've been working on an 1152x854 service for so darn long, I don't even know what a great resolution/monitor would look like, and I'd probably faint when I hooked it up. Heck, this monitor I'm on now is actually fading some where the Star Menu and taskbar are right now. It's bleeding into the actual screen. I've had this screen for almost EIGHT years. :/ Anyway, I think I get what you mean about a 22" Monitor possibly being a 21.5" monitor and all of that. It's just funds is an issue. Getting a 140$ USD Monitor or more may be a tight squeeze for me which is why I may have to wait a month after I actually build my machine.

I understand what you mean about the Antec 300 I suppose, but the one video I watched on youtube, they showed that there's a nice little spot on the side of the case where you can store at least some of the cables. I don't know though as it was only one review. That and they probably get something out of advertising it..

Tooless designs are nice, but the one downside to the 690 I heard was the crappy plastic, and the front panel being hard to pull off so you can put the optical drives in. That worries me. I always get scared when I have to pull on something too hard. I'd hate to break it.

Last edited by Katsumara; May 19, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I know, higher resolution is helpful with design stuff but I don't think he's doing that. And even still 1680x1050 is fine for showing 2 A4 documents side-by-side.

IMO 22" @ 1920x1080, the resolution is too high for such a tiny screen. I think it would make text harder to read.

I think it's best that the OP goes to Best Buy or whatever, and look at a 1680x1050 22" and a 1920x1080 22". He can decide from that.

And for running a lower resolution than native, there is a definite loss in image quality. You'd have to be partially blind not to see it. Everything just gets blurry/hazy and it's no longer crisp and sharp.

As per case choices, the only thing that's comparable price wise is the RC-590 to the Antec 300. And it's probably a bit better space wise, but at the same time taking up more floor/desk space. Not sure why you keep saying the build quality is poor, Antec cases are solid. Sure it might have bad cable management but it's not like the case is going to bend/break, not fit anything properly, or cut your hands up like those no-name cases.

I still really hate that LCD manufactures have to promote this HD bullshit so much though. I much rather 16:10 monitors over 16:9. But with 16:9 they can say 1080p which means increased sales from all the idiots out there thinking they NEED a 1080p monitor to watch anything-HD.
I got the Antec 300 and I cut my hand in it, it's so cramp inside, no place to work with. The side panels are so flimsy too. I won't recommended that case over CM 690 even if it cheaper.
Old May 19, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Read my post above about my feelings on the monitors, the monitor you originally linked, the dell one thats 1920x1080 would be perfect for the money I think, if you cant spend the extra on the 23" acer the 22" dell would be WAY nicer to work on then that CRT you have, I know what its like going from a 17" CRT monitor to my 20" wide, made my design work worlds easier. I REALLY think you would be better off with the monitor you chose then spending more to get the one JD posted because with your option you get more available space to work with for less money. And no certainly it would NOT be a waste to go from your monitor to the one you pointed out, you will absolutely LOVE the change.

Now like I said build quality to me is more then just materials used and quality of the work, its planning and design as well. The 300 is like most antec cases, pretty well put together. but the design behind is is horrible, theres no where to put the cables, theres no tooless options, Its as plain on the inside as you can get. Personally Id rather have a well though out case to work with.

Heres some explanation on ram timings and how to set them up in bios on gigabyte boards, its the P45 chipset but it should be pretty similar to what your working with.

Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS - TweakTown Forums

Problem with Etailer reviews, alot of the times only people who have had a problem will post, not people who have expert opinions, so you get alot of bias opinions. What your doing now by getting as many opinions on your parts is the best way to acurately find out whats right for you and get the most information possible on your build. Ive been building computers for years but I still posted my last build in here to get other peoples ideas on it because I was planning on going SLI and had no experience with SLIing the video card I was using nor any experience with the chipsets.

EDIT: I just noticed the difference between the 590 and the 300 is $5 USD.... For that price you get a case that pretty much looks the same, but comes with much better features, and since the 690 and 590 side panels are the same I can say they arent flimsy.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:01 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Read my post above about my feelings on the monitors, the monitor you originally linked, the dell one thats 1920x1080 would be perfect for the money I think, if you cant spend the extra on the 23" acer the 22" dell would be WAY nicer to work on then that CRT you have, I know what its like going from a 17" CRT monitor to my 20" wide, made my design work worlds easier. I REALLY think you would be better off with the monitor you chose then spending more to get the one JD posted because with your option you get more available space to work with for less money. And no certainly it would NOT be a waste to go from your monitor to the one you pointed out, you will absolutely LOVE the change.

