Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2009, 08:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post
Are you planning to overclock? Liquid cooling is an expensive, pointless, and potentially dangerous alternative to air cooling.
If he's buying a wc system, of course he's planning to over clock. And I take exception to the pointless and dangerous comments. I couldn't get anywhere near the OC I have now on air. And there's nothing dangerous about it. Now, if you're not careful, you can have a leak and kill parts, but it ain't dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTioN View Post
And correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldnt the EVGA X58 be a bad board for SLI? Since its 16/8/4.
The EVGA X58 is a x16/x16 in SLI, or x16/x8/x8 in TriSLI.
Old May 14, 2009, 08:39 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Chances are 3 GTX 260s wouldnt fill up the bandwidth of a 8x slot, or would see very little loss in performance from that, the P6T would be a good alternative though. The P6T your thinking of at NCIX is the SE version for that price though and only supports Crossfire without a bios flash. btw the EVGA x58 runs at 16/8/8, GTX 285s would probubly see a cut in performance but a GTX 260 more then likely wouldnt, especially when SLIed. The P6T is the same thing, 16/16/8, when SLIed each card will need to perform at the same level as the other 2, so in tri SLI you still technically running at the speed of your weekest link. Both boards would be a good choice IMHO but neither stand up to the classified or other higher end boards when it comes to tri sli.
No, i'm talking about the regular P6T that does SLI/CF
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard - P6T In Canada.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:03 PM
Top Prospect

First ill talk about motherboards. I have posted a biuld a few months ago and got alot of controversy over the mobo. I finally desided on the ud5 because its a good board, a good price, and it has the best layout of any of them. Its the only one ive seen that will let you have triple SLI and a PCIe sound card (by the way im planning on getting logitech g51 speakers for it).

One question regarding the cooling. i found the CPU block on frozenCPU and it said it was for i7 and i found what i think is the same one on canada direct (frozenCPU has outrageous prices) but it only says for 775. Are they the same thing?. Also regarding cooling what size tubing should i have? I really like my resevoir cause its easy to check, and it will light up from the UV lights but it says its 1/2" tubing while everythingelse seems to be 3/4" thoughts please.

In the way of CD drives, i really do want 2. I have 2 right now and i find it very useful for installing things and duplicating discs.

In the way of the moniter, i looked at quite a few. I figure i should get it from mem exp cause its the most likly thing to be damaged in shipping. I have no problem in paying for a little better quality. I figure theres no point in getting 600$ worth of GPUs and having a crummy moniter. The LG monitor that was suggested only has 1080 resolution while the samsung is 1200 and it has 20000:1 contrast while the LG is 10000:1 . It also matches my comp .

I will reconsider the GPUs and RAM when i have more time. does anyone know of somewher that sells dominator 1600 w/ a fan as a bundle?

Also, regarding an SSD, ive never had that suggestion before, would I install games like crysis on their or would it be dedicated only to the OS? How big should it be and if possible which one should i get.

Third post mentioned upgrading to the 940. I don't know if youve heard but those are jusxt the start of the x58 family. They are planning on releasing a new chip in the 2nd quarter of 2010 with 6 cores. Im not sure exactly what speed it will be but it will be awsome non the less and from what i can tell it will be able to replace i7 chips. I plan on upgrading things over time. ( part of the lure of 295 cause of getting quad sli in the long run) It wont do anything to it anytime soon but its not worth it to spend 700$ on a cpu if i want to upgrade 2 or 3 years from now. The 295 is almost that price, but when i upgrade it, im not replacing it, im simply adding to it. Speaking of that, if they come out with a new gpu thats better in the future, can i sli the new one and the 295 or does SLI have to be with 2 identical GPUs?

Last question. Has anyone gone through mem exp before? i know they will biuld your computer for you for about 30-40$ but thats with the system configurator. Will they provide the same service if you bring in parts from other vendors?

I really apreciate all the feedback. youve given me alot to think about

Last edited by Bubbzilla; May 14, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
If you buy a $20 giftcard from NCIX, they add free shipping to the entire order.
Even with the 10$ gift card.
Core i7 920(D0) @4.0 1.212v | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | OCZ Gold 3x2GB CL8 | Silverstone FT01-BW | TRUE 1366-RT | eVga GTX275 FTW (713/1512/1260) | Corsair TX850w | Hitachi 500GB | Seagate 7200.11 750GB | Dual Screen (Dell 2208wfp & Viewsonic VP930b)
Old May 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

No you can non SLI video cards that are that different, the chances are VERY high that the new 3xx series will not be compatible with the GTX 295 or any of the other 2xx series cards, the only time you will see non matching video cards being SLIed is with the case of the 9800GTX, 9800GTX+ and the GTS 250, you can sli the 9800GTX+ with a GTX 250 or a 9800GTX but the GTS 250 will not SLI with a 9800GTX. The GTX 260 is the same, a sp 216 can be SLIed with a non 216 but will only run at the level of the sp 192.

