Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah those load temps are still fine, I believe the heat threshold for thos video cards before they start to automatically throttle back clocks to cool down the card is around the 110+c mark, keep the temps under 75c and you will have no issues. Ive run quite a few video cards past the 80c mark without having any problems with the cards but personally on air I like to see load temps hover around the 60c mark. As for replacing fans, adding higher quality fans wont really make that much difference, its going to be the amount of fans in the case and the placement of the fans, even 3 high CFM 120mm fans wont cool that case as well as 6 cheapy fans will. Really you want to get more intake and exaust in to start moving the air from the bottom to the top of your case, which Is why I say populate the fan mount at the bottom of the case and then atleast 1 in the top of the case, this way you create a kind of wind tunnel effect that really helps move air past the motherboard and video cards. The fan that blows air on the hard drives really doesnt get much of that air PAST the hard drive cage, so all your computer is getting fresh air flow from is that 1 side fan and the holes in the case, which really dont allow for that much cool air.

Id say your CPU temps are just fine without having to worry about an aftermarket cooler, like I said those stock coolers are designed to run that CPU at good temps at stock clocks, you could more then likely still get a mid level overclock out of that stock cooler without having to get an aftermarket one as well ;) Aftermarket coolers are great if your going for either absolute silence but the same temps as a stock cooler, or if your trying to eek out every last drop of overclocking potential from your CPU.

Your motherboard is a little warm, but im guessing thats mostly from ambient temps and not quite enough air flow over the motherboard heat sinks, a couple fans set up the way I detailed would probubly bring those temps down a few degrees.

Really to be honest though, all of your temps are within reason, you PC seems to be running perfectly stable and should do so for years, I really just like keeping my parts bellow certain tempatures =) I can assure you that your PC is not going to spontaniously combust within the next 2 years at least. My advise is if your going to buy any fans just populate unpopulated fan mounts and dont worry about replacing fans, other then that enjoy the heck out of your new rig ;)

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old July 6, 2009, 08:34 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Yeah those load temps are still fine, I believe the heat threshold for thos video cards before they start to automatically throttle back clocks to cool down the card is around the 110+c mark, keep the temps under 75c and you will have no issues. Ive run quite a few video cards past the 80c mark without having any problems with the cards but personally on air I like to see load temps hover around the 60c mark. As for replacing fans, adding higher quality fans wont really make that much difference, its going to be the amount of fans in the case and the placement of the fans, even 3 high CFM 120mm fans wont cool that case as well as 6 cheapy fans will. Really you want to get more intake and exaust in to start moving the air from the bottom to the top of your case, which Is why I say populate the fan mount at the bottom of the case and then atleast 1 in the top of the case, this way you create a kind of wind tunnel effect that really helps move air past the motherboard and video cards. The fan that blows air on the hard drives really doesnt get much of that air PAST the hard drive cage, so all your computer is getting fresh air flow from is that 1 side fan and the holes in the case, which really dont allow for that much cool air.

Id say your CPU temps are just fine without having to worry about an aftermarket cooler, like I said those stock coolers are designed to run that CPU at good temps at stock clocks, you could more then likely still get a mid level overclock out of that stock cooler without having to get an aftermarket one as well ;) Aftermarket coolers are great if your going for either absolute silence but the same temps as a stock cooler, or if your trying to eek out every last drop of overclocking potential from your CPU.

Your motherboard is a little warm, but im guessing thats mostly from ambient temps and not quite enough air flow over the motherboard heat sinks, a couple fans set up the way I detailed would probubly bring those temps down a few degrees.

Really to be honest though, all of your temps are within reason, you PC seems to be running perfectly stable and should do so for years, I really just like keeping my parts bellow certain tempatures =) I can assure you that your PC is not going to spontaniously combust within the next 2 years at least. My advise is if your going to buy any fans just populate unpopulated fan mounts and dont worry about replacing fans, other then that enjoy the heck out of your new rig ;)
Okay. I was just curious. I haven't had a new computer in eight years, and even when my DELL was new back then, there was no method for temperature testing. Here though, I've spent so much time working for the parts of the PC on my first built PC, I wanted to make sure things were going smoothly.

