Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 7, 2009, 06:55 PM
ADH's Avatar
ADH ADH is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15
Question Some opinions please.

I'm seriously considering ordering a built comp from NCIX very soon ( yes I'm lazy) for FPS gaming and multimedia. Not too bothered about overclocking, shouldn't need too with an i7 really. I'm budgeting about 2 G's in total (they both are in the $17-1800 range) and have enough NCIX Rewards points for free shipping, plus I save a lot not paying Ontario PST.

I've had good luck with nVidia and Seagate stuff over the years, but would consider ATI or Western Digital. Here are 2 choices I picked from their gaming Builders list and modded a bit. I have an extra 500GB SATA2 HD and a X-FI gamers sound card I can put in. I only need the Tower, I have all the peripherals I'd need. I want a machine that will be able to run the latest games for at least 3 years or so, with minimal upgrades. I'll be using my 22" pair of Samsung monitors @ 1650x1050.

It basically comes down to nVidia or ATI? With the ATI system I could add another card in crossfire I suppose. Thoughts? Changes I should make? Thanx in advance.

Choice #1:
1 x PC Assembly and Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG OS If Purchased)
1 x Please Use The Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBD TruDirect 22X DVD+R/-R Lightscribe DVD Writer Black SATA OEM
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive OEM
1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
1 x Seasonic SS-650HT 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 6PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan OEM
1 x Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio
1 x Radeon HD 4870 750MHZ 1GB GDDR5 3.6GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I
1 x Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1333C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
1 x ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard
1 x Noctua NH-U12P LGA775 AM2 Heatsink Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P12 120MM Fan -12.6-19.8DBA
1 x Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S



Choice #2:

1 x PC Assembly and Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG OS If Purchased)
1 x Please Use The Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x Samsung SH-S223F/BEBN 22X Speedplus DVD+-RW SATA DVD Writer OEM
1 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty
1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
1 x Seasonic SS-650HT 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 6PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan OEM
1 x Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio
1 x GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 576MHZ 896MB GDDR3 1.998GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I
1 x Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1333C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
1 x ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard
1 x Noctua NH-U12P LGA775 AM2 Heatsink Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P12 120MM Fan -12.6-19.8DBA
1 x Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S

Last edited by ADH; May 7, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 7, 2009, 07:27 PM
TimTheEnchanter's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 841
Default

If you think you won't need i7, don't force yourself. Many of us are still with lga775 and are totally satisfied. It may save a lot in your budget and allow you to have a better gpu or cooling.

If you downgrade the mobo/cpu/ram to something compatible with lga775, you could upgrade the gpu to a 4890 or gtx285 without breaking your budget. I'd personnally go with the 285, even though i have the 4870 and runs great.

But, oh well, i suppose many will tell me than i am wrong and you should go with corei7. Well then i'd say these builds are both good. Note that if you ask for the computer to be delivered, the after market heatsinks won't be installed.

Finally, i'd just say : if you don't plan to overclock (you should OC!!), i don't think you need the noctua hsf. If you OC, keep it.

Wait for more feedback, the other members should give better comments about your choice of mobo.

oh and nice time to order at ncix : 10$ gift card for free shipping!!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 7, 2009, 07:53 PM
rapmaster's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 1,016

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
If you think you won't need i7, don't force yourself. Many of us are still with lga775 and are totally satisfied. It may save a lot in your budget and allow you to have a better gpu or cooling.

If you downgrade the mobo/cpu/ram to something compatible with lga775, you could upgrade the gpu to a 4890 or gtx285 without breaking your budget. I'd personnally go with the 285, even though i have the 4870 and runs great.

But, oh well, i suppose many will tell me than i am wrong and you should go with corei7. Well then i'd say these builds are both good. Note that if you ask for the computer to be delivered, the after market heatsinks won't be installed.

Finally, i'd just say : if you don't plan to overclock (you should OC!!), i don't think you need the noctua hsf. If you OC, keep it.

