Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   I7 - Case Considerations (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/17779-i7-case-considerations.html)

SpatulaCity May 10, 2009 03:22 PM

I7 - Case Considerations

Hello,

I am building a strong I7 system and I am not 100% happy with any of the popular cases. They all have strengthens and weaknesses, but I am still not sure which one to choose. Specifically, I am concerned about the air cooling performance, cable management, CPU heatsink compatibility... I also have not chosen a heatsink yet because I am concerned that it may not fit in a case that I choose.

My System:
Intel I7 920 - Will overclock to 4Ghz
Heatsink - Considering Prolimatech Megahalems
Motherboard - ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
Power Supply - Corsair 1000HX
Memory - OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3 128000
Hard Drive - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10000RPM
Video Cards - 2 MSI 260GTX cards in SLI

I am not interested in water cooling for this system. I have been considering 2 cases and I actually purchased both to see how my equipment fits in each.

Coolermaster Storm Sniper
I like the exterior looks of this case and I think the power button fan dial is a nice touch. The extra width of the case and the fact it has feet to bring the case up higher are nice too. I don't like the fact it's not painted inside, and how the carrying handle covers some of the top fan so that air can't evacuate the case as effeciaently. Also, the vent on the bottom for PSU fans is not large enough for my 1000HX to properly use. There is no dist filter on the power supply intake vent on the bottom of the case also. I also thought that the top fan needs to be moved to the rear of the case a little more so that it picks up more heat from my motherboard. The fact that the side door is all vent holes seems like an inefficient way to move air around the case. I'm worried that the fans would simply suck air straight from the side door air holes and bypass cooling critical components.

Antec 902 - Nine Hundred Two
This case has ok looks, but it is nicely painted black on the inside. (gets a few points in my book) The top fan is also free from obstructions and is centrally located over the motherboard so that it can suck up all the heat from all the heatsinks. It is more cramped inside with all the hardware. The case is not as wide and not as long. The height is ok, becasue I am not planning on needing a bunch of hard drives in this case. The main drawback is that there is no vent on the bottom of the case to support PSU fans. I would have to cut a hole in the bottom and get some case feet to raise the case up get get enough air into the PSU. I would also have to figure aout a filter system for that new vent. I'm also concerned that a large heatsink would not quite fit in the case.

Any suggestions? Which one would you choose? Any tips for a CPU cooler?

Thanks,

Dave

Ogdin May 10, 2009 03:56 PM

Your main drawback on the 902 is no hole in the bottom for a psu intake fan? You don't have to cut a hole,just flip the psu over,thats how they are supposed to go into those cases. :thumb:Mucho air getting rammed in from the front of those cases,no need to suck more from the bottom. As for clearance for a monster air cooler i should think you'd have no problem. The 900 series is very popular,the cooler manufacturers would be screwing themselves over by making a cooler that didn't fit into them.

ImmaPC May 10, 2009 04:15 PM

If you have to get an ATX case then I would go for the Storm Sniper. It has more/bigger fans and the top is only slightly obstructed by the handles. In other words, air can get out pretty much as efficiently as it would on say, the 902. I know that it's not painted on the inside but if you really, really want a painted interior it's not hard to paint it yourself.

Personally, I would ditch both cases and invest money into a Full-Tower (E-ATX) case. They have far more airflow than an ATX case because you have more room, and often times for fans, like the HAF 932. You will need the extra room and airflow especially if you are going to be housing two GTX 260's (what's a 260GTX? =P) that run pretty hot and are pretty big. It wouldn't cost much more to have a F/T case vs. an ATX case, and the extra money (if any) would pay major dividends in the temperature differences, and the ease of use when you are working in one and have lots of room.

aviduser May 10, 2009 07:06 PM

IMO id get either the storm sniper or a silverstone tj-07

edit just saw you already bought both cases, I'd still go for the storm sniper, mainly because I like the looks of it.

rapmaster May 10, 2009 07:16 PM

Storm Sniper just for the bigger space to work with

Soultribunal May 10, 2009 07:50 PM

I'd say a SIlverstone Fortress , Ft09 or something I think is the designation.
I've seen a few builds with that case, and it looks like a dream to work with.
I'm sure some owners can chime in with their experiences.

Good Luck,
ST

Ronin May 10, 2009 07:57 PM

FT01 is a nice case.

rjbarker May 10, 2009 08:16 PM

Whats your Budget...?......my Silverstone TJ09 is very worthy of an I7 and multiple GPU's, as in loads of space and lots of air cooling (7 x 120mm), room for your large TRUE (Push / Pull).....cable management is ok....some modding involving cutting some holes here in their would make it better. If you ever so choose to go WC thier is plenty of room.

Ronin May 10, 2009 08:24 PM

I think he bought both the Sniper and the 902 and is asking which would be the better case for his new rig ? I'd go for the Sniper in that case. Seems to be a mini HAF 932 to me(that or the HAF 922).

martin_metal_88 May 10, 2009 08:48 PM

I like the storm, there is a thing on it that make it one of my best case for 2009 for now...the ****ing controll for the LED in then fan...my god I hate so much computer with light in ho my god i hate them:P but that's not the fact...Go with the storm because the back cooling of the board, cable management also better and the drive ( 3.5 ) did not block all the airflow wich is pretty good for running 2 GTX260

Ask for more;)