I guess adding another fan instead of replacing one would actually be better. Which one should I go for? a 120mm fan in the top of the case? or one in the bottom? At the bottom, I actually use that space for some cable management to make it a bit neater around my mobo/video card area, so maybe the top area? I dunno. I see your point with the LED Fan not making a difference while it's blowing on the harddrive as it doesn't really get past it too much.

I'd like to keep my parts below certain temps too. 35C on the CPU seems okay, but lowering the Mobo temperature a few degrees, and getting my video card down to maybe 40ish idle would be nice too. I'm sure when it hints Winter time around here, I'll see a drastic drop since the ambient room temp will be colder, but during the hot summer days.. of course the temps will rise. I hate weather down here. =( Honestly, the first time I booted my PC and had to install Windows/drivers/etc, and was rebooting a few times, my CPU temp actually came in around 39-40C or so, but when I shut down the other night and booted back up after a storm, that's when it hit 35C. That and when running Everest, the CPU Fan RPM said it was only around 50ish which was weird, but now it's running at ~320RPM. That whole thing confused me. Maybe it was from starting up/rebooting so many times or something?

Anyway, I still may try and get a fan or two to put in the rig so I won't have to be so worried about temperatures. Honestly, it's driving me crazy and worrying me from trying any gaming. D: I'm so used to Harddrive/CPU temps needing to be in the 30s/40s, that I'm not used to seeing my video card break 60C, so I'm too scared to game for a long time. I have C&C3, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, HAWX, and Fallout 3 available to play, but when HAWX hit around 65C last night during my time of heavy playing through the first seven or so missions, I was like "Is 65C too high..?" and I was a little scared. D: Like I said.. I'm just not used to what temps are okay.

Also on my wish list is maybe getting that Windows 7 Upgrade from newegg. I've gotta decide soon on that. D: Also, I'm liking how the outside of my case feels cold due to the material it's made out of.

Edit: About fans.. I forget what you guys suggested. D: Are these good?
Newegg.com - APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans

Also, I notice your voltage on your CPU is 1.22.. mine is 1.31v. Should it be like that? I was thinking maybe that's why my temperature on it was a little higher or something? I dunno. D: I thought voltage had to do with overclocking, and I haven't touched mine at all with that.

Last edited by Katsumara; July 6, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old July 6, 2009, 10:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say that fan is pretty junk...

Great silent fan, though grossly overpriced. It's like less than $5 up here if you look in the right places. Might not move as much air as you want though...
Newegg.com - GELID Solutions FN-SX12-10 120mm Silent Case Fan - Case Fans

Both decent case fans, one being 1200RPM and the other 1600RPM, choose depending how much noise you can deal with.
Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans
Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12H 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans

Great deal, but not the greatest fans. Lower build quality than the GELID's IMO and probably moves a similar amount of air.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 BLUE LED LED Case Fan - Case Fans

Do note that fan specifications are horribly wrong. I personally can tolerate most 120mm fans up to 1500RPM, anything faster starts to get annoying for me.

My driver version is 8.620.0.0 (from device manager), but I'm using Windows 7 RC.

CPU voltage varies by each CPU. There is no standard option for all CPUs. If you have it set to Auto, you're fine.

And the maximum temperature on HD4850s (at least mine) is 105C. At that point, the fan speed kicks into 100% and probably will downclock if it can't lower the temperature.
Old July 6, 2009, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 for the scythe 1200rpm, quiet good workhorses but not exactly the best for heatsinks where you might want to go for scythe s-flex XD. yes i'm a scythe kinda guy since their quiet but noctua is also an option too.

the blue CM fans aren't bad if you need CFM at an (almost) total disregard for noise but I absolutely can't stand them since their too noisy for my liking. In the end, fans are more of a personal choice where you like them for different reasons such as color or blade shape or just for the brand themselves.

Old July 7, 2009, 12:38 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I'd say that fan is pretty junk...

