Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2009, 02:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Can something new fit in this old case?!?

Hello,

I've been digging in my basement and found this old case! Perfect I said, I was looking for something to do this week. So I took everything out and started modding it to my heart's desire.

But today I just realized...will something new fit in there?

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9421/p1040488.jpg

The PSU is sitting sideways over the CPU socket. Will new HSF fit in there? Or will absolutely anything be blocked?

I was looking at building a decent gaming rig with a 4770. Help?

Thx!
Old May 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a similar case from a comtex machine kicking around, don't count on it unless you go low profile and reverse air flow with your heatsink.
You could water cool if you have a block with right angle barbs on it or something though.
If you do attempt it, get a PSU that is fully modular so you can remove it completely to get at your CPU and mor hand room for RAM, etc.

That being said, you really should put a board and PSU in then measure how much space you have and take a look as some heatsinks.

Last edited by MacJunky; May 14, 2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

I was afraid of that answer ... was looking at lowering my cost, not making it rocket up ...

I'll try to find myself a new case to work with, too bad I was almost done too ...
Old May 14, 2009, 07:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Depends what hardware your putting it in...

If it's just a AMD X2 or Pentium Dual-Core, you should be alright. Stock heatsink might even fit, if not there's a few low-profile ones out there.

Then either get a PSU with a single 80mm exhaust or have the 120mm fan facing the side panel (and cut a hole out) so that it doesn't directly interfere with the heatsink airflow.

Better yet, since this is a modding project, make some sort of duct from the top of the case down to the CPU heatsink so it can pull in cold air. Kind of like a chimney only intake rather than exhaust.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I dunno about that. With the PSU sticking out like that (even if it's a smaller, say modular 550W), you won't be able to get any tall coolers, which typically perform the best. +1 for jdrom's input, but I definitely think you'll have to get a low-profile heatsink, or maybe a downdraft one?

If you're modding the case anyway, why don't you just add a little more room on the top?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old May 15, 2009, 10:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Zalman has some nice Downdraft Coolers that would probably work just fine for that case, so long as the case itself can get some good Airflow.
That would be what I would do in that situation.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I say mod the case further and make more room for the PSU. Downdraft coolers do a good job and are lower than tower coolers, but they just don't match up in performance.

@ST:

Airflow in that old beige box case will be at a minimum, unless the OP does some major mods to it and adds way more fans. Heck, I would extend the length of it a bit too, it's short...
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old May 15, 2009, 10:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
I say mod the case further and make more room for the PSU. Downdraft coolers do a good job and are lower than tower coolers, but they just don't match up in performance.

@ST:

Airflow in that old beige box case will be at a minimum, unless the OP does some major mods to it and adds way more fans. Heck, I would extend the length of it a bit too, it's short...

Yeah, I would imagine so, I remember a few old Acer ones I had...god were they poor airflow.
Still, if he's going mod happy its not that hard to put fans in there.
And, the advantage of a Downdraft, although they don't cool as well as a tower, they cool everything around them as well (VRM's MOFSETs etc).

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You have a point, but MOFSETs, RAM, etc. don't generally need it all the time, especially if it's a low-end build.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One