LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2009, 08:59 PM
MVP

My last server had these specs.

Intel Atom 330 ITX Board
Apex MI-008 ITX case
2gig ddr2-800Mhz
Seagate 1tb SATA2 Hard Drive
Intel Pro/1000 GT Gigabit Nic (Extra Nic)

It ran CentOS 5.2 & Ubuntu Server 8.10 very well for the tasks that I wanted it to do. (File,print,web & media server).

In addition to the low power requirements this setup, after I replaced the noisy stock Intel 40mm chipset fan with aquiet one from Scythe, was very quiet as well.

I can recommend these Atom boards, specially the dual core 330, with ease for the vast majority of home server duties specially where power consumption & noise are major deciding factors. In addition to all of this the above setup can probably be had for under $300 CAD.

I've since moved up to an AMD X2 7750 (Phenom Based Dual Core) based setup since I moved all of my server stuff to a bare metal virtual environment, but still have lots of respect for my past Atom 330 based box.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old May 12, 2009, 07:43 AM
Top Prospect

Incredibly expensive but it looks enticing Chenbro ES34069 MINI-ITX. Any thoughts beyond the cost?

It's more interesting then a shuttle cube for the way it handles hard drives. I've currently have a collection of various hds from 1tb on down and reusing them instead of going for a 2tb is appealing.

One of the problems I have narrowing down parts on this one is the trade off between size an feature set. I don't think I want to go for a matx 1080p (through on board) player in the long run or stick with a low power box without video out. I don't currently have a tv worth hooking a decent box up to so it seems like a bit of a waste.

Another interest is the power, an atom/via based board will run the lightest but how much would an matx system run? How much extra room should I leave for numerous hard drives? 300w?

Atom vs Via any one???

kingnubian could you expand a little on the change to a higher power virtual environment? Why did you change? What sort of hardware/software is it based on?

ImmaPC you sure that mini-Dtx board would fit in that mini-Itx case?
Old May 12, 2009, 09:33 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeperson View Post
Incredibly expensive but it looks enticing Chenbro ES34069 MINI-ITX. Any thoughts beyond the cost?

It's more interesting then a shuttle cube for the way it handles hard drives. I've currently have a collection of various hds from 1tb on down and reusing them instead of going for a 2tb is appealing.

One of the problems I have narrowing down parts on this one is the trade off between size an feature set. I don't think I want to go for a matx 1080p (through on board) player in the long run or stick with a low power box without video out. I don't currently have a tv worth hooking a decent box up to so it seems like a bit of a waste.

Another interest is the power, an atom/via based board will run the lightest but how much would an matx system run? How much extra room should I leave for numerous hard drives? 300w?

Atom vs Via any one???

kingnubian could you expand a little on the change to a higher power virtual environment? Why did you change? What sort of hardware/software is it based on?

ImmaPC you sure that mini-Dtx board would fit in that mini-Itx case?

I also considered that Cenbro case, but the price was hard to justify given what I wanted the server to do. IMHO a server isn't a desktop insomuch as once properly set up it runs headless (no monitor, keyboard or mouse) so the look of it usually takes a back seat to functionality. I do prefer small sized PC's though but this is a personal preference.

My present server specs are:

AMD X2 7750 AM2+ CPU
Asus M3A76-CM AM2+ Motherboard
4gig G.Skill DDR2 8000 (Possibly going to 8gig soon)
2x Samsung F1 1Tb SATA2 Drives
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 420W
Cooler Master Elite 360 Case (Great balance of small yet functional)

I've made the decision to run my servers, both production & testing, in a virtual environment. This allows me some well needed flexibility.

1) Virtual machines can be created & destroyed at will without affecting each other.
2) Individual virtual environments can be custom tailored to needs.
3) One PC can run multiple OS's at the same time or multiple instances of the same OS. Great for testing purposes.

I run Proxmox , Proxmox Server Solutions - Mail Gateway, as my bare metal VM manager. It leverages two types of virtualization, KVM & OpenVZ (Open source verision of Parallels). While other notable Bare Metal virtualization platforms such as Vmware ESXi & Xenserver 5 are now free as well, Proxmox does exactly what I need, has built in web based management and as a plus is Open Source software.

The more I read about it, the more the flexibility of going virtual attracted me.

NOTE: Proxmox (KVM) & Xenserver, not too sure about ESXi, requires either an Intel based platform that supports VT-x or an AMD cpu with AMD-V extensions to function properly. On the Intel side this means that E8xxx C2D;s or above & Q9xxx Quads or above as well the motherboard bios must have this support. On the AMD side any X2 or above AM2 & higher cpu supports AMD-v.

This is why I went AMD with my virtual machine build as a cheap but good performing, for what I need anyways, X2 7750 not only is based on the Phenom architecture but has the extensions needed.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply