Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
In all honesty for your first time putting a list like that together , it looks pretty damn good.

I'm assuming you are using the Stock heatsink that the Processor Comes with on this build?

Otherwise, for under a Grand, thats pretty solid.

ST
+1 ^^^^^ .... for 1st go at it that is an excellent build!! First, if you have a slight bit of "enthusiast" in you at all....which based on your choice of Parts you do.....you mat not want to completely "rule out" the addition of a 2nd GTX 260 at some point in time.
If it is still a viable consideration....keep the 750W PSU and (as suggested) go to a SLI compatible Mobo, as in a 750i Board.....you wind up with a great Rig and still have a "door open" as far as some signifant performance improvements if you so desire in the future.
Or...keep that Asus Board and go with an ATI Crossfire Card, that way the door will remian open for you......

Old May 13, 2009, 10:12 AM
Rookie

I hear you RJ i very may well do that you have me thinking. If i do go that route i think i'll go SLI compatible Mobo and keep with gtx 260. Then down the road pick up another 260 gpu. WOW!!! That would be quite the jump from where i'm at now. Jingle bells jingle bells :) early christmas. What 750i boards are in that price range of what i was looking at for the ASUS, and that are highly reviewed. I'll probably try down the road some overclocking (which I've never done before) seeing the capability is certainly there.

By the way RJ sorry about your Canucks i was hoping a Canadian team would stay in it. Can't blame Louango.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

A good SLI board...for cheap? I think XFX has one at tiger that is 129.99 after MIR.

Lifetime warranty too, if you want to go that route.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 13, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Theres a 750i ftw in the B/S threads for $120 right now, if used isnt ok I highly recommend a new one, great motherboards. BTW the cm 590 is NOT a better case and you have to do alot of moving around to fit a longer GTX 260 into it. Stick with your original CM 690 idea as its much easier to work with and will only cost $15 or so more, also comes with 3 fans instead of 2. Unless the OP was originally going with the 300 case which again I would say go with the CM 690....

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:59 AM
Rookie

Thanks again for help and suggestions. I think i'll stay with new board versus used --- I will check out the XFX and 750i boards. Also if CM690 a better fit for $15 dolleros i'm back to the CM690 --- more room and extra fan equates to less hassles.
I'll check back later this afternoon as its 330 pm here. Later
Old May 13, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...gs-thread.html

I know used isnt your style but those are some seriously nice prices....

I personally love my CM 590, and after seeing a 590 in person I just know I couldnt use one personally, the extra little bit in cost gets you alot of really nice features and a much more finished looking case. I would recommend grabbing some cheap yateloon or the blue LED coolermaster fans since either are about $5 a peice but are reletively quiet, you should put atleast one in the top and one in the bottom to really boost air flow, especially to that GTX 260. I have 9 120mm fans inside my 690 and I still have a couple more I want to retrofit into it but now that im not running dual 9800GTXs and have moved to a single GTX 260, having that much airflow is way overkill, 1-2 in the top and 1 in the bottom plus a single side fan is plenty of air flow, especially if your not overclocking. You just want to get as much air to the GTX as you can to keep it cool.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well you can keep all these piece if you don`t want to have ultimate performance 1 GTX260 will be enough for about 2 years. Congrat's realy good build for you first time posting most of the time newbee post thing wich have no sense:) congrat`s again.
For my part You can get the build like that or change for a GTX 275 and a GA ep45-Ud3R That`s all

Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBNO View Post
Thanks again for help and suggestions. I think i'll stay with new board versus used --- I will check out the XFX and 750i boards. Also if CM690 a better fit for $15 dolleros i'm back to the CM690 --- more room and extra fan equates to less hassles.
I'll check back later this afternoon as its 330 pm here. Later

XFX nForce 750i SLI Extreme Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i, 45nm Support, Socket 775, ATX, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID MB750I72P9 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Thats the XFX board I was talking about, looks solid, although not everyone loves nVidia Chipsets.

And the CM690, is a Bang for the Buck Budget Case that you just can't go wrong with, so +1 to RS's suggestion in that regard.
They are fun to work in, Mod, and just use.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 13, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1^^^^......Great looking 1st build!...you won't be disappointed with a 750i FTW board no matter the make, XFX or EVGA, especially for down the road SLI, I've built a bunch of these and they are rock solid IMO. I'd also agree on the CM690, for a budget case you just can't go wrong, it has great wire management, great air flow and very easy to work with. RJ is also right about the PSU, try and stay with the 750w if budget allows, beats the hell out of having to upgrade down the road if you do decide to go SLI.
"Make it so #1"

Old May 13, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wow ST awesome price on that XFX board, that would be a wicked motherboard for this build plus it comes with an awesome garranty, I thought you where talking about the normal XFX 750i not the extreme.

+1 that will be an awesome build.