Great silent fan, though grossly overpriced. It's like less than $5 up here if you look in the right places. Might not move as much air as you want though...
Newegg.com - GELID Solutions FN-SX12-10 120mm Silent Case Fan - Case Fans

Both decent case fans, one being 1200RPM and the other 1600RPM, choose depending how much noise you can deal with.
Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans
Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12H 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans

Great deal, but not the greatest fans. Lower build quality than the GELID's IMO and probably moves a similar amount of air.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 BLUE LED LED Case Fan - Case Fans

Do note that fan specifications are horribly wrong. I personally can tolerate most 120mm fans up to 1500RPM, anything faster starts to get annoying for me.

My driver version is 8.620.0.0 (from device manager), but I'm using Windows 7 RC.

CPU voltage varies by each CPU. There is no standard option for all CPUs. If you have it set to Auto, you're fine.

And the maximum temperature on HD4850s (at least mine) is 105C. At that point, the fan speed kicks into 100% and probably will downclock if it can't lower the temperature.
Well thanks for the honestly on the one I linked, jd. Haha. I don't know anything about fans. These Cooler Masters that came with the 690 seem fairly quiet to be honest, and obviously way quieter than my previous computer that sounded like a loud, buzzing storm. Was horrible, so this is a god send right now. If it got even quieter, I dunno what I'd do! Only time I can here it is when my room is completely quiet or if I bend down at my case.

Anyway, these are some nice fans. So if you had to rank them in terms of movement of air/quietness, you'd probably put the Scythe 1200 RPM one > Scythe 1600 RPM one > GELID > Cooler Master x2 pack? I really like that Scythe Slipstream 1200 RPM. Looks nice, and has some good reviews.

Also, when you say: "Do note that fan specifications are horribly wrong." -- what do you mean there?

Also, I think I actually have my fans hooked up to my PSU to save some cable management and what not. I can't remember exactly what my friend and I did, but I'm guessing that makes it where I can't follow how fast they are spinning and what not.

About the driver version, I gotcha. Maybe mine is low since I'm still on XP and what not? Where would I go about looking up about updating it or where it's supposed to be? When I started my pc for the first time, I used the XFX CD to install those first drivers, and then I installed the Catalyst 9.6 drivers from the website and everything is working just fine. I just don't know for sure about the Driver Version thingy.

Thanks for clearing things up about CPU Voltages. I read where the good point for the Phenom II X3 720 is like 1.425 Voltages. If I wasn't so scared about overclocking, I'd try, but god am I scared something would blow up. I have horrible luck with technology sometimes. =[

Wow.. 105C? Jeez. So I'm good where I am then. That's great. Maybe that'll stop me from worrying so much. If I can get one or two of these Scythe Slipstreams, maybe I can drop my GPU Fan down to 50% and not have to worry too much then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
+1 for the scythe 1200rpm, quiet good workhorses but not exactly the best for heatsinks where you might want to go for scythe s-flex XD. yes i'm a scythe kinda guy since their quiet but noctua is also an option too.

the blue CM fans aren't bad if you need CFM at an (almost) total disregard for noise but I absolutely can't stand them since their too noisy for my liking. In the end, fans are more of a personal choice where you like them for different reasons such as color or blade shape or just for the brand themselves.
Thanks a ton for your input, Crossfire2009! I liked that one too from what I read. It seems alright.

I have 3 Cooler Master fans, one being a blue LED that's in the front of my case, but I don't know exactly which ones they are. They aren't too bad, but I could use a little more cooling I guess to be 100% safe and so I can stop worrying. I do like the quiet though... quiet is awesome. I'm trying to get used to my room being as silent as it is with just the TV going or music, haha.

Edit: I found these Yates: Petra's Tech Shop that someone suggested on another board that I was reading while checking other reviews on that 1200RPM Scythe Slimstream. What do you think of those?

Also, where do you suggest I position the fans? Someone said that the side panel fans were almost useless and that the bottom area for the fan next to the PSU was a really good spot to keep the GPU cool. Is that true? Also.. how do you know if it's intake or exhaust? Just how the fans are placed? D: I've never understood that. Thanks again!

Last edited by Katsumara; July 7, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old July 7, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yate loons are awesome fans for the price, Id stand behind them, but the one you linked is high cfm and high noise, that fan is mostly made for watercooling enthusiasts who need to move lots of air through restricted passages. The sythe fans are nice, but unless you find the fans you already have loud I wouldnt worry and just grab some CM ones. Idealy you want 1 fan in the bottom slot, its deffinetly a priority and you set that one to intake, that will bring fresh cold air in from the bottom of your case and blow it towards your video card and more then likely your south bridge too. Then put another in the top right above that fan as exaust, that way you have an air stream moving from bottom to the top of your case. This sort of set up should help move some air over your motherboard and also bring some more cool air to your CPU heatsink fan as well.

Most fans will have arrows that show the rotation of the fan and the direct then air moves, should be on the round part on the opposite side of the fan blades.. with the CM ones you just turn it on its side and turn it around till you notice the 2 little arrows, normally with them the sticker faces the opposite direction the air moves, so if the sticker is facing you inside the case then it is set to exaust. This isnt true for all designs but normally I just expect that the side that has the supports and fan motor is the exaust side and the side with the sticker is the intake side.

The fan slot above the CPU in the side panel can help as it will blow air across both your CPU and your motherboard, but its normally not usable when you have large heatsinks installed which most people buying that case do >.< I know I couldnt populate it if I was using that panel anyhow. IF you had 3 fans I personally would set another intake in the top of the case, the slot closest to the back of the case, that air will be a little warm as its close to your exaust fans but it will bring some cool air in and blow it across your CPU heat sink and motherboard. But honestly I think you would be good with 2 fans, or even 1 in the bottom would probubly help alot.

EDIT: Ive been using this case for about 4 months now, Ive tested pretty much every fan slot setup possible, and the slot that will make the most impact is deffinetly the bottom slot.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old July 7, 2009, 07:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumara View Post
So if you had to rank them in terms of movement of air/quietness, you'd probably put the Scythe 1200 RPM one > Scythe 1600 RPM one > GELID > Cooler Master x2 pack?

Also, when you say: "Do note that fan specifications are horribly wrong." -- what do you mean there?

Also, I think I actually have my fans hooked up to my PSU to save some cable management and what not. I can't remember exactly what my friend and I did, but I'm guessing that makes it where I can't follow how fast they are spinning and what not.

About the driver version, I gotcha. Maybe mine is low since I'm still on XP and what not? Where would I go about looking up about updating it or where it's supposed to be? When I started my pc for the first time, I used the XFX CD to install those first drivers, and then I installed the Catalyst 9.6 drivers from the website and everything is working just fine. I just don't know for sure about the Driver Version thingy.

Edit: I found these Yates: Petra's Tech Shop that someone suggested on another board that I was reading while checking other reviews on that 1200RPM Scythe Slimstream. What do you think of those?
I actually wouldn't buy the 1600RPM Slipstream since it's too noisy for my tastes, but otherwise that would be the order I put them in.

I mean that the CFM and dBA that companies rate their fans at are no where near real-world. Typically Scythe is rather close to reality though, but Coolermaster, Thermaltake, SilenX are known to over-rate CFM and under-rate dBA. However there isn't exactly any standard to getting these specifications which is why it varies so much.

Doesn't really matter if you can't monitor the RPM of the fans. You'll be running them at 100% (aka 12V) so it's not a big deal. Just make sure they're spinning from time to time if your concerned.

As long as you've installed Catalyst 9.6 you should be fine. I wouldn't worry much.

Petra's Yates are known to be the best so you can go with those as well. You'll most likely want the slower model though. This is the one most people use: Petra's Tech Shop Great deal for 4 @ $15.96.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Yate loons are awesome fans for the price, Id stand behind them, but the one you linked is high cfm and high noise, that fan is mostly made for watercooling enthusiasts who need to move lots of air through restricted passages. The sythe fans are nice, but unless you find the fans you already have loud I wouldnt worry and just grab some CM ones. Idealy you want 1 fan in the bottom slot, its deffinetly a priority and you set that one to intake, that will bring fresh cold air in from the bottom of your case and blow it towards your video card and more then likely your south bridge too. Then put another in the top right above that fan as exaust, that way you have an air stream moving from bottom to the top of your case. This sort of set up should help move some air over your motherboard and also bring some more cool air to your CPU heatsink fan as well.