Now like I said build quality to me is more then just materials used and quality of the work, its planning and design as well. The 300 is like most antec cases, pretty well put together. but the design behind is is horrible, theres no where to put the cables, theres no tooless options, Its as plain on the inside as you can get. Personally Id rather have a well though out case to work with.

Heres some explanation on ram timings and how to set them up in bios on gigabyte boards, its the P45 chipset but it should be pretty similar to what your working with.

Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS - TweakTown Forums

Problem with Etailer reviews, alot of the times only people who have had a problem will post, not people who have expert opinions, so you get alot of bias opinions. What your doing now by getting as many opinions on your parts is the best way to acurately find out whats right for you and get the most information possible on your build. Ive been building computers for years but I still posted my last build in here to get other peoples ideas on it because I was planning on going SLI and had no experience with SLIing the video card I was using nor any experience with the chipsets.

EDIT: I just noticed the difference between the 590 and the 300 is $5 USD.... For that price you get a case that pretty much looks the same, but comes with much better features, and since the 690 and 590 side panels are the same I can say they arent flimsy.
Ya. I read what you said above. What about the other monitor I pointed out? That 22" Acer 1680x1050 (I always get confused and want to say 1650x1080...) Monitor? -- Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors -- That's okay too, right? Both are the same pricing right now, actually. That HD Dell was just on a special deal, just like this Acer is on Newegg right now. I'd be going up 6+ inches between monitors and much wider though, that's for sure.

I understand I suppose. I guess you just get what you pay for. Maybe Antec 300's are good for the uber cheap builds, but my build isn't super cheap? Maybe it's like.. middle tier in terms of builds? I don't know how I'd define it. I'd like to say I'm ahead of things at least a little bit. I'd hate to get this PC and it only last like.. a year. I'll definitely keep the Cooler Master cases in mind though. I'm just a little more confused now about what's good. D: You understand I'm sure.

Thank you so much for the ram timing link. I'll get to reading that here soon. I favorited it. I'm just looking at other stuff on Newegg and around elsewhere for different reviews. I like getting an assortment of reviews/views on things before I plow through and purchase them. I don't have the kind of money that I can blow right now. I'm on limited funds. Economy here sucks.

Only five dollars between the 300 and 590? Not bad, that's for sure. I don't know which I'll choose now. I hate tough decisions. =[
Old May 19, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah your build is about a mid ranged build, its deffinetly not bottom rung.

That monitor would be fine but id go for the dell you posted earlier if its the same price or close. But I dont mind acer montiors at all, their cheap but they work well.

Honestly if I where you id splurge on the CM-690, its a great case, the plastic on the front is not weak... trust me ive had the front of so many times now... all you need to do is take it off once, pull out all the stupid metal deviders they put infront of all the optical bays, you just twist them and they snap out. the optical bay covers pop out really easily they just have a tab at either side you push in. The front isnt hard at all to pull off, the top is a little tougher and just takes coordination. For the front you just tip the case back a bit so you can get your hand under the botton of the front pannel and pull on it, it pops off really easily and you just keep pulling it to pull it right out, I have done this many times and reefed pretty hard on it a few times and have never felt it even starting to break. its easiest to put lift the case up and put something under the front side, then you dont have to do anything but grab the bottom of the front panel and pull.

I always heard the exact opposite when reading up on the 690, the plastic was said to be of great quality and the front panel comes off easy. Right now I have mine all painted and I have every fan mount full plus extra fans just sitting inside the case, mostly because I was running SLI, but with the 3 fans that came with it and 2 extras the cooling was awesome, if you put a fan in the bottom spot and 1 in the top and get that bottom to top circulation it helps alot. Also the 690 and 590s come with dust filters on most of the fans =)

I know making decisions on parts is TOUGH especially when you have limited funds to build with, I would have loved to have had an extra $500 at the time I built my pc, but for what I paid I am extremely happy with it. With what your going from and what your building here I can honestly say you will LOVE that computer. I really feel for you, autocad and even photoshop must just be a nightmare on that p4, its so different going from that to almost real time again, renders are going to be MUCH faster =)

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:58 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Yeah your build is about a mid ranged build, its deffinetly not bottom rung.

