Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2009, 12:29 PM
Rookie

Default i7 build advice

okay so im finally at the point where i cant really decide on just a few things.
Would really like to order most of the parts from memoryexpress because i am like 10min drive away from one in Edmonton. max budget of 2500, and im gonna be using to play alot of newer games, alot of high def movies and the such (will eventually add blu ray) and would love to hook it up to a 42"+ LCD t.v later on
Here are the parts im thinking to get:

Cooler Master ATCS 840 Black - 239.99 @ Newegg.ca
Windowed side panel for ATCS 840 - 48.00 @NCIX
Intel Core i7 920 - 374.99 @memexpress
TRUE 1366 bracket - 14.99 @memexpress Already have TRUE
MX-2 - 9.99 @NCIX

Cant decide on either getting the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 for 359.99 or the DFI LP UT X58-T3eH8 for 359.99 (gigabyte from memexpress DFI from newegg)
reason im thinking about DFI is mainly for its looks UV reactive, green, and ive heard DFI makes great boards. But im kinda scared about all the BIOS options when it comes to overclocking.

Corsair DDR3 6GB pc3-12800 - 139.99 @memexpress
didnt really know if i needed pc3 12800 but right now at mem express its the same price basically as the pc3-10600.

Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 (2) - 225.98 @ memexpress
Got an Optical drive already

Video card is my biggest decision i cant seem to make. either go for the EVGA GTX 295/w backplate for 659.99 or get 2 GTX 260 core 216 in SLI for 529.98 or even get 2 GTX 275's in SLI for 639.98. For now I'll be running it on a 22" widescreen LCD at res of 1680x1050 but soon i am going to buy either dual 24"s or bigger if i can afford. so eventually im gonna need the graphics cards, for now it'll be overkill but overkill is nice too :p

and for the psu i was really debating on paying the premium for a modular but ultimately decided on getting the Corsair 850 TX for 179.99 @ memexpress

with gtx 295 comes to about 2400 without shipping
with gtx 260's it comes to 2270 without shipping
with 275's it comes to about 20 dollars cheaper than 295 build.

Any advice on my problems or suggestions beyond that would be awesome.

I was also wondering has anyone in the edmonton area gone to get their case powder coated? ive been looking into this myself and haven't really come up with much and would really prefer to get the case painted right instead of spray painting it myself.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Everything seem's to be good. For my part if I where you I'd go to buy the Gigabytes board if you plan to OC, all the option you need are here and easy to use + they have show that they were great board for OC in many OC challenge. You can replace to 1 of the TB by a WD 640 32M much faster for OS and soft and add a second this time a TB for storage, in this point I have a little in for the WD caviar green 32M, silent and good now 109 on newegg.ca. For VGA you can get 1 285,so you wont cry if needed to change in some years and for now she will be over skilled for any you want even on a 42 inch tv. If you realy want sli then go with 2 X 275

Ask for more if needed ;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 8, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

all i can say is don't be afraid of the DFI for overclocking. the T3eH8 is not the intimidating motherboard of LanParty boards past. running up to 200BCLK is pretty much child's play and many newer i7 users have confirmed this in various forums. i haven't used the UD5 but recently had an afternoon with the UD4P. it too seems fairly easy to clock and should be straight forward enough, but if you like the looks of the DFI...don't hesitate based on a fear of the BIOS.

George over at i4memory.com has done extensive work with the T3eH8 and i would recommend having a read of his threads. he really simplifies the quirks and makes the board even easier to use than it is. here are is a link to his excellent work...

DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3EH8 LGA1366 Photos, Bios and Overclocking Information Guide

HTH
Old May 8, 2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Since your distributor have Gigabyte, go with it... they are very strong board... and why care for the shipping cost if you are at 10 minutes...... I guess if you buy from them it will be hassle in case of a DOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBear09 View Post
.......Would really like to order most of the parts from memoryexpress because i am like 10min drive away from one in Edmonton. ......

....... without shipping

Old May 8, 2009, 01:23 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice martin. I was thinking of getting a WD 640GB black because i read people recommending them left and right on this forum. so im really considering it, i just like tons of storage. I will be thinking on that one. The really thing holding me back from choosing a Graphics card is that the GTX 295 has HDMI and i really think it would be a big benifit when watching high def movies when i get the big T.V I want it all high res and no stuttering and I want it to be easy to set up.

And Thanks 3oh6 im going to read that link. i really like the looks of the board and if this thread can make overclocking easier then im all for it. after I read this i'll probably make my decision on the board.

And yes dataxpert i know im that close, but shipping doesnt scare me if im getting a better part. im already thinking of how the DFI board will look in my case under uv light with a few UV green fans :)
Old May 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
Rookie

Oh also another small question, would all these parts have any problems working in Windows 7 right now? I don't really want to buy Vista when 7 is right around the corner and will buy it when it comes out but i'd like to just use the Windows 7 RC