EDIT: Ive been using this case for about 4 months now, Ive tested pretty much every fan slot setup possible, and the slot that will make the most impact is deffinetly the bottom slot.
Ahh. Cool. Yeah, I figured Scythe or Yate Loons were two good choices. I remember you guys mentioning them waaay earlier in my thread, Haha. I looked at the ones JD pointed; the ~47CFM/28dba fans that are around $16 USD for 4, though it doesn't count shipping, which for me, it takes me to around $29. I wonder if I'd need all four. From what you're saying, Reality.. I could get by easily with just two. Heck, my temps, as you guys have said, aren't really all that bad, so honestly.. I may only need one for the bottom fan spot for my GPU, right? That one Yate Loon down in the bottom slot.. how much of a temperature difference do you think it'd make if it were moving the proper amount of air? I may go for two so I could get a Top Front fan as well if that's the one you meant. Set the bottom case one to intake, and the top one nearer to the front on exhaust?

Also.. do you think it'd be more helpful if I were to remove the fan from the side panel that it comes with and maybe move it elsewhere? Like the bottom of fan slot? I know I've read somewhere that the side panel fans don't do nearly as much for cooling as the bottom one obviously, and other slots. Thanks a ton, Reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
As long as you've installed Catalyst 9.6 you should be fine. I wouldn't worry much.

Petra's Yates are known to be the best so you can go with those as well. You'll most likely want the slower model though. This is the one most people use: Petra's Tech Shop Great deal for 4 @ $15.96.
I don't really want the 1600RPM ones either as I don't want to get my PC too loud. I want it to where I can't hear it with the TV on and while it's under my desk. I used to have my DELL inside the enclosed cabinet area of my desk, but I moved the new Desktop under my desk to it has room for air to move and all that.

Gotcha about the ratings for the fans. I was confused, so I was just wondering what you meant. I suppose no one can truly know how every fan out there behaves without proper testing. Some spin faster/move more air than others I guess.

Yeah, I guess monitoring them isn't too big a deal. Just peek to see if it's still spinning as they'd be moving at 100% like you said.

Thanks for the link to those Yates. Shipping makes em a little pricey for me, so I dunno if I want to go with 2 fans for around $22 USD or 4 fans for $29. I'm a little low on cash, so I'm not sure just yet. I do know I'll probably either get some of those, or get that 1200 RPM Slipstream from newegg.

Thanks a ton for the resonses guys. :D
Old July 8, 2009, 12:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would leave the side fan where it is, it does a good job of cooling the video card PCB as well as some of the motherboard above and bellow the videocard, and the CPU. If you where to populate the top front and bottom slots youd probubly see 3-4c on the motherboard, dropping it bellow 35c id hope, probubly a decent drop on the video card as well, im thinking some of the heat has to do with it being starved for cool air. Its not going to be a miraculous change but for the $20 or so that itll cost you itll make a difference, and may help to extend the life of your gear. I like the ones that JD linked, their right around the perfect sound to CFM level you would be looking for at a great price, id grab 2 of them at their regular price and put one in the bottom on intake one in the top as exaust.

Old July 8, 2009, 06:05 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I would leave the side fan where it is, it does a good job of cooling the video card PCB as well as some of the motherboard above and bellow the videocard, and the CPU. If you where to populate the top front and bottom slots youd probubly see 3-4c on the motherboard, dropping it bellow 35c id hope, probubly a decent drop on the video card as well, im thinking some of the heat has to do with it being starved for cool air. Its not going to be a miraculous change but for the $20 or so that itll cost you itll make a difference, and may help to extend the life of your gear. I like the ones that JD linked, their right around the perfect sound to CFM level you would be looking for at a great price, id grab 2 of them at their regular price and put one in the bottom on intake one in the top as exaust.
Alright. Cool. I think I'll do that. I shut down my PC today and just booted it back up. Right now, my Mobo is around 35C and CPU around 30C, which is nice. Video card still idles around 43-45C right now. I'll definitely look at a couple of those fans though. :D