That monitor would be fine but id go for the dell you posted earlier if its the same price or close. But I dont mind acer montiors at all, their cheap but they work well.

Honestly if I where you id splurge on the CM-690, its a great case, the plastic on the front is not weak... trust me ive had the front of so many times now... all you need to do is take it off once, pull out all the stupid metal deviders they put infront of all the optical bays, you just twist them and they snap out. the optical bay covers pop out really easily they just have a tab at either side you push in. The front isnt hard at all to pull off, the top is a little tougher and just takes coordination. For the front you just tip the case back a bit so you can get your hand under the botton of the front pannel and pull on it, it pops off really easily and you just keep pulling it to pull it right out, I have done this many times and reefed pretty hard on it a few times and have never felt it even starting to break. its easiest to put lift the case up and put something under the front side, then you dont have to do anything but grab the bottom of the front panel and pull.

I always heard the exact opposite when reading up on the 690, the plastic was said to be of great quality and the front panel comes off easy. Right now I have mine all painted and I have every fan mount full plus extra fans just sitting inside the case, mostly because I was running SLI, but with the 3 fans that came with it and 2 extras the cooling was awesome, if you put a fan in the bottom spot and 1 in the top and get that bottom to top circulation it helps alot. Also the 690 and 590s come with dust filters on most of the fans =)

I know making decisions on parts is TOUGH especially when you have limited funds to build with, I would have loved to have had an extra $500 at the time I built my pc, but for what I paid I am extremely happy with it. With what your going from and what your building here I can honestly say you will LOVE that computer. I really feel for you, autocad and even photoshop must just be a nightmare on that p4, its so different going from that to almost real time again, renders are going to be MUCH faster =)
Yeah. Don't get me wrong. I do work (probably 8 hours a day on various projects, though that could be contributed to how long stuff takes to load..), but I've been a gamer of sorts before. I played a lot of Soldier of Fortune 2, Quake 3, Battlefield 2, etc back in the day when I actually could handle that sort of stuff. As of late, my computer has been so bad, I couldn't do anything BUT work. Know what I mean? Heck, one problem with my loudness has got to do with like.. just the fans on the inside. They make a loud, almost rattling-like sound, so it's hard to drown out. I have to leave Foobar2000 (Music player) on constantly along with the TV so I don't hear it. It's *that* bad. I'm happy to know that I won't be at the bottom tier of computers though.

I'll definitely keep track of both monitors. I love them both, really.

I dunno. Antec 300, the CM 690/590, or maybe even wait for that new HAF922 or whatever case that's coming out soon? I could hold out until that comes out and see how it's reviewed as well. It definitely seems nice. I don't need a gorgeous, shiny case to show off like a car though. I've never understood that. I just need a case that will work, hold the parts in, maybe make things a little easier to install, and that I can put out of the way and not worry about.

This is what I mean about the plastic and what not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaktown
Yeah. Don't get me wrong. I do work (probably 8 hours a day on various projects, though that could be contributed to how long stuff takes to load..), but I've been a gamer of sorts before. I played a lot of Soldier of Fortune 2, Quake 3, Battlefield 2, etc back in the day when I actually could handle that sort of stuff. As of late, my computer has been so bad, I couldn't do anything BUT work. Know what I mean? Heck, one problem with my loudness has got to do with like.. just the fans on the inside. They make a loud, almost rattling-like sound, so it's hard to drown out. I have to leave Foobar2000 (Music player) on constantly along with the TV so I don't hear it. It's *that* bad. I'm happy to know that I won't be at the bottom tier of computers though.
Seems they pointed it out as well, so that's why I felt the need to ask. :D