The GTX 295s are over rated, you will NEVER need more then 2x GTX 275s, there is no game that you will see enough of a gain in it to justify the extra cost of a 2nd 295. Nvidias dual GPU cards are never as good as their SLI equivilent (dual GTX 275s in this case) and are ALWAYs more expensive, ask around and youll see alot of HWCs dropping the GTX 295 to grab 2 GTX 275/GTX 285s instead.

Now as for motherboard, if you run dual SLI the middle pci-E 16x lane can be used for a PCI-E sound card, which is why I mentioned it, if you dont like the board then you dont have to get it I was just trying to save you money while maximizing performance, obviously you know better so we will leave it alone. Same goes with the monitor, I didnt realize the difference in resolutions, but I would still personally prefer the LG having run alot of LGs and having samsungs fail on me time and time again, just my experiences. The LG panel is also 2ms but we all know that doesnt matter as like the contrast ratio is just an inflated number used by marketing to get us to buy their stuff.

As for ram I have yet to see the dominators of that level of performance being sold with the cooler, they arent exactly at a level where they NEED extra cooling, my xtune DDR3 1866mhz ram doesnt need it nor do they need the elaborate cooling risers. I personally would not pay twice the price for lower rated ram plus extra for a cooler that in essence isnt going to do anything.

I have delt with memory express in the past and I would have to say im not impressed, you would be better off having the meat of the PC built by NCIX and adding whatever parts you buy in town yourself after. The only really iffy part of building the PC is installing the motherboard and CPU, and even that is very easy, I personally sudgest you save the money and build it yourself, get your buddy who knows watercooling to come give you a hand, you could probubly have it done in a couple of hours. That being said memory express should have no issues with building your PC for you weather you bought the parts through them or not, but you may have to pay more for it. Its also pretty hard for a 24" monitor to be damaged in shipping, if you have ever seen how much foam is better the monitor itself and the box its in youd know where im coming from. Thats also why you insure your order when you buy computer parts, so if it comes in broken you just exchange it, express RMA from NCIX is awesome for this, they ship it to you as you ship it to them.

EDIT: 2 of these would easily out perform a GTX 295 IMHO, and if you need more then that then your crazy, those will run crysis maxed out with high framerates.

NCIX.com - Buy EVGA GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked 648MHZ 896MB 2.376GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card - 896-P3-1171-AR In Canada.

Want a high rez monitor? how about this?

NCIX.com - Buy Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX 23IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 2048X1152 5ms 20000:1DC 16:9 VGA DVI-D 1080P - LS23MYZKFV/XAC In Canada.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Ok no edit for this one it deserves its own post, wow good price and includes your ram...

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Intel Core i7 920 EVGA Classified X58 SLI Motherboard 6GB Corsair Dominator RAM - Classified-920-6GB In Canada.

Best x58 motherboard around IMHO. Plus the CPU and the ram you want.

EDIT: BTW theres one of your cooling fans for sale in the buy sell and trade section for $10.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:27 PM
Top Prospect

thats an awsome deal. the RAM, mobo, and CPU that i was planning to get is $942.22
mobo also matches the comp :P

1 question is with an SSD, where do you put it in the comp? and why are the intel ones so expensive? what is the best on for my needs (playing games like crysis and FPSs.

also, percent wise, how much better is dual 275 compared to 295?

and, is this free shipping with ncix for 3000$+? People have been saying get a gift card which makes it sound like that. if so does tax count toward that 3000? remember that price is w/o tax. also if i add a SDD the price will be over 3000$.

Last edited by Bubbzilla; May 14, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah its a smoking deal, that is a very nice motherboard, and since theres a PCI-E 1x at the top of the motherboard you shouldnt have issues with a soundcard, theres also plenty of 16x so you can always use one of them for a sound card as well, you can use a 1x PCI-E card in a 16x slot =). Great layout as well, I like the placement of all the sata connectors. Just a sweet looking motherboard.

Old May 14, 2009, 04:14 PM
Top Prospect

NCIX.com - Buy Thermaltake AquaBay M5 Alarm System Water Temperature & Level Display with Pump & Reservoir - CL-W0103 In Canada.

is this any good? Its more cost effective. I won't get the front bay resevoir but thats not absolutely necassary. besides the front bay monitor shows the temps and the how much coolant there is.
Old May 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

No stay away from thermaltake stuff when it comes to W/C, stick with Dangerden/Swift tech or other dedicated w/c brands.

Percenage wise your looking at maybe 5% faster on the 275 side but with quite a bit less cost, 2 GTX 275s are $258 each, your 295 is over $600. And if you added a 3rd GTX 275 down the road you would gain alot of performance vs price compared to adding a GTX 295.

Look at the swift tech micro res v2 for a res, and you will be able to find a MUCH better pump for only a little more then that unit.

I personally dont know much about SSD technology I still think its highly over priced and over complicated in its current form, id say save your money, buy 2-3 WD 640gb blacks and put them in raid 5.