Wait for more feedback, the other members should give better comments about your choice of mobo.

oh and nice time to order at ncix : 10$ gift card for free shipping!!!
+1, don't buy what you don't need, get yourself a better graphic card or better case

The Antec 902 is much better case than the 900 or you can get the HAF if you like full tower.
__________________
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
ADH's Avatar
ADH ADH is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15
Default

I do have budget room to up the vid card...maybe trade off on the cooler...I'll go look at the case. I picked the i7 because I want a machine that will rock games for at least a couple of years or more. Might as well buy as much cpu as I can eh? Can always upgrade the vid card later on.

Thanx.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 7, 2009, 08:52 PM
rapmaster's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 1,016

My System Specs

Default

I'll say get at least a HD4890 or GTX275 for that budget, I'll even get 2 to crossfire/SLI.
__________________
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 7, 2009, 09:25 PM
TimTheEnchanter's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post
I do have budget room to up the vid card...maybe trade off on the cooler...I'll go look at the case. I picked the i7 because I want a machine that will rock games for at least a couple of years or more. Might as well buy as much cpu as I can eh? Can always upgrade the vid card later on.

Thanx.

You can NEVER know if the machine you will build will be enough for a couple of years. You could as well get a lga775 quad core and oc it and it should be pretty good anyway. It's just my opinion, i may be wrong, i may not.

Just want you to notice that you pretty much seem sure that i7 is the only way to go : just be sure you go with it because you want/and will need it and it's not the just the hype of jumping on the latest technology cpus.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 8, 2009, 04:20 AM
ADH's Avatar
ADH ADH is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You can NEVER know if the machine you will build will be enough for a couple of years. You could as well get a lga775 quad core and oc it and it should be pretty good anyway. It's just my opinion, i may be wrong, i may not.

Just want you to notice that you pretty much seem sure that i7 is the only way to go : just be sure you go with it because you want/and will need it and it's not the just the hype of jumping on the latest technology cpus.
When I bought a computer years ago it was the very latest 2 GB P4 + GeForce card (paid a bundle) and you know with just one vid card upgrade and careful XP tweaking it was able to be a decent gaming machine for 5 years. But yeah only top of the line for a lot less time.

I really have never got into Overclocking a cpu, and don't really want to mess around too much with that. I'm a Gamer not a Modder, I can swap out parts but tinkering with the BIOS and adding extra fans and stuff really is more than I want to do. This year I have the cash to blow, next year I might not, and if I a fry a cpu I'm pooched. So my reasoning is to buy the fastest I can afford and hope for the best. Everything I've read online suggests the i7 is the future.

I agree rapmaster, I'll up the vid card to the max I can spend, it is probably worth it and will delay the inevitable new card purchase a couple of years down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 8, 2009, 08:52 AM
TimTheEnchanter's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 841
Default

+1 for rapmaster's build. If you want i7 and future proof, you need more than 650W.

And by the way just a mild overclocking is very easy,secure and gives good results. It is probably overclocking that will make your computer good for a couple of years.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 8, 2009, 09:39 AM
Dave510's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 276

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
And by the way just a mild overclocking is very easy,secure and gives good results. It is probably overclocking that will make your computer good for a couple of years.
+1. I'm overclocked to 3.2Ghz and running at a lower voltage AND temp than stock. As long as you're not pushing 3.8 Ghz+ with an i7 (and as long as you get a good cooling solution) then it shouldn't harm the CPU's life at all, but it'll definitely squeeze out alot more value.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Build - Need some opinions! bedouin New Builds 24 March 9, 2009 09:12 PM
Need some opinions on CF Jackquelegs Power Supplies 6 January 30, 2009 11:20 AM
New Build need opinions FrankyG New Builds 11 September 22, 2008 10:00 AM
New Build - Opinions Please. Loejack New Builds 12 September 17, 2008 01:24 PM
Opinions on build? MarX New Builds 7 August 28, 2008 04:00 PM