I'm sure cooling wouldn't be an issue with this case though. I'm not worried about that. Heck, this computer was once going to be a 400-500$ USD machine, that's not been upped to possibly break the 650$ threshold. Don't you hate when that happens?
Old May 19, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

the HAF 922 has been reviewed already and to my knowledge is available, or atleast is very soon. I personally prefer the storm scout case, its pretty much the exact same case but I like the look of the scout a little more, I have always though of the haf cases as ugly. But both the haf 922 and the Coolermaster Storm scout are quite a bit more then the CM 690, they will both be hovering around the $100 USD mark. The haf 922 is however much nicer looking then the 932, maybe its not so bad to look at after all..

heres a video showcase from HWC.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-showcase.html

and a few reviews =)

Cooler Master HAF 922 Review Page 6 - Conclusion - Overclockers Club

Legit Reviews - Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower Case Review - Cooler Master HAF 922

Old May 19, 2009, 05:38 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
the HAF 922 has been reviewed already and to my knowledge is available, or atleast is very soon. I personally prefer the storm scout case, its pretty much the exact same case but I like the look of the scout a little more, I have always though of the haf cases as ugly. But both the haf 922 and the Coolermaster Storm scout are quite a bit more then the CM 690, they will both be hovering around the $100 USD mark. The haf 922 is however much nicer looking then the 932, maybe its not so bad to look at after all..

heres a video showcase from HWC.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-showcase.html

and a few reviews =)

Cooler Master HAF 922 Review Page 6 - Conclusion - Overclockers Club

Legit Reviews - Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower Case Review - Cooler Master HAF 922
Ahh. Nice. Yeah, I knew it'd be more pricey than the CM690, but I dunno. That case is gorgeous to me. The insides are what matter to me and man.. keeping cables neat looks so easy in that. Like I said, I'm not one for aesthetics or anything. The outside doesn't have to be gorgeous, LED'd/lit up like a christmas tree. I just want something for it's functionality. That's not out on newegg yet, but when it does, I'll definitely keep track of it and see if any deals come about for it.

Great links by the way. Saves me from having to look around!
Old May 19, 2009, 08:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Just hope you realize HD is not bullshit... That was a very single minded comment to make man, do some research on the matter, yeah they are selling it, but its a good product to sell. I know selling a monitor so you can hook your PS3/Xbox to it isnt exactly a great selling feature, but selling more workable desktop space is a HUGE plus in my eyes.
They could just as easily turn a 1680x1050 22" to run 1920x1200, but no, they decide to chop off vertical space and make it 16:9 so it can be sold as HD. And well 16:9 means it ends up being a smaller monitor compared to a 16:10 equivalent. Sure this makes for larger profit margins, but I don't believe it benefits the consumer.

Going back to your whole workspace issue, having 16:10 is far better than 16:9 IMO. Gives you the extra vertical space for the toolbars to not interfere as much with the document you're working on.

To each their own though, that's my opinion, you have yours. Like I said, the OP should really visit a store at look at things first hand to make his personal choice. The next (and probably last) monitor I'll buy is a 16:10 S-IPS 24". Nice amount of space and better colour reproduction.

One key thing that hasn't been mentioned, these "cheap" LCDs do not have accurate colour reproduction. Now I have no idea how serious Katsumara is with design/CAD, but it could be a real deal breaker. However by the sounds of things, even his CRT is garbage so it might not matter. Still worth noting though.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Most of the 20-22" monitors on the market now have great color reproduction, its grey scale performance thats a bit lacking.. And even that is minimal and hard to notice.

The reason they dont run 22" monitors @ 1920x1200 is because of exactly what you pointed out, people wouldnt be able to see the icons/text yata yata yata... The 22" 1920x1080 monitor isnt just a 1650x1080 monitor its a completely different sized monitor that runs in a different resolution set completely. Instead of being a differently scaled 22" its a 21.5" that has a physically longer visable frame ;)

But I agree best way to test a monitor is to go in and have them play a movie or let you run a test on the monitor to see what ones best for you. I am serious about graphic design and the LG 20" Flatron I have produces great colors, and has really nice greyscale and black to white contrast, and its not a top of the line model at all.

Katsumara, ya the 922 is a pretty sweet case, I like that the new Coolermasters are running on the same chasis but with different exterior designs, the storm scout and the 922 are pretty much the same case on the inside, but the scout is painted black on the inside while the 922 isnt. They both have great cable management though, something im happy to see alot more case companies paying alot of attention to these days.