Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   WIn XP to boost Gaming? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/17287-win-xp-boost-gaming.html)

jcmaz April 25, 2009 06:53 PM

WIn XP to boost Gaming?

Hi, right now i'm using WIn Vista Ultimate for gaming, but i'm running out of HD space.
So i'm wondering if i should do a clean install and use WIn XP instead?

System specs below

Shadowmeph April 25, 2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 185165)
Hi, right now i'm using WIn Vista Ultimate for gaming, but i'm running out of HD space.
So i'm wondering if i should do a clean install and use WIn XP instead?

System specs below

well you could but I don't see why you would want to if Vista is working I would just remove anything you don't want and clean up everything

jcmaz April 25, 2009 07:01 PM

but there is so much crap in it tho... and will i see any increase in FPS like GRID, COH, Far Cry 2 etc...

Realityshift April 25, 2009 07:41 PM

You need to get an external if you are running out of room on a 320gb hard drive, I was running vista on a similar system with a 320gb and with decent house keeping it never went bellow %50 free space. That being said you may see a framerate boost though it would be small, mostly its going to come from the fact that you can only run those games as dx9 on xp.

upcoast604 April 25, 2009 08:14 PM

I'm using win 7 64 and xp pro 64, win 7 is better on the game end for me. Vista I have no idea never used it and no need to. With the games u listed depending on what res, aa and af u play at the 9600gt could be the weakest link as far as fps. Also I understand vista likes more than 2GB of ram. A gts 250 1GB would get u more fps with that x2 5200 also tighten up the ram timings if u can cl4 preferably.

HaDeS April 25, 2009 10:34 PM

buy another hdd... move crap to other hdd. XP only uses 3gigs of ram btw... it does however run games flawlessly.

enaberif April 25, 2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaDeS (Post 185276)
buy another hdd... move crap to other hdd. XP only uses 3gigs of ram btw... it does however run games flawlessly.

XP 32bit only uses 3 and a bit
XP x64 will use all of it just fine.

Realityshift April 25, 2009 11:15 PM

I really doubt its a ram issue though, I have run vista 32 bit and it ran fine with 2gb of ram on an x2 5000 with a 9800GTX+, my biggest sudgestion is to drop the 9600gt if your looking for frame rates and clean up your hard drive and registry. A defrag might help to.

MpG April 26, 2009 12:30 AM

Practically speaking, some beer-money will double your memory, which Vista will happily take advantage of. And you can grab yourself a 500 gig harddrive for less than an external or a legit OS copy. And usually when you've cluttered up a hard drive, it's time to think hard about doing a reinstall, just to de-crappify your system from all the stuff that builds up over time.

YukonTrooper April 26, 2009 01:42 AM

Majority of games do run better on XP. I suggest an nLite XP install, but that's just my opinion. :biggrin: